Weirdest NBA Uniform Matchups

It's a common complaint around here that the dozens upon dozens of alternates and City edition uniforms in the NBA have made it difficult to tell which team is which at times. What are some of the wackiest uniform matchups you've ever seen in the NBA, where one or both teams look nothing like their primary identity?

[VAGUELY GESTURES AT THE NBA SCHEDULE SINCE 2017]

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

31 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Lakers-Thunder.png

Hot take I like this matchup and I loved the purple/powder blue fauxback look for the Lakers. It just looked so out of place on their primary court. Wish they made a fauxback court with powder blue to match these jerseys

• Like 2

On 7/10/2024 at 3:12 PM, throwmesomepics said:

Hot take I like this matchup and I loved the purple/powder blue fauxback look for the Lakers. It just looked so out of place on their primary court. Wish they made a fauxback court with powder blue to match these jerseys

The reason the Lakers never have had a matching court is the storage in the arena with the Clippers there. I am sure, and hope, that changes with the Clippers in Inglewood now. 

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I wonder if this is an unpopular opinion but I'd rather the court not change to match the alternate uniform. I prefer to see the primary look reflected on the floor, which "seems" more permanent than the laundry.

• Like 5

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

21 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I wonder if this is an unpopular opinion but I'd rather the court not change to match the alternate uniform. I prefer to see the primary look reflected on the floor, which "seems" more permanent than the laundry.

I mean, you're not wrong. And, I agree with you. However, I do love a change that is reflective team's throwback jerseys. 

• Like 1

Is there such thing as a “weird” uniform matchup for the nba? At this point the only matchup that maybe weird now is if teams wear their traditional white at home and regular colored jersey on the road.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

On 7/10/2024 at 4:16 PM, throwmesomepics said:

There's also this thunder grizzlies game where both teams showed up in white

It's wild to me that this would happen. Seems like the home team should be able to run into the locker room and change to a different uniform. 

Did they play the game like this? All of it?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

as a pelicans fan and jersey nerd i will always remember this one (two toned cavs vs tricolor pelicans)

new-orleans-pelicans-v-cleveland-cavalie

or this one (purple green and gold striped pelicans vs purple black and gold lakers on a jarring navy pelican court)

los-angeles-lakers-v-new-orleans-pelican

also honorable mention to any matchup that involves the away team looking more like the home team (ex: bulls wearing baby blue at home while playing rockets/raptors/blazers)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

It's wild to me that this would happen. Seems like the home team should be able to run into the locker room and change to a different uniform. 

Did they play the game like this? All of it?

I think they delayed the start of this game so the thunder could change into colored uniforms. I forget if they wore blue or orange that game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwmesomepics said:

I think they delayed the start of this game so the thunder could change into colored uniforms. I forget if they wore blue or orange that game

The Grizzlies actually changed into their dark blue jerseys.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, minaj_nicki said:

Hello there🙂

It might be difficult to identify clubs in the NBA because of the number of alternate and city edition uniforms. Games where both teams dress wildly unusual colors make for some of the greatest uniform mismatches.

Why this shyit sound like it was written by ChatGPT?

2483115_nxeosjolm2c981k_full.jpeg

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

washington-wizards.jpg

Any time this uniform was worn was a a weird matchup. These and the Mavericks trash bag uniforms.

Thanks to NBA Live 2008 these horribly ugly uniforms will live on forever. 

• LOL 2

XM4KeeA.png