2024 NFL Changes

1 minute ago, rfraser85 said:

houstonuniform-1.jpg

LOOK: Houston unveils special uniforms honoring Oilers for first game as Big 12 member - CBSSports.com

If this is the uniform the Cougars were planning to use, I can see why the NFL threatened to sue. This does look like an Oilers uniform and could cut into sales of those uniforms. You can't necessarily copyright colors, but you can copyright designs.

How many uniforms do U 0f H sell each year though? And how many people outside of the city are trying to get their hands on them? I'd say the sales are so small as to not threaten the NFL. Since they are changing the jerseys, I'd think they'll more closely resemble the rest of their current uniform set. That should be enough to keep the NFL out of their business. 

DSC03440_YkLLv.JPG&height=300

USATSI_19466868_168392742_lowres.jpg?w=1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's about a color that three NFL teams are currently sharing shades of. If this went to an actual court, the only question is, "How was the NFL injured by this"? Since the NFL and NCAA aren't on the same level, I'd suggest that they are not financially injured, nor are they at risk of someone watching the Houston Cougars playing the Baylor Bears and people thinking the Titans and Packers game got moved to a Saturday. 

Kind of hypocritical for the NFL to claim that a college alt uniform jeopardizes their intellectual property because viewers will think the Oilers are playing, while at the same time approving alternate uniforms for NFL teams that don't look anything like the teams' primary uniforms (Texans), allowing teams to shoehorn black into their uniforms (Commanders), allowing all-black and all-white unitards (the rest of the NFL)... all of which further dilute the brand by making it hard to identify teams in the first place!

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

How many uniforms do U 0f H sell each year though? And how many people outside of the city are trying to get their hands on them? I'd say the sales are so small as to not threaten the NFL. Since they are changing the jerseys, I'd think they'll more closely resemble the rest of their current uniform set. That should be enough to keep the NFL out of their business. 

DSC03440_YkLLv.JPG&height=300

USATSI_19466868_168392742_lowres.jpg?w=1

I don't know about sales for U-H, but if the NFL did nothing, how many other college teams may try to do something like this? One imitator may not be a problem, but the potential for cumulative damage may be worth taking action.

That said, I agree that shutting everything down may be excessive. The Iowa Hawkeyes have been using Steelers look-alike uniforms for decades, so there may be a middle ground somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ruttep said:

This level of pettiness is absolutely warranted after the Titans rubbed the Oilers brand in Houston's face by wearing the throwbacks against the Texans

I want to know how this is petty because the way I see it, they wore Oilers throwbacks against the Texans as a nod. The same reason the Braves wore Milwaukee jerseys in Milwaukee, the same reason why the Lakers wear Minneapolis throwbacks against the Timberwolves and so on and so on.

Houston's sudden love for the Oilers is just stupid.  As far as I know the city didn't want the Oilers to stay, then they got the Texans and things were fine, I never heard a thing from anybody until the throwback was announced. I didn't even hear anything in 2009 when the Titans wore AFL Oilers throwbacks. It's all so sudden and just reeks of desperation.

Guess what dude? You aren't the Oilers. You never were the Oilers and you're never going to be the Oilers. Please stop it.

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

30 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's about a color that three NFL teams are currently sharing shades of. If this went to an actual court, the only question is, "How was the NFL injured by this"? 

It's about this precise shade, used in combination with red, looking like the Oilers - which is very clear from that photo. How are they harmed? Another entity is making money off an image they own. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

I don't know about sales for U-H, but if the NFL did nothing, how many other college teams may try to do something like this? One imitator may not be a problem, but the potential for cumulative damage may be worth taking action.

But I agree that shutting everything down may be excessive. The Iowa Hawkeyes have been using Steelers look-alike uniforms for decades, so there may be a middle ground somewhere.

There's only so many different ways to dress up a uniform within NCAA rules. They're actually more stringent than the NFL.  Bowling Green has used designs similar to the Browns from time to time, but not as much lately as coaches seem to pick whatever is adidas' or Nike's latest team wear look. Granted, the amount of times teams could be on TV at the time was limited so these looks wouldn't have been seen as much as today. 

Paul_Miles.jpg

It's also important to remember that Houston has blue as one of it's school colors so adding it to their football uniforms wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Sky blue is a change though, but not unheard of. Look at the Colorado football teams in teh late 1980's that had blue and gold uniforms before switching back to black and gold. 

ncaa-playoffs-houston-benny-anders-durin

Schedule-1983_Fball_Buffs.jpg

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

48 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I want to know how this is petty because the way I see it, they wore Oilers throwbacks against the Texans as a nod. The same reason the Braves wore Milwaukee jerseys in Milwaukee, the same reason why the Lakers wear Minneapolis throwbacks against the Timberwolves and so on and so on.

