OK Folks, you asked for it...

buzzcut

1984: Nine teams remain after a period of consoldation and attrition: Chicago Sting, Golden Bay Earthquakes, Minnesota Kicks (formerly Ft. Lauderdale Strikers), New York Cosmos, San Diego Sockers, Tampa Bay Rowdies, Toronto Blizzard, Tulsa Roughnecks and Vancouver Whitecaps. Season length, 24 games.

1985: After the NASL decides not to continue it's indoor operations, the Sockers permanently move to the rival Major Indoor Soccer League. The NASL responds by creating a new San Diego squad, the Sharks, and adds FC Seattle to create a ten-team league. League also abandons Shootout format to decide games, reverting to traditional Penalty Kicks. Season length goes to 26 matches. League implements salary cap to contain costs.

1986: FC Seattle changes name to Seattle Sounders. Leagues adopts international standard for keeping standings and abandons overtime. Downing Stadium in New York is rebuilt to serve as Cosmos' new home (22,600 cap.).

1987: Charlotte Eagles and Saint Louis Stars join to make a 12-team league. Three divisions are setup (North, South, West). 28 matches this season. ESPN signs two-year deal for 24 broadcasts, including playoffs.

1988: Soccer Bowl championship reverts to one game, neutral site format. Minnesota Kicks move to rebuilt Parade Stadium (24,582 cap.). United States awarded 1994 World Cup.

1989: League announces plans to create a 2nd division by 1992, a 3rd division by 1995 and a 4th division by 2000. League also plans to implement relegation-promotion vehicle with expansion. League adds Houston Hurricane, Montreal Manic, Rochester Lancers and Winnipeg Wolves to give the league 16 teams. Four divisions this year (Canadian, East, Central, West). 30 games this season. ESPN extends contract to 1991. Chicago Sting opens LaSalle Bank Stadium (31,000). Vancouver moves back to Empire Stadium. NASL players help USA qualify for 1990 World Cup in Italy.

1990: 27 cities bid for spot 2nd division to launch in 1992. Saint Louis opens Gateway Field (28,663). Split-season implemented this year to allow players to represent their countries in World Cup.

1991: First 12 2nd division cities are chosen: Boston (Revolution), Buffalo (Stallions), Denver (Colorado Caribous), Detroit (Express), Edmonton (Drillers), Los Angeles (Aztecs), Memphis (Rouges), Nashville (Metros), Orlando (Lions), Philadelphia (Fury), Portland (Timbers) and Washington (D.C. United). On August 26th, the NASL announces that it would absorb the Baltimore Blast, Cleveland Crunch, Dallas Sidekicks and Wichita Wings from the MISL, which soon folds. San Diego Sharks merge with Sockers with the latter named retained. Rochester Lancers open Kodak Stadium (32,130). Montreal Manic move to Percival Molson Stadium (24,776).

1992: 2nd division begins operation with 16 teams. Divisional structures are abolished. 36 games per team in both divisions. Leagues announces new 2nd division teams in Austin (Texas FC), Fort Lauderdale (Florida Strikers), Indianapolis (Indiana Frogs), Miami (Toros), Milwaukee (Rampage), New Orleans (Swamp Dragons), Ottawa (Intrepid) and Pittsburgh (Spirit). Thanks to 5-year agreement, USA Network becomes main telecaster with a weekly "Match of the Day" and extensive playoff coverage. FOX network airs Soccer Bowl from Rochester. 2nd division champion Portland, along with Los Angeles, Cleveland and Memphis move to 1st division for 1993. San Diego Sockers win U.S. Open Cup, this being the 1st year NASL clubs enter.

1993: Both divisions have 20 teams each. 38 games is length of season. Cleveland changes name to Force, while Dallas changes name to Tornado. Winnipeg and Houston are relegated to 2nd division for 1994. New system gives regular-season champion of 2nd division an automatic spot in 1st division the following season, while playoffs determine the 2nd squad. In this system, playoff winner Washington joins RS champion New Orleans in 1st division for 1994.

More to come (trust me) :D

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Part 2: 1994-present

1994: NASL shuts down for a seven weeks to accomadate the USA hosting the World Cup, resulting in the latest finish in league history (October 29th). League awards 3rd division squads, starting play in 1995 to Albuquerque (New Mexico Geckos), Anaheim (Surf), Cincinnati (Kids), Oakland (Stompers), Oklahoma City (Slickers), Salt Lake City (Saints), San Antonio (Thunder) and Virginia Beach (Mariners). FOX Sports expands contract to include 20 weekly games on Saturdays. "Match of the Week" moves to Wednesdays on USA Network.

1995: 48 teams and three divsions now make up NASL. All three divisions have 36 game schedules. Golden Bay changes designation back to San Jose. ESPN2 selected to broadcast 2nd and 3rd division games. Saint Louis Stars win U.S. Open Cup. NASL 1st division champion Minnesota Kicks represent North America in FIFA club championship.

1996: League formalizes plans for 2000 and beyond: 16 teams per division in 2000, 18 in 2002 and 20 in 2004. New stadiums for Charlotte and Indiana open. Montreal Manic takes the Canada Cup. Florida Strikers win the U.S. Open Cup.

1997: 1998 expansion teams awarded to Calgary (Boomers), Jacksonville (Tea Men), Kansas City (Comets), Little Rock (Arkansas Diamonds), Newark (New Jersey Rockets), Phoenix (Arizona Inferno), Sacramento (Skyhawks) and San Francisco (Fog). ABC and ESPN replace FOX and USA as main broadcasters. Florida wins 2nd consecutive U.S. Open Cup. Toronto Blizzard claims Canada Cup. NASL 1st division champion New York Cosmos wins FIFA Club Championship.

1998: 3rd Division grows to 24 teams with expansion and 40 games. GlobalTV begins regular network broadcasts in Canada. NASL awards radio rights to ESPN Radio. NASL and NASLPA reach long term agreement regarding the CBA. Despite a roster composed exclusively of NASL players for the first time, the USA goes winless in World Cup in France. Arizona Inferno become first team to play in a retractable-roofed stadium (Bank One Ballpark). Minnesota Kicks win U.S. Open Cup. Winnipeg Wolves win Canada Cup.

1999: Expansion teams to start in 2000 are awarded to Atlanta (Chiefs), Bethlehelm, Pennsylvania (Stoners), Birmingham (Grasshoppers), Columbus (Crew), Des Moines (Breeze), Las Vegas (Quicksilver), Louisville (WildCards) and Richmond (Royals). Edmonton Drillers beat Tampa Bay Rowdies 3-1 in Soccer Bowl '99 in Los Angeles, the last NASL game of the 20th Century.

Both teams also win the Canada Cup and U.S. Open Cup, respectively.

2000: NASL 2000 is celebrated in a year-long party, cumulating in the 1st division Soccer Bowl held at Giants Stadium. 4th division begins play. All teams play 36 game schedules. Edmonton repeats as Canada Cup champions and also takes FIFA Club Championship.

2001: 2002 expansion clubs awarded to Boise (Rooks), El Paso (Spurs, later Patriots), Jackson (Chargers), Knoxville (Impact), Omaha (Brigade), Providence (Oceaneers), Syracuse (Salty Dogs) and Toledo (Twisters). Due to September 11th attacks on America, the NASL calls off rest of regular season and begins playoffs early. Edmonton wins Canada Cup for the 3rd straight season, even though they are relegated to 2nd division. Washington D.C. United wins U.S. Open Cup.

2002: 72 teams in operation (18 per divsion). Schedule is 38 games in length. NASL adopts a very strong anti-doping plan. San Francisco Fog set a record by going from 3rd division to 1st division in 2 seasons. Edmonton goes in reverse dropping to 3rd division, just 3 years after winning the 1st division. Vancouver Whitecaps win Canada Cup. Washington wins U.S. Open Cup again.

2003: NASLTV is launched, broadcasting games from all four divisions. 2004 expansion teams are awarded to Chattanooga (Cats), Fargo-Moorhead (Rapids), Hamilton (Steelers), Hartford (Hellions), Lansing (Locomotiv), Madison (Gunners), Raleigh-Durham (Shamrocks) and Spokane (Shadow). Toronto Blizzard win the Canada Cup. Minnesota Kicks claim 2nd U.S. Open Cup and 1st Division Soccer Bowl.

2004: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN Radio extend agreements to 2010, also includes ESPN Deportes and ESPNHD for the 1st time. Pepsi becomes title sponsor of 1st division. Samsung does likewise for 2nd division. Agreement with United Soccer Leagues allows for USL Pro League champ to join NASL in place of last place team in 4th division starting this year.

Champions:

1985: New York Cosmos

1986: Seattle Sounders

1987: Tulsa Roughnecks

1988: Minnesota Kicks

1989: Minnesota Kicks

1990: Houston Hurricane

1991: New York Cosmos

1st: Saint Louis Stars

2nd: Portland Timbers

1st: Toronto Blizzard

2nd: New Orleans Swamp Dragons

1st: Toronto Blizzard

2nd: Cleveland Force

1st: Minnesota Kicks

2nd: Dallas Tornado

3rd: New Mexico Geckos

2nd: Florida Strikers

3rd: Pittsburgh Spirit

1st: New York Cosmos

2nd: Portland Timbers

3rd: Ottawa Intrepid

1st: Dallas Tornado

2nd: Miami Toros

3rd: Anaheim Surf

1st: Edmonton Drillers

2nd: Ottawa Intrepid

3rd: Charlotte Eagles

2000:

1st: Los Angeles Aztecs

2nd: Philadelphia Fury

3rd: San Francisco Fog

4th: Columbus Crew

1st: Washington D.C. United

2nd: San Francisco Fog

3rd: San Antonio Thunder

4th: Calgary Boomers

1st: Vancouver Whitecaps

2nd: Wichita Wings

3rd: Virginia Beach Mariners

4th: Louisville WildCards

2nd: Milwaukee Rampage

3rd: Columbus Crew

4th: Providence Oceaneers

That's all I was able to muster up, so enjoy.

MofnV2z.png

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Um....

...this is fiction, right?

I guess I don't get it. :wacko:

Yes indeed. If you have any ideas, feel free to post them. :P

MofnV2z.png

"OK Folks, you asked for it..., THE NASL Chronolgy-post 1984(very long)"

We did?

I should of said THE NASL Chronolgy-Post 1984, followed by, just one man's opinion. Heck for the sake of it, I have done a comprehensive redesign of all NCAA Division I conferences on a college sports message board. No, I will not post it.

MofnV2z.png

Um....

I guess I don't get it.  :wacko:

A few changes . . .

After their 1984 Championship season the Chicago Sting change the team's name to the more apropo Chicago Muthafukas.

Champions:

1985: Chicago Muthafukas

1986: Chicago Muthafukas

1987: Chicago Muthafukas

1988: Minnesota Painful Nipples

1989: Chicago Muthafukas

1990: Houston Sweaties

1991: Idaho White Supremacists

1992: Chicago Muthafukas

1993: Season cancelled when the world as it was once known is destroyed in a global thermo-nuclear meltdown caused by an accidental pushing of "the button" by then President Bill Clinton, who was doing the "I'm gettin' some great head" leanback on his desk and unfortunately leaned right on the button. Talk about blowin' a load.

CGP.gif

You want fiction?

Boston Red Sox: World Chmpions 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 1946, 1967, 1975,1986, 2003

Chicago Cubs: World Champions: 1907, 1908, 1910, 1929, 1932, 1938, 1945, 1989

Don't make me put my foot down! :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Um....

A few changes . . .

After their 1984 Championship season the Chicago Sting change the team's name to the more apropo Chicago Muthafukas.

Champions:

1993: Season cancelled when the world as it was once known is destroyed in a global thermo-nuclear meltdown caused by an accidental pushing of "the button" by then President Bill Clinton, who was doing the "I'm gettin' some great head" leanback on his desk and unfortunately leaned right on the button. Talk about blowin' a load.

*Sips tea* Not a happy ending there....

Yeah, Idaho overcame a lot....those robes are tough to play in.

Um....

A few changes . . .

Champions:

HILARIOUS lol

Archived