So which teams are actually allowed to wear black?

ColeJ

Just curious: Why did black become so fashionable, anyway?

because it's a color that looks good on sports uniforms... black goes with anything. black fits into any color scheme, just as white does. and black merchandise just sells more easily. maybe it has to do with black being slimming? :)

and to everyone who is saying "well that team doesn't even use black at all, why should they be allowed to wear a black alternate?" well... no reason. the way i did this whole thing was to just imagine that team's uniform, only with black used as the primary color. if it looked decent, i allowed it. :)

i think some of you are taking this whole thread too seriously, as it was mainly started as a conversation starter of just how silly it is to completely disallow a color to be used on uniforms :)

some uniforms, for traditions sake, like the red wings, habs, or celtics, shouldn't use black, because they've had basically the same uniforms forever, and currently have zero problems with readability, color bleeding, or color seperation...

i mainly just think it's a little funny that black is considered it's own whole new color, while white and grey are lumped together in the "fair game" category. imo, grey-scale colors, from white to black, are basically free game for anyone who wants to use them... but as i said, some teams just shouldn't change a thing.

and i believe i said the dodgers could wear it, because it's LA, and LA teams can get by with a lot of things, because rappers, celebrities, and other people like that would embrace it and make it supposedly acceptable :) again, some of you are taking it too seriously.

but to reitterate, this thread wasn't about who SHOULD wear black. i can't think of any team currently that NEEDS a black alternate jersey (except for maybe the buccs, because as i said, that just looked great in madden)... it was a thread about who is hypothetically allowed to wear black :) who could get by with it, basically.

but as i said, this is open to different opinions. anyone can make their own list, and i'm sure it would be honored by the other readers.

In an '80s frame of mind, MLB black caps and jerseys allowed for:

Giants

Pirates

Orioles

The 1993 expansion exception... black caps only allowed for:

Marlins

Rockies

And I'll reluctantly allow the White Sox to keep their black look, because it's a classic and it beats having another red, white and blue look. All others must lose the black except maybe as minor trim / shadow -- Royals, Rangers, Mets, Devil Rays, Diamondbacks, Astros, BLUE Jays, REDS...no caps or jerseys for these teams.

At least that's how I'd do it in MLB. Next up, who is allowed to have pullover jerseys... :)

NHL:

Pacific

Dallas Stars

Phoenix Coyotes

WHAT?!? :shocked: You don't think the Kings should wear black, even though they have been since 1988?!?

Back then, it was only LA, Boston, Vancouver and Pittsburgh who wore black jerseys (see year 1988-89 at nhluniforms.com). Now everyone wants to do it (including 10 other NHL teams, Canucks no longer included). Hell, if the Sacramento Kings can wear black, why not the LA Kings, who possess all the senority and whatnot?

Sorry, I'm just a very defensive LA Kings fan AND I WANT OUR PROPER RESPECT! :P

I like the Kings in purple & gold/yellow

6ebd7f18.png

When playing EA's NHL I use this uni when the Kings come up on the schedule...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I like the Kings in purple & gold/yellow

6ebd7f18.png

When playing EA's NHL I use this uni when the Kings come up on the schedule...

And also the RIGHT LA KIngs Goalie!!!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

In the CFL the Alouettes had an all-black alternate uniform, which they shouldn't have donned, because there's hardly any burgundy/red in them.

I'm glad the Stampeders and the Tigercats got rid of their black pants. They were getting so dull, especially the Ti-Cats. The roughriders is getting to be a problem...they wear black pants ALL THE TIME!!! What is up with that?!!!

The only team that's allowed to wear all black is Ottawa. That's it. Case closed.

Just curious: Why did black become so fashionable, anyway?

blame teh Pale Hose and LA Kings. They decided to copy the Raiders colors, and there was also (at least with the Paleys) a "Good Guys Wear Black" ad campaign...i still remember t-shirts that read that exact quote and came in Kings, Sox and Raiders. After that, it was the radical new trend :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

In the CFL the Alouettes had an all-black alternate uniform, which they shouldn't have donned, because there's hardly any burgundy/red in them.

I'm glad the Stampeders and the Tigercats got rid of their black pants. They were getting so dull, especially the Ti-Cats. The roughriders is getting to be a problem...they wear black pants ALL THE TIME!!! What is up with that?!!!

The only team that's allowed to wear all black is Ottawa. That's it. Case closed.

What about BC?

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

What about BC?

I meant "all" black, meaning jerseys AND pants. BC wears black jerseys only. They're fine, although their orange ones they wore last year looked pretty nice.

Archived