The rise of US Women's Volleyball?

4_tattoos

1 hour ago, McCall said:

Why is Atlanta playing twice opening week and San Diego and Vegas aren't playing at all?

🤷🏾‍♂️ They had to get creative with the schedule with an odd number of teams?

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 4_tattoos changed the title to The rise of US Women's Volleyball?

Through the first couple of matches, I'm more optimistic on the PVF than I had been before the season. They seem to have their stuff together on presentation and fan experience.

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another AAF, where everything looked really polished and thought through out of the gate and then it was "Oops, we forgot to have money."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

8 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Through the first couple of matches, I'm more optimistic on the PVF than I had been before the season. They seem to have their stuff together on presentation and fan experience.

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another AAF, where everything looked really polished and thought through out of the gate and then it was "Oops, we forgot to have money."

I'm also curious how much a potential future competitor might be siphoning off financial support that could be better utilized to keep just one league afloat.

22 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Starting at the same time as Year Two of PVF.  

Wait. Season 2 of PVF will begin in November? It was my understanding the LOVB season would begin in November and PVF season 2 starting in January 2025. Hell, even the PVF expansion teams have been reported as entering the league in 2025.

Poked around the Columbus-GR game and I thought it was pretty well done. I feel like they could stand to tighten up the time between points but short of just tossing them a new ball out of nowhere I don't know how you'd do so. Sometimes the delay kind of exists in this valley between basketball starting up right away and tennis having ample time to break down the last point.

I think the biggest challenge they have in telecasting is that net sports are very kinetic and dynamic but the camera work is necessarily kind of static. It's a wider shot than we're used to with basketball or hockey. It almost seems like they came to this realization in real time, as the first set was pretty much parked on a wide shot but there was more zooming and panning as the match went on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Rough travel week for San Diego.

Honestly, the biggest early knock against the PVF is their scheduling. Some teams will have 3 games, while others none? The same team playing twice in a weekend (Atlanta and this week San Diego).... I know it was short notice scheduling to get the league going this year.  But some type of 'opening weekend' that premieres all (or as many) as teams as possible feels wrong.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Since Omaha has been mentioned for NHL expansion, I wonder if an NHL team can get this type of attendance in Omaha?

Without a team in KC, and the closest other teams being St. Louis, Minnesota, Colorado and Dallas (in roughly all directions)... I would think an Omaha team could do quite well. They would 'own' the market all to themselves as the major team. Though Cornhuskers are huge there, they'd not be in the same city as UNL... so they might get more to 'stay home' and watch the local team (even at NHL prices) than drive to Lincoln for non-football sports or to not go to a minor league event in Omaha.

But they could only support ONE major league team and really position themselves as a regional/state team. Trying to draw from Sioux City through Kansas City, from western Nebraska through to Des Moines. And that hurts with Iowa Wild being in Des Moines. Hard to promote yourself there when the AHL team there is named/colored/logoed as one of your would-be rivals.

Would be interesting as I think "Nebraska" would disengage Iowa, southeast SD, northeast Kansas and NWMO potential fans. But would really anchor them to being Nebraska's team. NE has 1.9m people, Omaha metro area (which intrudes into Iowa) has just over 1m. Hard to get folks west of Norfolk/Grand Island/etc to travel, but it would definitely help with viewership numbers to brand as Nebraska. Nebraska/Colorado, Nebraska/Minnesota in NHL would probably carry-over some rivalry.

• Like 1

I wish the floors were a bit more colorful. All that black is kind of dismal, especially if the arenas are going to keep the house lights down. Is there a functional reason that they have to be black?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Having worked with and knowing some people in Omaha sports broadcasting, let me put it like this. Omaha is a sports-mad town. Remember, this was basically the only market where the UFL got something approximating a following. Omaha also has an unusually high number of high-capacity arenas for a city its size.

BUT. You have established fandoms spending their hockey dollars on UNO and the Lancers. When Calgary marched in with the Ak-Sar-Ben Knights, I was told their marketing was mainly "Here's the highest-level product in town, you're welcome, come see it" and that went over about as well as the several other markets where Calgary salted the AHL earth before and after.

You also have to consider that the NHL would probably want another shiny new arena for every expansion team they award, and like I said up there, Omaha has kind of a glut. Plus, basing NHL viability on the other hockey successes in a market that size feels a bit like giving a franchise to Ann Arbor, because look at how they turn out for the Wolverines.

It seems like an NHL success in Omaha would require a high number of things to break just right all in sequence, and even then, your ceiling on success is about 0.6 Columbus.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

12 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So what was the point of having a TV deal with Stadium when there have not been any games played on Stadium?

Don't quote me, but in the chat of one of the games on Youtube, it was said the deal with Stadium backfired and they ended it. Guess it wasn't up to their standards or something with what Stadium was willing to do for the games/league.

No clue if that's accurate, but that's what was said.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Don't quote me, but in the chat of one of the games on Youtube, it was said the deal with Stadium backfired and they ended it. Guess it wasn't up to their standards or something with what Stadium was willing to do for the games/league.

No clue if that's accurate, but that's what was said.

Haven't the Bally's games been moved to Youtube as well?

SN: Did anybody else catch the Omaha/San Diego game? The Supernovas have a local TV partner. The lady commentating went on a mini rant about the University of Oregon's floor (with the forest design) and being distracted by Oregon player's buttcheeks due to how short they wear their shorts.

SN2: PVF to Portland, Oregon in the future? 🤷🏾‍♂️ Seems like Portland is the type of city that would really embrace this league.