2024 NFL Changes

6 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

> unveil the return of gold pants

> gets fans hyped up

> decide to wear white pants Week 1

> genius

GW4L1xTXgAAnOw5?format=jpg&name=large

My expectations are so low that I'm simply glad they're not wearing all burgundy

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, tBBP said:

That was touched on pages (and months) ago, as well, but the gold was about that light/washed out on the original uniforms, as well. (Don't ask me why; I have no idea.) I actually had to dig out my '95 Brunell jersey to confirm and sure enough...the gold sleeve trim is just as washed out. One of those head-scratching idiosyncrasies that just make you go, "#WHYTHO?".

Interesting... growing up in Jacksonville, I've never noticed that. I find the deeper shade of gold (the one they've used since at least 2013) to be much better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Or “icy” white socks. 🥶 

6 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

Any player who refers to them as "icy whites" going forward should be forced to put ice cubes in their socks.

13 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Or have Icy 🥶 Hot 🥵 slipped inside his jock strap. 

I am once again reminded why I don’t check the NFL threads as often anymore.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I am once again reminded why I don’t check out the NFL threads as often anymore.

Blame the rest of social media for pushing this trend onto nearly every team in the league.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 2

35 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I am once again reminded why I don’t check the NFL threads as often anymore.

I am once again asking for your financial support to buy tubs of sock dye for every team in the league. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

24 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Blame the rest of social media for pushing this trend onto nearly every team in the league.

The constant whining about it, even in imaginary situations where it’s not actually happening, such as this, is infinitely more annoying than the trends themselves.

We get it, you don’t like monochrome, nor social media interns just trying to connect to younger audiences with something as frivolous as a uniform combo. At least try to be more substantive with your takes.

(This is especially egregious, by the way, being in the “Changes” thread, where uniform combos probably don’t need to be addressed, but rather what’s new in the league for that year. If all of the whining could be reserved to the “Matchups” thread, then I would just know to ignore it. Such is the confusion of having two different threads in the first place, I suppose).

These boards, especially in the NFL threads, have become very “Old Man Yells at Cloud” for the past couple years or so. Because of that, along with the incessant ads that make mobile viewing nearly impossible, I’m very nearly ready to call it quits.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, MJD7 said:

The constant whining about it, even in imaginary situations where it’s not actually happening, such as this, is infinitely more annoying than the trends themselves.

We get it, you don’t like monochrome, nor social media interns just trying to connect to younger audiences with something as frivolous as a uniform combo. At least try to be more substantive with your takes.

(This is especially egregious, by the way, being in the “Changes” thread, where uniform combos probably don’t need to be addressed, but rather what’s new in the league for that year. If all of the whining could be reserved to the “Matchups” thread, then I would just know to ignore it. Such is the confusion of having two different threads in the first place, I suppose).

These boards, especially in the NFL threads, have become very “Old Man Yells at Cloud” for the past couple years or so. Because of that, along with the incessant ads that make mobile viewing nearly impossible, I’m very nearly ready to call it quits.

I’ll admit I can get very “Old Man Yells at Solid White Cloud for being bland and colorless” at times. But please don’t leave. You’re a very good contributor. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I’ll admit I can get very “Old Man Yells at Solid White Cloud for being bland and colorless” at times. But please don’t leave. You’re a very good contributor. 

And I get it, too, “leotard” looks, especially with stripe-less pants, are often pretty stale and uninspiring. I just got done saying that there is absolutely nothing redeeming about the Packers’ new white-out.

But complaining every week that teams like the Saints and Titans are going monochrome, as they’ve done for years, isn’t going to do anything to solve the problem (especially on a relatively niche site such as this), & offers nothing new or interesting to the discussion.

If anything, the trend in football for the 2020’s decade has seemingly been a massive  return to tradition, honestly more than I would have ever anticipated, but even that doesn’t seem to be as appreciated around here as I would have thought.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

If anything, the trend in football for the 2020’s decade has seemingly been a massive  return to tradition, honestly more than I would have ever anticipated, but even that doesn’t seem to be as appreciated around here as I would have thought.

I was thinking about this, especially, yesterday while watching college games. There were so many good looking football games yesterday, and some involved teams that haven't been as traditional in the past decade(s) (e.g. Oregon and Cal). Sometimes, the boards get bogged down in small details (like stripes or collars or shades of a color, etc.) and in turn lose the broader contours of what a game looks like in terms of traditional vs. modern: do the jerseys and pants contrast? Are the teams wearing their school or team colors? I would argue that, before the advent of mix-and-match and alternates en masse (especially those not in the school's or team's colors), most teams wore darker jerseys over lighter or white pants at home, and white jerseys over white or color pants away. So even if the details aren't necessarily "traditional" or explicitly throwback, seeing the Seahawks in navy/navy/grey/navy vs. the 49ers in gold/white/gold/red, for example, feels more traditional than Seattle in navy/navy/navy/navy vs. the 49ers in gold/white/white/white.

Edited by Ted Cunningham
Added a word I missed.
  • Like 7

No fan of mono, but the bengals breaking up the orange with black socks makes it a passable alternate for a game (in their case 2) I say it every year…$1000 helmet, $500 jersey. $200 pant. $200 shoe and the $10 sock can kill the entire look 

• Applause 1
KISSwall09.jpg

8 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I was thinking about this, especially, yesterday while watching college games. There were so many good looking football games yesterday, and some involved teams that haven't been as traditional in the past decade(s) (e.g. Oregon and Cal). Sometimes, the boards get bogged down in small details (like stripes or collars or shades of a color, etc.) and in turn lose the broader contours of what a game looks like in terms of traditional vs. modern: do the jerseys and pants contrast? Are the teams wearing their school or team colors? I would argue that, before the advent of mix-and-match and alternates en masse (especially those not in the school's or team's colors), most teams wore darker jerseys over lighter or white pants at home, and white jerseys over white or color pants away. So even if the details aren't necessarily "traditional" or explicitly throwback, seeing the Seahawks in navy/navy/grey/navy vs. the 49ers in gold/white/gold/red, for example, feels more traditional than Seattle in navy/navy/navy/navy vs. the 49ers in gold/white/white/white.

All true. The problem for me is the teams come so close to modernizing a classic look, but they miss one key detail, or the uniforms aren't uniform on every player in a significant way, and I can't stop looking at that. Call it what you will, but it can ruin a classic uniform to use modern trends I'm not a fan of to begin with.

One thing I've lightened up on personally is when teams wear solid white socks for ABAB or ABBA combos, such as the 49ers with gold/white/gold/white or the Bills with white/blue/blue/white. I have recognized that it's just like what teams used to wear minus the stripes on the socks for the 49ers, or the reverse of my personal favorite white jersey uniform style for the Bills.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 11:22 PM, MJD7 said:

I'd say the trend has been more about a move to minimalism than tradition. Teams decided things like pant stripes, tv numbers, and clashing socks/pants are too much of a distraction from a "clean" look.

Sure, we've gotten teams like the Browns, Bucs, and Jets who've essentially brought back throwbacks as their primaries, but a lot of the other rebrands of the past decade have been stripped down, minimalist looks (Jags, Cardinals, Falcons, Bengals, Dolphins).

• Like 5