Houston's sudden love for the Oilers is just stupid.  As far as I know the city didn't want the Oilers to stay, then they got the Texans and things were fine, I never heard a thing from anybody until the throwback was announced. I didn't even hear anything in 2009 when the Titans wore AFL Oilers throwbacks. It's all so sudden and just reeks of desperation.

Guess what dude? You aren't the Oilers. You never were the Oilers and you're never going to be the Oilers. Please stop it.

I am absolutely not from Houston and can't speak for anyone, but I find it extremely hard to believe that the Titans just wanted to do a tribute to the Oilers by choosing to wear the throwbacks against Houston. The closest comparison I have to this situation is the Carolina Hurricanes wearing Whalers throwbacks, which Connecticut residents are pretty much universally pissed about. It really does feel like a shallow cash grab that's disrespectful towards the previous city to me, and I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.

• Applause 1

11 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I am absolutely not from Houston and can't speak for anyone, but I find it extremely hard to believe that the Titans just wanted to do a tribute to the Oilers by choosing to wear the throwbacks against Houston. The closest comparison I have to this situation is the Carolina Hurricanes wearing Whalers throwbacks, which Connecticut residents are pretty much universally pissed about. It really does feel like a shallow cash grab that's disrespectful towards the previous city to me, and I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.

I don't think it had anything to do with being snide at all, the Titans use to be called the Oilers and are trying to show respect to the Oilers history which is rightfully theirs.

Here is the Utah Jazz wearing a New Orleans throwback against the New Orleans Pelicans.  As I have said before this isn't a farfetched concept.

SQWAMEUAIZMDZDITAPRQAATCQA.jpg

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png

2 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Here is the Utah Jazz wearing a New Orleans throwback against the New Orleans Pelicans.  As I have explained, this isn't a farfetched concept.

SQWAMEUAIZMDZDITAPRQAATCQA.jpg

Ok but did the Jazz leaving New Orleans involve nearly the amount of anger and bitterness that the Oilers leaving Houston did? That's another big part of it to me. Would you consider the Thunder wearing Sonics throwbacks against a future Seattle NBA team or the Nationals wearing Expos throwbacks against a Montreal MLB team to be a respectable tribute?

• Like 6

On 5/1/2024 at 9:22 AM, PurpleHayes said:

University of Houston plans to buck NFL, use Columbia Blue

From PFT

The University of Houston has taken a page from the late Bud Adams’s playbook. Specifically, the school has given a double-barreled-middle-finger to the NFL and the Tennessee Titans.

After abandoning an alternate Columbia Blue color scheme at the direction of the league last year, the University of Houston has reversed course.

We’re doing it,” athletic director Chris Pezman told Joseph Duarte of the Houston Chronicle. “We’ve reviewed everything and come to the conclusion that we are going to proceed.”

Houston has informed the league of its position. As of Tuesday, the NFL had not responded.

“We’re giving them two or three weeks to respond,” Pezman said. “We’re waiting on a response to see if we get one.”

Pezman explained the about-face on standing down.

“We literally have a story we can show the city uses it,” Pezman said. “This isn’t a reach. This is a layup. We’ve got a very defensible position.”

It’s hard to imagine anyone having intellectual property rights to a color. And it surely helps the University of Houston that the Texans recently introduced an alternate uniform that uses the color.

Even if a plausible argument can be made, Big Shield will look like the big, bad wolf if it sues the University of Houston.

(I'd tell the NFL to go ahead and sue, I'd love to see this wind up in court with Goofball Goodell trying to make a claim on the Titans' columbia blue...)

Why should that WOTB, Amy Adams Strunk whine about that. I never seen the Rooney family attack University of Iowa about their uniforms because the Pittsburgh Steelers was very nice to lend it to them because they wanted University of Iowa to be the best campus in the Big 10.

But the Tennessee Titans are a bunch of stingy losers. And that WOTB, Amy Adams Strunk doesn't care about Houston, but wants to latch on her miserable pos father's legacy who got in an argument with Warren Moon over his pay back in 1994 which led him to the Minnesota Vikings. I know that Tennessee Titans :censored:ing owns the designs to the Oilers' uniforms, but for God sakes, they need to take the Art Rooney 1 and Dan Rooney approach.

LIKE I SAID, I BLAME THIS ON ROGER GODDELL'S MAIN FOCUS ON THE MARKETING TEAMS OF THE DIFFERENT FRANCHISE! He had the connections to the owners and marketing team. One of the reasons why Jerry Jones and Goddell does not get along is that Jerry does not want to change his team's iconic image to fit the Marketing Team of the NFL. Jones wants to be his own marketing team; his own empire, and he does not have time on this world left to continue to build on that and his son will succumb to Goddell and the Marketing Team because Goddell thinks that he is the commissioner, that he owns every 32 teams which he does not own the rights to at all. But Amy Adams Strunk started following Goddell like a house broken puppy and decides to suck into the marketing team bs and call him, master.

The NFL Marketing Team does not care for the fans. They only care about making their image fit those jerks who believe that they are doing something innovating for the young athletes because of their likes, dislikes, their taste in wardrobe, their personalities, etc. The Marketing Team shut down people from the ages of these years of 1946-1988. They have shut that age group down and focused more on the 1989-current age groups to appease them.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Huh? 1

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Thing is, the Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans, despite the move it's considered the same franchise (they wore AFL throwbacks in 2009). If the Titans shouldn't wear Oiler unis, then who should?

• Like 1

Watch Katt Williams: Woke Foke | Netflix Official Site

On 4/30/2024 at 2:03 PM, tBBP said:

I read @Chromatic's post as a tongue-in-cheek sarcastic response regarding Denver's (or pehaps Nike's) need to continuously push this 5280 thing as a sub-brand or something, as if its like this big huge deal. The City of Denver doesn't even do that! My point in responding is that at least one other semi-large US city has a higher altitude--but it doesn't brand itself by it! (At least not yet; we'll see what the Lobos do in the coming years.)

@Chromatic if I read your post wrong, feel free to correct my interpretation.

No that's pretty bang on. The 5280s seem incredibly gimmicky. I equate it to something like the Giants putting 'subtle' apples all over the uniform because some people refer to New York as the 'Big Apple'.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Why should that WOTB, Amy Adams Strunk whine about that. I never seen the Rooney family attack University of Iowa about their uniforms because the Pittsburgh Steelers was very nice to lend it to them because they wanted University of Iowa to be the best campus in the Big 10.

But the Tennessee Titans are a bunch of stingy losers. And that WOTB, Amy Adams Strunk doesn't care about Houston, but wants to latch on her miserable pos father's legacy who got in an argument with Warren Moon over his pay back in 1994 which led him to the Minnesota Vikings. I know that Tennessee Titans :censored:ing owns the designs to the Oilers' uniforms, but for God sakes, they need to take the Art Rooney 1 and Dan Rooney approach.

LIKE I SAID, I BLAME THIS ON ROGER GODDELL'S MAIN FOCUS ON THE MARKETING TEAMS OF THE DIFFERENT FRANCHISE! He had the connections to the owners and marketing team. One of the reasons why Jerry Jones and Goddell does not get along is that Jerry does not want to change his team's iconic image to fit the Marketing Team of the NFL. Jones wants to be his own marketing team; his own empire, and he does not have time on this world left to continue to build on that and his son will succumb to Goddell and the Marketing Team because Goddell thinks that he is the commissioner, that he owns every 32 teams which he does not own the rights to at all. But Amy Adams Strunk started following Goddell like a house broken puppy and decides to suck into the marketing team bs and call him, master.

The NFL Marketing Team does not care for the fans. They only care about making their image fit those jerks who believe that they are doing something innovating for the young athletes because of their likes, dislikes, their taste in wardrobe, their personalities, etc. The Marketing Team shut down people from the ages of these years of 1946-1988. They have shut that age group down and focused more on the 1989-current age groups to appease them.

Everytimne you

"WOTB?" 🤔

1 hour ago, jamesizzo said:

Thing is, the Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans, despite the move it's considered the same franchise (they wore AFL throwbacks in 2009). If the Titans shouldn't wear Oiler unis, then who should?

No one. Leave it in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

GMg_EZMaEAAYR77?format=jpg&name=large

Why they didn’t come out with a new number font to match is beyond me.

And I say that knowing the monkey paw could make it awful.

Just adds some disjointed flair now to the dated look

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

It reminds me of the Patriots changing their wordmark a few seasons before their uniform change.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I picture you in a monocle and a top hat sitting in an office above a busy factory sipping tea while saying this. 

Ok. For all the kvetching done around here about injuries and such, I'm just pointing out the obvious financial angle.

Me and my four season tickets are on the paying end of this, not the moneybags end of it.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

20 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

The Eagles look has been dated for about 10-15 years. They really need an update.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

41 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Ok. For all the kvetching done around here about injuries and such, I'm just pointing out the obvious financial angle.

Me and my four season tickets are on the paying end of this, not the moneybags end of it.

I bet I know what seat one of those tickets is for. 

38 minutes ago, JayMac said:

The Eagles look has been dated for about 10-15 years. They really need an update.

Yep! And “white socks with the green jersey” doesn’t count. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1