The rise of US Women's Volleyball?

4_tattoos

Mojo claims the final playoff spot. Should be Atlanta vs San Diego and Omaha vs Grand Rapids in the semifinals.

SD came a long way, because they looked terrible at the start of the season. Then again Orlando looked like a playoff contender at the start and now they're in last place 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

So the playoffs will be (1) Atlanta vs (4) Grand Rapids, and (2) Omaha vs (3) San Diego. Guess I was wrong in my previous post 🤷🏾‍♂️

6 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Mojo is a tough matchup for the Novas R1, it was 2-2 in the season series, with two of those going five sets. 

But the home team has taken every matchup, so I’d expect us to take care of business in Omaha. 

For the sake of the league, I hope Omaha is in the final. If only to help boost the attendance of the final. I'm sure their tickets are packaged as a presale to attend both (or all 3)... but gotta imagine actual butts-in-seats will be nil if Omaha isn't in the final.

PVF needs a better TV deal for next season with LOVB having games on ESPN's main channel. Working out a deal to have some PVF games air on CBS' main channel would be an ideal counter punch assuming they still plan to partner with CBSSN next year.

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

PVF needs a better TV deal for next season with LOVB having games on ESPN's main channel. Working out a deal to have some PVF games air on CBS' main channel would be an ideal counter punch assuming they still plan to partner with CBSSN next year.

It's not nearly as good as they make it out to be:

"

ESPN platforms will begin the new agreement by airing 10 LOVB Pro matches across its linear networks beginning in January 2025 when LOVB’s inaugural season begins. Eighteen of LOVB’s matches will also stream on ESPN+, the industry’s leading sports streaming service. All match telecasts will include commercial inventory for LOVB to enable brands interested in reaching volleyball’s passionate audience the opportunity to make a big impact across all ESPN platforms.  

"

So ten games will be somewhere on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. There's no guarantee any of them are on the flagship station.

18 will be paywalled on ESPN+. PVF has them on Youtube for free. Good or bad, it's much easier to see a PVF game than it will be for LOVB fans who will have to sign up for ESPN+ to get the 18 non-'linear network games'.

But the caveat emptor for this transaction has to be the final bolded part. This is a time buy. It's a nice way of saying it, but LOVB is the one that has to find the sponsors to fill the slots. If ESPN was paying, they'd be the ones making the money to air them. This is starting to sound more like the XFL deal with ESPN.

Not saying PVF doesn't need a better deal. But for an untested league in an untested pro sport, I think it handled its first season pretty well to put them name out there and what they offer going forward.

40 minutes ago, MalibuSunrise said:

PVF also has 3 expansion teams joining up next season: Indy Ignite, Dallas & Kansas City. 

Any name ideas for Dallas & Kansas City?

For me...:

Dallas Cowgirls: Based on the wild wild west culture, yeah, I know it's using the Dallas Cowboys' name but I thought it would be interesting... 🤷‍♂️

and the Kansas City Witches: Based on the Wizard of Oz.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:32 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Omaha and Atlanta have looked clearly above everyone all year, so much so I’m expecting an upset in the semis. Would be such a new league thing to happen. 

AHAHAHA Called it. Ignore the post where I said Omaha was going to win. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

AHAHAHA Called it. Ignore the post where I said Omaha was going to win. 

AHAHAHA The double reverse jinx!

What a match, Stephanie Samedy was the addition of the year. How did nobody scoop her up before. She nearly single handedly brought us back, San Diego had no answers. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience