UFL Branding & Uniform News 2024

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I always thought the team has always called its red(dish) color burgundy even though the actual color changed when Lombardi came to town.  However, Trucolor refers to the pre-1969 color(s) as maroon and the post-1969 color(s) as burgundy.

I've never heard anyone else refer to any Washington uniforms as being maroon.  Not to Washjack this thread, but does anyone have any insight on this.

According to the team directory in the Colts' 1964 media guide, the darker pre-Lombardi shade was also called Burgundy.

spacer.png

Colts 1964 Media Guide

• Like 4

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, burgundy said:

According to the team directory in the Colts' 1964 media guide, the darker pre-Lombardi shade was also called Burgundy.

spacer.png

Thanks for finding this - it's something like this that I was going to try to look for to see what it said.

I'm not surprised. I think it's more a function of the apparel vendor used than the actual color. I see the Packers still included Navy Blue as their first team color in 1964 🙂

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

53 minutes ago, burgundy said:

spacer.png

Colts 1964 Media Guide

Thanks for finding this.

For the record, in my opinion, the old color looks more what I think of as burgundy than the post -1969 colors.

• Like 4

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Thanks for finding this.

For the record, in my opinion, the old color looks more what I think of as burgundy than the post -1969 colors.

Agreed. I realize there are more precise definitions for these words, but as a shorthand, I usually use the two words interchangeably (with a preference for "burgundy"). However, (again) that's shorthand when distinguishing between red and a darker shade of red. If I were asked to define the two, I would likely define burgundy as having a little purple to it, where maroon is just a straight up dark red. As for however Washington would describe their colors, I would certainly think "maroon" would more closely fit it. And neither really fits Michigan, though I think the Panthers would be closer to burgundy. ("Plum", a reddish shade of dark purple makes more sense than either burgundy or maroon, as others have stated or indicated previously.)

• Like 3

Unfortunately, words used for colors can vary, especially since Nike et. al. make things up for marketing purposes. The only things you can trust are Pantone and other numbers. And the further back you go, the more you have to just estimate. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, burgundy said:

spacer.png

Colts 1964 Media Guide

Why is silver listed as a color for the Browns and Colts?

Didn't Jim Kensil work for the Jets' front office after this?

Also, didn't the Packers phase out Navy Blue before they hired Vince Lombardi or after?

22 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Why is silver listed as a color for the Browns and Colts?

Didn't Jim Kensil work for the Jets' front office after this?

Also, didn't the Packers phase out Navy Blue before they hired Vince Lombardi or after?

Silver - probably in their secondary logos. Brownie the elf and the kicking colt on the goalpost.

Kensil? IDK

Navy Blue? Yep, it was no longer in use at least in 1959 when Lombardi was hired, who famously declared 'we're the Green Bay Packers' (I can't write that with the emphasis on green like he said it, because too many announcers routinely say it with an emphasis on Green, and there's no emphasis on either word). The team was just slow in removing it from its official team color list.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

11 hours ago, raz said:

Unfortunately, words used for colors can vary, especially since Nike et. al. make things up for marketing purposes. The only things you can trust are Pantone and other numbers. And the further back you go, the more you have to just estimate. 

Understood and agreed.

My perception of "burgundy" could be totally different that someone else's.  Someone else could think the current color is more burgundy.

Members of my immediate family attend, or have attended, Lafayette, Washington College in Chestertown, MD and South Carolina.  All three use Pantone 202C as their red(dish) color, but Lafayette and Washington College call it maroon while South Carolina calls it garnet.  Boston College calls it cardinal.

It also doesn't help that teams and colleges occasionally change the specifications while keeping the name the same.  Washington College used Pantone 187C as its maroon until 2016.  Mississippi State uses Pantone 505C as its maroon now but used 202C until 2009.

Okay, I'm done preaching to the choir now.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

54 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Washington College used Pantone 187C as its maroon until 2016. 

I think we can all agree that calling 187C "maroon" is absolutely ridiculous.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I think we can all agree that calling 187C "maroon" is absolutely ridiculous.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

187 & 201 are the more common "Crimson" pantones. 505, 209 and 7421 are usually the "Maroons". 202 and 195 usually float in the "Maroon-Burgundy-Cardinal" catergories. 194, too, but it's closer to a crimson.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Understood and agreed.

My perception of "burgundy" could be totally different that someone else's.  Someone else could think the current color is more burgundy.

Members of my immediate family attend, or have attended, Lafayette, Washington College in Chestertown, MD and South Carolina.  All three use Pantone 202C as their red(dish) color, but Lafayette and Washington College call it maroon while South Carolina calls it garnet.  Boston College calls it cardinal.

It also doesn't help that teams and colleges occasionally change the specifications while keeping the name the same.  Washington College used Pantone 187C as its maroon until 2016.  Mississippi State uses Pantone 505C as its maroon now but used 202C until 2009.

Okay, I'm done preaching to the choir now.

Golden.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

46 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Golden.

Golden what?  Hurricane? Eagles? Knights? Flashes?

😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

The UFL uniform changes are not surprising.  I had only expected minor tweaks and that is what we got.  

I'm still disappointed that with Memphis and Houston we have two teams with the same basic design. Maybe they could have used a design like the Stars or Sea Dragons just to improve on what was left from the teams getting cut. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

39 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The BattleHawks themselves said that their logo is meant to be read as STL when flipped upside down

GIfbySVWMAAs5_y?format=jpg&name=medium

˙ʎʇᴉuɐɟoɹԀ :┴IpƎ pOW

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

16 hours ago, CS85 said:

˙ʎʇᴉuɐɟoɹԀ :┴IpƎ pOW

pǝʎɐld llǝʍ

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter