The rise of US Women's Volleyball?

4_tattoos

52 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So how did the PVF do their draft?  Did they do it the usual way in which a player who was drafted gets a baseball cap and/or jersey?  Or the asinine way the PWHL did it?

Don't think any players were physically in attendance, but it appears they did a traditional draft.
410270514_315311898049862_86511631348214

409171096_315888557992196_21060170993858

409201588_315888574658861_56536299579126

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Don't think any players were physically in attendance, but it appears they did a traditional draft.
410270514_315311898049862_86511631348214

409171096_315888557992196_21060170993858

409201588_315888574658861_56536299579126

If they did a zoom thing with the draft picks, did the draft picks wear baseball caps with the team logos on them?  We see this a lot in the NFL Draft.  If not hats, at least some form of team gear.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Here's PVF's schedule. So far they have broadcast for every game up to early March either being carried by Bally or Stadium. I'm trying to figure out what role CBS has in the broadcast equation.

https://provolleyball.com/all-teams-schedule

CBS isn't jumping in until mid-April at best. They're only getting 10 games and championship weekend while Bally Live and Stadium is probably covering the rest.

• Like 1

Saw the Columbus Fury site. Surprised that the cheapest tickets were $25. I know inflation has happened. But, to not have a single ticket for Nationwide arena cheaper than $25 seems like an issue. Unless they plan on a lot of group sales and promotions/discounts. I figured they'd be closer to minor league baseball prices. At least for the worst seats. Meanwhile, the most expensive ticket is courtside, at $150/gm.

• Like 1

Good opening match. Atlanta won in 3-2. They announced over 11K in attendance. That's damn good for a Wednesday night in Omaha.

Had to work so unfortunately couldn’t be there, but great opening night for the league. 

Nearly a reverse sweep and a fifth set that finished 15-13. Only one uncompetitive set too, that bodes well for competitive balance within in the league.

Play was clearly high-level, and the people I know who were there had great things to say about the atmosphere. 

Hopefully the 11k is consistent for attendance. Local broadcast was saying a chunk was grade school classes and youth volleyball teams, so I guess we’ll see. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

Had to work so unfortunately couldn’t be there, but great opening night for the league. 

Nearly a reverse sweep and a fifth set that finished 15-13. Only one uncompetitive set too, that bodes well for competitive balance within in the league.

Play was clearly high-level, and the people I know who were there had great things to say about the atmosphere. 

Hopefully the 11k is consistent for attendance. Local broadcast was saying a chunk was grade school classes and youth volleyball teams, so I guess we’ll see. 

they said in the broadcast that college students have one section they can get tickets free by showing their student ID to get in. So, curious how many utilize it. But it will definitely help the atmosphere which should help the other ticket sales.

• Like 2

Don't know what's going on with Stadium and Bally, but the rest of this week's games are now streaming on the league YouTube channel.

19 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

You'd have to imagine any weekend games would draw the best potential crowds. Want to believe Omaha would've got 15K in the house the game been on Friday night or Saturday.

35 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

You'd have to imagine any weekend games would draw the best potential crowds. Want to believe Omaha would've got 15K in the house the game been on Friday night or Saturday.

kind of surprising they didn't start with an 'opening match' type weekend event with one game starting a week earlier, and put it on a prime day/time. This was a great showing for an opener mid-week. But curious if it keeps high numbers moving into a weekend match. Also curious if maybe the weekday schedule was better for arena availability/pricing.