UFL Branding & Uniform News 2024

DCarp1231

On 3/30/2024 at 1:53 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I don't know why they even have white pants. 

Noticed that the skill players on offense all have the green comms dot on their helmets. Did USFL do that last year? 

On 3/30/2024 at 1:56 PM, Sodboy13 said:

USFL revived two red/gold teams with the Stallions and Stars, and needed to differentiate. So they moved Philly to athletic gold and gave Birmingham the white britches.

Not arguing the aesthetics one way or the other, but there is historical precedent for Birmingham wearing white pants on the road: They did so in 1984 and 1985, too. I'm not sure if having Birmingham go with white pants in 1984 was a deliberate decision related to the similarities with the Stars, as Sodboy suggests. (It seems at least plausible for a fledgling league attempting to establish brands.) But it predates 2022.

• Like 2

KkwqC8t.jpg

Hard to see, but there are the Brahmas jerseys, top center, with the UFL patches on them. This wasn't a patch on top of the old XFL logo, they were stitched on the same as last year's jerseys. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

28 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

A player on Memphis had to get his cleats spray painted. Presumably because they weren’t completely white or included a team color.

It must have worked because he forced then recovered a fumble.

3 hours ago, raz said:

In the sunlight, SA looks yellow, but at home last week, they looked all shades of yellow, including athletic gold! 

I'd say they are closer to athletic gold, but the shoulder loops on the home jerseys are a darker yellow than that of the logo sets. Granted, this is a replica instead of an authentic so the colors may be off. Playing in the Alamodome, they should go with the lighter gold that's on the logos anyways. 

AP1GczPrZmoA6wGw1mV44aMKIOv6ApcWOXXVWLE_

1200x0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

san-antonio-brahmas-v-memphis-showboats.

san-antonio-brahmas-v-memphis-showboats.I also think, today would have been a good day for Memphis to go all white and San Antonio go all grey. I can see how confusing this game was to quite a few people, myself included from time to time. It's not normal to force teams to change colors, but I think it may be necessary next year just to help balance out the preponderance of red and navy blue/black teams in the league. I can already think of a new look for the Brahmas.

5BoinUq.jpg

Just add a teal helmet instead of gold and kee the current uniform designs!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This ^^ goes back to my post from last week, the TV cameras need to do better color balancing, because SA colors seem to depend on the camera watching them! On TV today, they looked much yellower than these photos look. And last week, they looked either yellow, athletic gold or highlighter yellow, depending on the camera shot. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Michigan going all red today 😑

Yeah, when I first saw a picture of what they were wearing, I wasn't looking forward to it. But the two teams against each other didn't look awful. Burgundy vs. red and white with gold mixed in on both sides; it wasn't a bad looking game. Not ideal, but I would take that over the San Antonio/Memphis matchup from yesterday.

I also thought, for as red-heavy as it was, Houston/DC wasn't terrible either. Houston's helmet is garbage, but I liked the other three contrasting elements: white jerseys, blue pants, and red socks. And DC is just a pair of white pants away from having the best (OK, maybe second or third best) uniforms in the league.

Lots of caveats there. And everything I said was "this is not bad" vs. "this is good". Ha. But my point is, this league is at least colorful and the matchups are pretty easy to watch (both aesthetically and it terms of quality of the games, come to it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Yeah, when I first saw a picture of what they were wearing, I wasn't looking forward to it. But the two teams against each other didn't look awful. Burgundy vs. red and white with gold mixed in on both sides; it wasn't a bad looking game. Not ideal, but I would take that over the San Antonio/Memphis matchup from yesterday.

I also thought, for as red-heavy as it was, Houston/DC wasn't terrible either. Houston's helmet is garbage, but I liked the other three contrasting elements: white jerseys, blue pants, and red socks. And DC is just a pair of white pants away from having the best (OK, maybe second or third best) uniforms in the league.

Lots of caveats there. And everything I said was "this is not bad" vs. "this is good". Ha. But my point is, this league is at least colorful and the matchups are pretty easy to watch (both aesthetically and it terms of quality of the games, come to it).

Houston needs to just wear either a white or a blue helmet and call it a day. The all red for the Panthers works when playing the Stallions as well, I just don't like that look. I think if they had a blue jersey for Michigan as well, this would help add some color to the league as well. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Houston needs to just wear either a white or a blue helmet and call it a day.

Or even just go back to the 2020 uniforms (with the new logo, for obvious reasons). That dark silver helmet was miles better than even a white or blue iteration of the current helmet would be.

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

The all red for the Panthers works when playing the Stallions as well, I just don't like that look.

Oh yeah, I'm with you here: It would have looked better burgundy over gold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I’m sure I will get tomatoes thrown at me for this, but…I don’t hate the Roughnecks’ use of navy-red gradients. 

The yoke is the most egregious part of their, and the Showboats, uniforms. The numbers are actually pretty decent in my opinion as well. It just stands out much more than it does on teams like the Brahmas.

Also, something I've noticed between the league store and Dick's Sporting Goods. The styles that don't appear on the league store for the Brahmas, are apparently available at Dick's. Is this the same for some of the other teams? Was this done to help push foot traffic to Dicks? 

24UARMFLBRHMSGRYWXFLA?qlt=70&wid=600&fmt=pjpeg&op_sharpen=124UARMFLBRHMSGRYWXFL?wid=1500&fmt=pjpeg

These specifically are not available at the UFL store, but are available online at Dicks. 

24ELOMFLDFNDRSRDGXFL?wid=1500&fmt=pjpeg

They do have Defenders jerseys with the right sleeve stripes, but with oversized wordmarks. Granted that's the case for all of the teams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

24ELOMFLDFNDRSRDGXFL?wid=1500&fmt=pjpeg

They do have Defenders jerseys with the right sleeve stripes, but with oversized wordmarks. Granted that's the case for all of the teams. 

This is interesting. It reminds me of the NFL replica jerseys made by Rawlings in the late '70s/early '80s that they used to sell at places like Sears or JCPenney. I own this Tommy Kramer jersey as part of a small collection I've bought from eBay sellers that includes a Houston Oilers Ken Stabler and Chargers Dan Fouts. 

spacer.png

• Like 1