2024 NFL Changes

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

How often does the league change templates?  There should be some type of restriction on that as well. If a team has to wait 5 years for a change, Nike should have to wait 5 years to implement a league-wide template change.

That appears to be the timeline Nike follows. Since Nike took over as NFL supplier: Elite 51 2012-2016, Vapor Untouchable 2017-2022, Vapor Fusion 2023-???

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

It’s gonna be brown, isn’t it?

GMVtC0JXEAEGKZj?format=jpg&name=medium
spacer.png

Get ready for a pointless brown helmet. This was such a terrible decision by the league. I don't know how much more revenue alternate helmets will generate, but I can't imagine it's enough to justify the NFL looking like a semi-pro league.

• Like 2

Just now, SportsFan12 said:

Get ready for a pointless brown helmet. This was such a terrible decision by the league. I don't know how much more revenue alternate helmets will generate, but I can't imagine it's enough to justify the NFL looking like a semi-pro league.

Just wait 'til they add the 18th game on top of that, which Goodell pretty much admitted to over the weekend.

...more games = more injuries = bad games + increased revenue anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

Just wait 'til they add the 18th game on top of that, which Goodell pretty much admitted to over the weekend.

...more games = more injuries = bad games + increased revenue anyway.

It also means another bye week, which may lessen the injuries because the lesser injuries may have more time to heal. And remember, the NFLPA has to approve the 18th game. The NFL can't just swap preseason games for regular season games at will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleHayes said:

The MLB's pants/jersey problem could easily be applied to all the overhauls Nike has made since they took over (below is from today's UniWatch):

“This has been entirely a Nike issue,” the memo to players read. “At its core, what has happened here is that Nike was innovating something that didn’t need to be innovated.

As many of you know, concern with Nike changes is not new. We cautioned Nike against various changes when they previewed them in 2022, particularly regarding pants. MLB had been, and has been, aware of our concerns as well. Unfortunately, until recently, Nike’s position has essentially boiled down to — ‘nothing to see here, Players will need to adjust.’”

Truer words were never spoken.

Monopolies are bad for business long-term and bad for quality immediately. The leagues know this and still enable them. Of course, one could argue that the Big 4 sports leagues are effectively just monopolies that have been exempted from antitrust regulations. 

47 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

How often does the league change templates?  There should be some type of restriction on that as well. If a team has to wait 5 years for a change, Nike should have to wait 5 years to implement a league-wide template change.

I don't see why it matters, as long as the template isn't forcing teams into a non-trivial design change.  Back in the not-so-distant past, teams would have players in different templates on the field at the same time, and while there were only a few variants, only the Broncos (I think) were really locked into a particular one.

It's hard to see here, but here's a game used Brian Dawkins jersey in a Broncos-ish cut (note the curve of the side gusset and the angle at which the seam connects to the collar.  While in the minority, he was not the only player to wear this style, so I don't think there's anything custom about it:
item_100824_1_244199.jpg

Here's another one:

84865a_med.jpeg

and another one:

s-l1200.jpg

Here's another 2007, game-worn jersey.  I know the other examples were all white, but the majority of white ones from that era are the "normal" template, just couldn't find any game-worn ones to show good images from.

Here's another from the same '06 season as the Dawkins one from above (note the patch).  Also interesting is that these have another seam that runs up around the numbers - I thought it was custom, but since so many have it, maybe it wasn't?  That's a detail I'm sure I'd remember if it was prevalent, but maybe I was slipping back then.

1309b_Auc50_sm.jpeg  

NINJA EDIT: I'm seeing more and more white ones in that style, and not many green ones, so maybe there was some reason for that - definitely not all white ones, but a lot more white than green had that cut.

Here's a 07 image with white jerseys in the "normal" cut (weird that Kolb has the 06 patch while McNabb does not)

8-17-2007-philadelphia-pa-200701731phila

It appears that for '07, some guys wore '06 jerseys with the patch applied.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

29 minutes ago, SportsFan12 said:

See the problem is teams not having the self restraint. No one said all 32 teams have to have three helmets, let alone two.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

25 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

It also means another bye week, which may lessen the injuries because the lesser injuries may have more time to heal. And remember, the NFLPA has to approve the 18th game. The NFL can't just swap preseason games for regular season games at will.

