The rise of US Women's Volleyball?

4_tattoos

6 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

The lady commentating went on a mini rant about the University of Oregon's floor (with the forest design) and being distracted by Oregon player's buttcheeks due to how short they wear their shorts.

god forbid women have hobbies

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

As someone who got into this league and am cheering for Columbus... it's annoying that their first game was January 25th and their second game isn't until February 16th.  Meanwhile Atlanta has played five games, and Omaha has played four games.

58 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

As someone who got into this league and am cheering for Columbus... it's annoying that their first game was January 25th and their second game isn't until February 16th.  Meanwhile Atlanta has played five games, and Omaha has played four games.

From what I was told Vegas was a (very) late addition to PVF this season, and the league had to scramble to make a 7 team schedule around the available arena dates of every team. May have just been easier had they gone with 6 teams this year🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Seems like LOVB is going to somewhat follow the schedule format of the Premier Lacrosse League. I could be misinterpreting that though.

GGU-zcfbAAA1s8-?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It appears next year PVF and LOVB will compete with each other head-to-head during the same time of year.

https://www.lovb.com/lovb-pro-101

Week of January 6 — First Serve

President’s Day Weekend — LOVB Classic,  in-season tournament

April — LOVB Finals

I really hope the online merch offerings expand a bit. I'd love to get some stuff with Omaha's secondary or tertiary logos.

UPDATE: The Supernovas have partnered with local institution Lawlor's to sell a lot more licensed merch than the PVF's basic offerings. I recall the Nighthawks doing the same in the UFL days.

https://www.lawlorscustom.com/supernova

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Went to the Supernovas game today!

Another attendance record, this time a little over 11.9k. 

The atmosphere was great. It was a step down from a college game, but not by as much as I expected. 

A big part of that was that we didn’t have any team-specific cheers, which hopefully will come in due time. 

Level of play was also awesome. I was super impressed with the serving, you don’t really see balls bend like that in college. 

Merch at the arena was super basic, none of that Lawlor’s stuff was there (at least by the section I was at). 

The merch also didn’t do a good job of establishing our colors since we had a pretty equal mix of light blue, navy, purple, pink, and white stuff for sale. 

Definitely plan on going again if I have time to make it down. 

• Applause 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

10 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Went to the Supernovas game today!

Lucky you!

11 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Level of play was also awesome. I was super impressed with the serving, you don’t really see balls bend like that in college. 

They go out there way to point out most of the players in this league have played major D1 volleyball, played in an high level overseas leagues and/or played in international volleyball competition. I never doubted the quality of play would be an issue.

13 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

The merch also didn’t do a good job of establishing our colors since we had a pretty equal mix of light blue, navy, purple, pink, and white stuff for sale. 

My only gripe with their branding is they have too many colors. It makes since with actual supernovas being colorful, but perhaps they should have pulled a Steelers move as far as having logo colors vs uniform colors.

19 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Another attendance record, this time a little over 11.9k.

Realistically where do you think this team will peak for attendance this season? Keeping in mind Omaha is one of the best teams in PVF and Nebraska is easily the volleyball capital of the US. Could you imagine the arena opening up sections that were previously unavailable? How close do you think they could get to reaching the arena's max capacity?

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

They go out there way to point out most of the players in this league have played major D1 volleyball, played in an high level overseas leagues and/or played in international volleyball competition. I never doubted the quality of play would be an issue.

Realistically where do you think this team will peak for attendance this season? Keeping in mind Omaha is one of the best Could you imagine the arena opening up sections that were previously unavailable? How close do you think they could get to reaching the arena's max capacity?

I knew it would be high quality, but I was still impressed in person. It’s instantly clear you’re watching a level above college, which is awesome. 

I don’t think we have any section off limits currently. Lower bowls were near completely full and there were people in the upper bowls around the arena. 

For a playoff/championship game I think we maybe get up to 15k, especially if it’s on a weekend. 

The arena’s volleyball attendance record is 15.8k for Nebraska/Creighton, and I don’t think this league is at the point yet where it could surpass the two universities. 

I was at that NU/Creighton game and there were still some empty seats in the upper bowl, so there’s still room to grow. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Columbus is playing their first home game. Pretty good attendance. I'm sure the upper decks of Nationwide Arena were not made available, but they have the lower bowl about 80% full going off the eyeball test.

• Like 1