Rebranding the New Orleans Pelicans into the “Skelicans”

pelicanfan

If you’re someone who pays attention to the Pelicans, you may have heard fans raving about this year’s City Edition line. To a point where many people are calling for the team to even rebrand into the theme. And honestly, its for pretty good reason. I’m not one to be impulsive but I really do think the Pelicans hit the mark this year and now have a great opportunity to rebrand (and i rarely give props to this team’s marketing.) 

GEP3nvtWcAAde2h.jpg:large

Purple and green is a color combination rarely used in sports. Let alone purple, *lime* green, and black. Not only is this so unique in terms of sports, but it also speaks to the VooDoo and supernatural culture of New Orleans. It’s something i never thought of before and I personally find it way better than the surface level stuff the team has done like Red-White-and-Blue and Mardi Gras. RWB is just way too commonly worn and Mardi Gras just looks odd outside of Mardi Gras season. So alternatively I think this spooky VooDoo theme would be the perfect concept for a rebrand. 

So with that being said here’s my take on what a Pelicans “Skelican” rebrand would look like. Credit goes to the team for the coming up with the basis of all of this. I’m just branching off it. 

Untitled625-20240204121343.png

So for the wordmark i actually had to recreate the font myself. The font the team used was a custom made one so i had no choice but to piece together every letter i can find from promotional pieces. i tried to upscale them as much as i can, put them all together on a template, and then put it through an AI font maker to clean things up. So it’s not perfect but it’s close. 

For the middle logo, it’s of course the famous “Skelican” logo that many fans have been raving about. I couldn’t find any official file of it so again, i cut it and upscaled it myself. fun fact: there's still no official file of the logo anywhere so when you google for the Skelican all you can find is my edited version lol

And for the third logo, i have no idea if this would be legally allowed in the real world but i combined the old New Orleans VooDoo logo with the secondary "bird de lis" logo the team currently has. And then adjusted colors accordingly. This probably wouldn’t be allowed but it’s fun to imagine for concept purposes. And i’m sure the team can pull off something like this the right way if they wanted to. 

Untitled717-20240204222240.png

And for this main logo, this surprisingly took a long time to make, longer than anything else here. But long story short, i managed to combine the smaller city edition logo with the bigger official logo the Pelicans have used (up until this year they decided to remove it for no reason) Also added a little drop shadow to the letters mostly so the NEW ORLEANS doesn’t just blend in with the green bones. 

And for the jerseys, I actually wanted to do more but didn’t want to stray too far from the familiarity of the city jerseys. I have to admit I was not sold on the plainness of the official jerseys that came out so I added some more striping so the colors can pop more. 

Untitled598-20240204122802.png

Untitled605-20240204123345.png

Untitled607-20240204122819.png

For the City Edition jerseys here’s some designs of my own that take a less traditional route. The first one goes all in with the skeleton theme with a bone-like font, pinstripes made of bones, and a skull pattern all around the uniform.

Untitled606-20240204134432.png

For the second jersey i was inspired by the one of the retro Hawks jerseys with the big bird in front. with how much the fans love the logo i thought this would be a bold but slick way to incorporate the logo and let it do the speaking. 

Untitled591-20240204122914.png

And as a bonus here is my third city jersey concept, this actually came from an old concept I made before this season. As you can see I went for a ghosty teal color to pair with the purple. Added VooDoo doll stitching on the sides and used a haunted spooky font. Then i added the new logos and recolored accordingly

Untitled592-20240204183817.png

And if you’ve made it this far, congrats. I now lastly present my court design. Personally this is my favorite part as it required the most thinking from me. I was mostly inspired by the current home floor that includes Louisiana nature all around the border. So I took that same design and took it up a notch by using dead trees and *flying Pelican Skeletons* at the top. and at the very bottom of the court is the classic “Let The Good Times Roll” motto in French.

As for inside the court, I of course used the beloved “Skelican” logo at center court and in the 3pt arch’s I added more Pelican Skeletons. Is it a *little* horrifying? yea, but one can say that perfectly fits the vibe of New Orleans

Untitled354-20240204194606.png

Untitled682-20240204123056.png

edit: fixing some images that aren’t appearing let me know if there’s any empty pictures

• Like 7
  • Love 8
  • Applause 5

IMG-7122.gif

15 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

If you’re someone who pays attention to the Pelicans, you may have heard fans raving about this year’s City Edition line. To a point many people are calling for the team to even rebrand around the theme. And honestly, its 

for pretty good reason. I’m not one to be impulsive but I really do think the Pelicans hit the mark this year and now have a great opportunity to rebrand (and i rarely give props to this team’s marketing.) 

GEP3nvtWcAAde2h.jpg:large

Purple and green is a color combination rarely used in sports. Let alone purple, *lime* green, and black. Not only is this so unique, it also speaks to the VooDoo and supernatural culture of New Orleans. It’s something i never thought of before and I personally think it’s a lot better than the surface level stuff the team has done like Red White and Blue and Mardi Gras. 

So with that being said here’s my take on what a Pelicans “Skelican” rebrand would look like. Credit goes to the team for the coming up with the basis of all of this. I’m just branching off it. 

Untitled625-20240204121343.png

So for the wordmark i actually had to recreate the font myself. The font the team used was a custom made one so i had no choice but to piece together every letter i can find from promotional pieces. i tried to upscale them as much as i can, put them all together on a template, and then put it through an AI font maker. So it’s not perfect but it’s close. 

For the middle logo, it’s of course the famous “Skelican” logo that many fans have been raving about. I couldn’t find any official image of it so i had to cut it and upscale it myself.

And for the third logo, i have no idea if this would be legally allowed in the real world but i combined the old New Orleans VooDoo logo with one of the secondary logos the team currently has. And then adjusted colors accordingly. This probably wouldn’t be allowed but it’s fun to imagine. And i’m sure the team can pull off something like this the right way if they wanted to.

Untitled717-20240204083154.png

And for the main logo, this surprisingly took a long time to make, longer than anything else here. But long story short, i managed to combine the smaller city edition logo with the bigger official logo the Pelicans have used (up until this year they decided to remove it for no reason) Also added a little drop shadow to the letters mostly so the NEW ORLEANS doesn’t just blend in with the green bones. 

And for the jerseys, I actually feel like i could have done a lot more but i didn’t want to stray too far from what the City Edition jerseys look like. I have to admit I was not sold on the plainness of the actual jerseys that came out so I added some more striping all around so the colors can pop more. 

Untitled598-20240204122802.png

Untitled605-20240204123345.png

Untitled607-20240204122819.png

For the City Edition jerseys here’s some designs of my own that take a less traditional route. The first one goes all in with the skeleton theme with a bone-like font, pinstripes made of bones, and a skull pattern all around the uniform.

Untitled606-20240204134432.png

For the second jersey i was inspired by the one of the retro Hawks jerseys with the big bird in front. with how much the fans love the logo i thought this would be a bold but slick way to incorporate the logo and let it do the speaking. 

Untitled591-20240204122914.png

And as a bonus here is my third jersey concept, this actually came from an old concept I made before the Pelicans came out with their City Edition stuff. As you can see I opted for a teal color to pair with the purple. Added VooDoo doll stitching on the sides and used a haunted spooky font. Then i added the logos and recolored accordingly

Untitled592-20240204183817.png

And if you’ve made it this far, congrats. I now lastly present my court design. Personally this is my favorite part as it required the most thinking from me. I was mostly inspired by the current Pelicans home floor that has Louisiana nature all around the border of the court. I took that same design and took it up a notch by using dead trees and *flying Pelican Skeletons* at the top. and at the very bottom of the court is the classic “Let The Good Times Roll” motto in French.

As for inside the court, I of course used the beloved “Skelican” logo at center court and in the 3pt arch’s I added more Pelican Skeletons. Is it a *little* horrifying? yea, but one can say that perfectly fits the the vibe of New Orleans

Untitled354-20240204194606.png

Untitled682-20240204123056.png

These are sharp, fun, and unique. Could we see a neon green jersey concept?

• Love 1

thank you so much everyone! glad you guys enjoyed my work

19 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Could we see a neon green jersey concept?

I had a few ideas but didnt think anyone would actually wanna see a neon green jersey lol. but since you asked i'll probably add them and whatever other ideas i have as time goes on. i've got quite a few more

• Like 1
  • Love 1

IMG-7122.gif

• 2 weeks later...