True, but PFT pointed out today that the owners can just lock the players out if they don't agree to the 18th game, which is what they did in 2011. Hopefully that never happens...although the genie is out of the bottle, I wish they'd go back to 16 games.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

True, but PFT pointed out today that the owners can just lock the players out if they don't agree to the 18th game, which is what they did in 2011. Hopefully that never happens...although the genie is out of the bottle, I wish they'd go back to 16 games.

Yeah, I liked the previous schedule format too. It made a lot more sense for breaking up the season and home/road games were divided evenly. But I could see a compromise between the NFL and NFLPA for an 18th game: don't start the Thursday games until October or November, have two games on Thursdays like they're doing on Mondays, and the teams playing on Thursday have that NFL week off. It would give players 10 days to heal and instead of 3, and the NFL could enjoy an image boost along with fewer injuries per game.

I don't understand why the teams playing on Thanksgiving don't already get the prior NFL week off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

Yeah, I liked the 4 and 16 better too. It made a lot more sense for breaking up the season and home/road games were divided evenly. But I could see a compromise between the NFL and NFLPA for an 18th game: don't start the Thursday games until October or November, have two games on Thursdays like they're doing on Mondays, and the teams playing on Thursday have that NFL week off. It would give players 10 days to heal and instead of 3, and the NFL could enjoy an image boost along with fewer injuries per game.

I don't understand why the teams playing on Thanksgiving don't already get the prior NFL week off.

The original USFL used to play 18 games, although they had shorter playoffs. I'm not even sure they had preseason games...they had one 'postseason exhibition' in London in 1984.

One thing I've wondered about...what if the NFL season is so long that the Super Bowl has to be played on Valentine's Day? How will that go over?? I can imagine a lot of fights that day...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The new Texans design look nice. But the darkened navy blue really looks black on my screen. Too close to the Falcons.

Houston and Atlanta have been drinking the "crunk" kool-aid lately.

I swear that each time I saw ATL or H-Town, I knew it's the dirty south slang. Like Big D is for Dallas, B-More for Baltimore, Cisco for San Francisco, Chi-Town for Chicago, and then SOBE for Miami, Florida and heading south into Key West.

1 minute ago, PurpleHayes said:

The original USFL used to play 18 games, although they had shorter playoffs. I'm not even sure they had preseason games...they had one 'postseason exhibition' in London in 1984.

One thing I've wondered about...what if the NFL season is so long that the Super Bowl has to be played on Valentine's Day? How will that go over?? I can imagine a lot of fights that day...

The plan would be to play it on Presidents' day, to capitalize on the 3-day weekend that a lot of people have.

I HATE HATE HATE that idea, because 1) it completely devalues the meaning of the holiday (though it's basically been about applaince and furniture sales anyway), but more importantly, 2) it's a big travel time for many people.  I almost always get a ski house rental for the long weekend, and I'm sure that it's extremely common for people to get out of town for long weekends.

NFL should avoid Labor Day and any other long-weekend holiday.  In theory I get it, and I'd certainly love a free day off after an Eagles SB, but realistically those are so few and far between that I'll deal with using PTO.

• Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

The plan would be to play it on Presidents' day, to capitalize on the 3-day weekend that a lot of people have.

I HATE HATE HATE that idea, because 1) it completely devalues the meaning of the holiday (though it's basically been about applaince and furniture sales anyway), but more importantly, 2) it's a big travel time for many people.  I almost always get a ski house rental for the long weekend, and I'm sure that it's extremely common for people to get out of town for long weekends.

NFL should avoid Labor Day and any other long-weekend holiday.  In theory I get it, and I'd certainly love a free day off after an Eagles SB, but realistically those are so few and far between that I'll deal with using PTO.

Well, that is why you need a new NFL commish. Goodell is not planning well nor is he frugal with decision making. He only goes by what the market team wants and not the consumers.

• Applause 2

11 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

As a long-term single who was dumped on one Valentine’s Day and fired from a job on another, I’d just like to have something good on that day. But even I will admit that having an NFL game on VD would be terrible. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

Cleveland Browns x Brown Derby collab