Boston's incapacity to beat History

Swiss

Lowe started game 4 though. So he's probably more fatigued then most in the Sox bullpen.

I think having a guy like Wakefield gives the Sox a pretty big advantage in the bullpen department. He's coming off of a very good game, and only pitched 4 innings or so and being a knuckle ball pitcher makes him available to throw tomorrow night, probably.

I think the Yankees could've been a lot smarter with their bullpen than they have been. The Red Sox were kind of shorthanded to begin with.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the online news, I found that this Game 5 was the longest ever in postseason history.

But... and the famous game between Astros and Mets (1986 NLCS)? That lasted 16 innings but I didn't remember the time of play.

Tonight the Red Sox and Yankees played 14 innings in 5 hours and 49 minutes.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Well they definately didn't 'play' for 5 hours 49 minutes... players were stepping out of the batters box after every pitch for 5 of those hours.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

That need sto be stopped 5 hour games are not fun when ppl are steping out and another thing FOx did they have to play taht sounder every friggen minute we know Astros Cards is on FX

I didnt need to hear da da ding da da ding every friggen minute.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well they definately didn't 'play' for 5 hours 49 minutes... players were stepping out of the batters box after every pitch for 5 of those hours.

I didn't say that they played 5 hours and 49 minutes.

I said that they played 14 innings in 5 hours and 49 minutes (5:49 the duration of the 14 innings).

And, yes, I agree with you, it was annoying to see each batter stepping out after every pitch!!!

pennants.png

The Yankees have beaten themselves the last two game. You have to be able to throw strikes.

True -- but outside of Mariano Rivera and Flash Gordon they have been pitching good and throwing strikes, and that was supposed to be the Yankees biggest advantage over the Sox. And now, can Mariano go tomorrow after 2 straight 2 inning games?

I doubt Rivera will be available. That's advantage Boston right there.

Won't mean anything if Lieber pitches like he did in Game 2, though.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I don't have a problem with the batters stepping out after every pitch. They have to be in their comfort zone, and with how much they played the past 3 days, they had to be physically and mentally tired and hitting the ball is tough enough.

I thought that even more annoying was when Tom Gordon was pitching, and I don't remember who was on first, but it was somebody that could run -- and what had to be for literally about 5 minutes, Flash Gordon kept either stalling and throwing off the runners timing, throwing over to first, or stepping off the mound.

Now, I could understand this maneuver if a great base stealer like David Ortiz was on first, but seriously... ^_^

And David Ortiz was safe, by the way.

And Ryan... Lieber pitched great because the Red Sox didn't make him pitch. He had something like 45 pitches after 5 innings, or something like that. If the Red Sox would've gone up and taken some pitches, they could've gotten something going.

IUe6Hvh.png

And Ryan... Lieber pitched great because the Red Sox didn't make him pitch. He had something like 45 pitches after 5 innings, or something like that. If the Red Sox would've gone up and taken some pitches, they could've gotten something going.

We agree on many things, but I feel as though the reason Lieber pitched great, wasn't because the Red Sox didn't make him work, it's because they couldn't make him work. He was pounding the strike zone, working both sides of the plate. I can't complain much about the Sox against him because he really did pitch balls out. You lay off a pitch and he'll nail the corners on you. He did an excellent job his first time out.

And Ryan... Lieber pitched great because the Red Sox didn't make him pitch.  He had something like 45 pitches after 5 innings, or something like that.  If the Red Sox would've gone up and taken some pitches, they could've gotten something going.

We agree on many things, but I feel as though the reason Lieber pitched great, wasn't because the Red Sox didn't make him work, it's because they couldn't make him work. He was pounding the strike zone, working both sides of the plate. I can't complain much about the Sox against him because he really did pitch balls out. You lay off a pitch and he'll nail the corners on you. He did an excellent job his first time out.

True, true. But there were tons of occassions were the Red Sox went up and swung on the first pitch. Johnny Damon, despite his struggling clearly had the best at bat of the game for the Red Sox. He was able to make Lieber pitched 15 pitches, or something like that. All they have to do is make him work, he is beatable.

IUe6Hvh.png

Well, if the Curse of the Bambino is true, it certainly is weakening.

If the Red Sox do force a Game 7, and if they win that game, then that will go down in history as the greatest comeback and upset in MLB history.

Not all of sports history, IMO. That honour goes to the 1941-42 Toronto Maple Leafs, who also erased a 3-0 deficit, but in their case, it won them a Stanley Cup.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Incredible! The umps overruled the blooper!

Now, I see the replay... it's hard to believe that Rodriguez was too cheater! He intentionally beaten Arroyo's arm!

pennants.png

The Umps have decided who they wantto win.

Teh CUrse is over the Sox have won this series Game 7 is a mere fromaility they should give rings to these umpires.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Teh CUrse is over the Sox have won this series Game 7 is a mere fromaility they should give rings to these umpires.

Maybe in the case of that Bellhorn HR, but that A-Rod single was clearly intentional interference. They were right to call him out.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Of course the umpires have decided who they want to win. That's why Ortiz was called out last night on Jeter's phantom tag, right?

I'd rather see the umpires gather together and make the right decision than see my team win unfairly. Apparently, your priorities lie elsewhere.

And for the record, I'm a big Yankee fan.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Well, if the Curse of the Bambino is true, it certainly is weakening.

If the Red Sox do force a Game 7, and if they win that game, then that will go down in history as the greatest comeback and upset in MLB history.

Not all of sports history, IMO. That honour goes to the 1941-42 Toronto Maple Leafs, who also erased a 3-0 deficit, but in their case, it won them a Stanley Cup.

And the '75 Isles. (They are the only other team to come back from 3-0 to win a 7 game series)

I'd rather see the umpires gather together and make the right decision than see my team win unfairly. Apparently, your priorities lie elsewhere.

And for the record, I'm a big Yankee fan.

I'm agree with you. I only hope that every umpire is going to call every play rightly.

If he gets wrong, he is simply a human being.

pennants.png

Archived