2024 NASCAR Season

DCarp1231

On 5/13/2024 at 9:19 PM, infrared41 said:

Gimmick that most fans won't care about.

NASCAR has a history of this tying a money winnings to a race result from Winston million, NoBull 5, and currently with the Dash4Cash, to go in addition to the all star race and clash. I like the return to it honestly. Gives another reason to watch after the season starts hype and before the playoffs. I just hope the last race is at a crown jewel race which would probably be Indy based on how the schedule is currently. 

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

NASCAR has a history of this tying a money winnings to a race result from Winston million, NoBull 5, and currently with the Dash4Cash, to go in addition to the all star race and clash. I like the return to it honestly. Gives another reason to watch after the season starts hype and before the playoffs. I just hope the last race is at a crown jewel race which would probably be Indy based on how the schedule is currently. 

Fair point. I'm not against the idea, I'm all for anything that will grow the sport. Let's hope this helps.

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The newest SHR rumor is the team will be selling its charters to FRM and Trackhouse/Kaulig while scaling down to Xfinity-only.

Ehhhh not so fast, my friend:

Now, if you're unfamiliar with PrivateP*rno (censored just to be safe), she is apparently a NASCAR insider who has posted several silly season related rumors on X for about a year now with a roughly 90% success rate. Examples include Legacy moving to Toyota, Hocevar taking the 77, Jesse Love running for RCR, and Deegan racing the 15 for AM Racing. No one seems to know who she is, whether it's somebody's burner account, or what have you, but she's usually posted news weeks in advance of anything being announced.

So if she's saying that SHR is *not*  selling their operations to FRM and Trackhouse, then I'll honestly take her word for it. 

That being said, let's see how a hypothetical sale of SHR might look in the end:

SHR/FRM Merger:

4 - Berry*

10 - Gragson*

34 - Custer/Herbst

38 - Gilliland

Trackhouse:

1 - Chastain

91 - Z. Smith*

97 - SVG*

99 - Suarez

Wood Brothers:

21 - Briscoe^

Free Agents:

Ryan Preece

*-SHR Charters 

The real monkey wrench that could be thrown into this is whether the rumors of Trackhouse and Kaulig merging actually comes to fruition. If so, that leaves two charters left unaccounted for. If those two do actually merge, that leaves the two SHR charters (the #14 and #41) up for grabs. If they don't merge and Trackhouse just buys SHR's charters, then the question becomes whether Kaulig sells one or both charters. Based on their performance this year in both Cup and Xfinity, I'd say Kaulig selling or merging isn't out of the question.

The 34 car will either be Custer or Herbst. If it's a true merger between SHR and FRM. While instinct tells me Custer should get the seat over Herbst, Herbst has the financial backing from family and Monster to help pay the bills. If SHR's Xfinity program remains open, I could see Custer keeping the 00 afloat. 

There's been some heavy rumblings of RFK and 23XI wanting to expand, with both teams currently running part-time entries for various drivers (#60 for RFK, #50/67 for 23XI). Corey Heim has a couple races under his belt in the NextGen already filling in for Erik Jones and has a few more races scheduled in the 50 later this year. Meanwhile, the 60 car just debuted this year with David Ragan at Daytona, and Supercars star Cam Waters is set to race four races later this season. I'm thinking 23XI is more likely to pursue a third charter over RFK. I don't think Cam going from four races to a full-time effort is the best move, plus there's no other candidate for the third RFK entry unless Herbst takes the 21 and Briscoe reunites with RFK. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The race itself certainly wasn’t the highlight. I like using two compounds but the soft didn’t wear nearly enough and it doesn’t matter any way if you just can’t pass. There was zero benefit to running the hard. Larsen couldn’t pass Hamlin on soft tires that were, what, 50+ laps fresher?  How do they eff that up?

As far as the on-track incident, it seemed like an overreaction from Busch.  And then Stenhouse couldn’t leave so he had two hours to stew.

IUe6Hvh.png

38 minutes ago, See Red said:

The race itself certainly wasn’t the highlight. I like using two compounds but the soft didn’t wear nearly enough and it doesn’t matter any way if you just can’t pass. There was zero benefit to running the hard. Larsen couldn’t pass Hamlin on soft tires that were, what, 50+ laps fresher?  How do they eff that up?

The NextGen car sucks and tire wear or more horsepower isn't going to fix it. NASCAR should either dump the damned thing or only run intermediate tracks. I'm at the point where I'm only going to watch the Xfinity races.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

7 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The NextGen car sucks and tire wear or more horsepower isn't going to fix it. NASCAR should either dump the damned thing or only run intermediate tracks. I'm at the point where I'm only going to watch the Xfinity races.

Speaking of Xfinity series, I’ll honestly never understand why Toyota shifted to running Supra over Camry. What was the actual reason? A shot-in-the-dark advantage?

52 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Speaking of Xfinity series, I’ll honestly never understand why Toyota shifted to running Supra over Camry. What was the actual reason? A shot-in-the-dark advantage?

My guess is Toyota wants to market the Supra to racing fans.

BB52Big.jpg

Kyle put himself in the wall, and he dumps Stenhouse? Ricky had every right to be pissed, wanting to kick his [censored]. Completely unprofessional by Kyle. Ricky was also too, parking in the 8s stall; but that wouldn't have happened if Kyle didn't throw a temper tantrum.

It was the first lap of the damn race, Kyle. No need to race like your underwear was on fire, dude.

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

20 hours ago, infrared41 said:

My guess is Toyota wants to market the Supra to racing fans.

Considering how Chevy and Ford have both switched to their muscle cars over the last 6-7 years, part of me wants Toyota to bring the Supra to cup for consistency. But I understand why they use the Camry since it's their top-selling sedan. 

• Like 1

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I didn’t have an issue with the punch, I did have an issue with Ricky’s dad getting involved and trying to choke him. The 47 guys did too and while I don’t condone the chokehold and feel they should be suspended, but Ricky’s dad should have his hard card pulled for atleast a year. He’s the equivalent of a fan not a team member. When it comes to the car I feel like going back to the narrower tire and smaller rims would combat the problems on short tracks. I will reduce grip and doesn’t rely on more horsepower. They can even keep the one lug if they’re determined too. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This post is going to be pretty long, so please; bear with me.

Today, my favorite driver growing up, Ricky Rudd finally got his call into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. My favorite driver growing up because of the bright orange Tide Ride, certainly had to wait a good, long while to get the honor bestowed upon him, but it was worth the wait.

Him getting close last year raised my eyebrows and filled me with optimism. He just might do it next year! And he did!

It'll mark 25 years in July (before that year's July race at Pocono) that I actually got to meet him in person at a local area supermarket. His team picked it out because they liked the display of all the sponsors (Tide, Downy and Dawn).

Meeting him was a surprise by my parents. I remember the day; it was raining all day and when we got to the store, there was a show car, underneath a pop-up tent to keep it dry from the rain. I knew, instantaneously why we were there. I started shouting and screaming, I was beyond happy.

Once getting into the store, the line snaked around inside, and it was a long wait to meet him, but we eventually did.

Everyone was only allowed one photograph with him, but for some reason they had someone else (who wasn't my mom) snap a Polaroid picture. I don't think he was really expecting it, so when the picture was developed; there was me, in my Ricky Rudd hat and t-shirt, smiling brightly. And Ricky Rudd, looking down at the table, lol. He owned up to the mistake and allowed a second picture, down at my level. I still can't really take a picture good, lol.

I've posted a spoiler of the two pictures in question.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Rudd-Photograph.jpg

TL;DR: My favorite driver growing up is finally a Hall of Famer and I couldn't be happier about it.

Edited by Dalcowboyfan92
Actually spoilered the pictures this time, lol
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

14 hours ago, LAWeaver said:

Considering how Chevy and Ford have both switched to their muscle cars over the last 6-7 years, part of me wants Toyota to bring the Supra to cup for consistency. But I understand why they use the Camry since it's their top-selling sedan. 

I always like to imagine what models other manufacturers would run were they to join the series; obvious picks are Dodge running the Challenger (again) and Nissan running the Z, but wondering if Mercedes would go with the AMG GT or just the E-Class is a fun internal debate.

53Ocz8U.png

Kyle Larson’s 1,100 mile double duty is in jeopardy due to rain at Indy. Estimated start time is around 4 PM today. The 600 is slated to start on time at 6 PM. There’s some discourse amongst fans saying the 5 should sit in the garage until Larson is able to drive with the assumption that he will be granted a waiver.

Larson ran well at Indy but a pit road speeding penalty effectively ended his chances.  Damn. Impressive drive, still!  Was running 6th at the time. 

Heading to Charlotte now.

IUe6Hvh.png

3 hours ago, See Red said:

Larson ran well at Indy but a pit road speeding penalty effectively ended his chances.  Damn. Impressive drive, still!  Was running 6th at the time. 

Heading to Charlotte now.

All that and he still managed to finish top 20 in his first (and hopefully not last) Indianapolis 500. His Cup car is going to feel like it's going 45mph after doing 500 miles in that Indy Car. Damn, those things are fast.

I've been a Larson fan since back when he was driving the 42 for Ganassi.  It's a shame sponsors can't get past his :censored: up in 2020.  He the best driver in motorsports right now and he should be bigger name than he is. What he said was stupid, but it was not malicious. There's no good reason for him to still be paying the price for it. 

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

All that and he still managed to finish top 20 in his first (and hopefully not last) Indianapolis 500. His Cup car is going to feel like it's going 45mph after doing 500 miles in that Indy Car. Damn, those things are fast.

I've been a Larson fan since back when he was driving the 42 for Ganassi.  It's a shame sponsors can't get past his :censored: up in 2020.  He the best driver in motorsports right now and he should be bigger name than he is. What he said was stupid, but it was not malicious. There's no good reason for him to still be paying the price for it. 

He has a two year contract to drive indy