No More "Enima Gastrointestinal Center"

JamesCraven

According to reports on the internet, the Fleet Center will be no more. The building's name will be changed to the Bank of America Garden in the forseeable future. This gives BOA three stadia/arena name rights deals. The others are BOA Stadium in Charlotte and BOA Center at Hec Edmundson Pavillion on the campus of the University of Washington in Seattle. The name change coincides with the merger of FleetBank with BOA.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

According to reports on the internet, the Fleet Center will be no more. The building's name will be changed to the Bank of America Garden in the forseeable future. This gives BOA three stadia/arena name rights deals. The others are BOA Stadium in Charlotte and BOA Center at Hec Edmundson Pavillion on the campus of the University of Washington in Seattle. The name change coincides with the merger of FleetBank with BOA.

With all the enema talk, did anybody notice the "Garden" part?

Nice to see that BOA decided to take a page from history and sort-of name the new place after the old one.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

"And Enima Gastrointestinal Center' has to do with this...how?

--"Roger 'Time?' Clemente."

300.jpg

"Does dis answer your question?"

-Bugs Bunny.

Thanks, J. Quincy.

By the way, I was doing a little Keith Olbermann back in his ESPN day in the 1990s, when he disdained corporate arena names, hence "The Enima Gastrointestinal Center."

The only reason people were confusing the arena with some anal-cleansing device was when Fleet took over Shawmut Bank (the original naming rights to the arena), one of the names mentioned was the Fleet Forum. That name reminded people of enemas. Not FleetCenter, sometimes known as the Vault.

Bank of America didn't want to call the building the Bank of America Center, because there's already an arena with that name (Washington state?). They were also hesitant of calling it Bank of America Garden, because they know soon people will just call it the Gahden or the New Gahden.

When I think of Fleet, I either think of my bank, or a convoy of vehicles. If Fleet makes you think of enemas, well, that probably says more about you than most of us care to learn.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Bank of America didn't want to call the building the Bank of America Center, because there's already an arena with that name (Washington state?). They were also hesitant of calling it Bank of America Garden, because they know soon people will just call it the Gahden or the New Gahden.

I can tell you that almost no one, unless they have to, calls it the Bank of America Arena at Hec Edmundsun Pavilion. To all Seattleites and Pac-10 basketball fans, it will always be Hec Ed.

Nice to see that BOA decided to take a page from history and sort-of name the new place after the old one.

I always thought that since Fleet is actually FleetBoston, the arena's name should have been the FleetBoston Garden if they were going to keep the sponsorship.

Yes, OneManManyFacets. Shawmut was bought by Bank of Boston, then in turn Fleet bought Bank of Boston, and ultimately Bank of America merged with Fleet. I should know. What we call Wachovia Center was first named CoreStates Center, then the First Union Center (or as one person dubbed it, the "Obscene Initials Center") before Wachovia merged with First Union.

this is what happens when you take a corporate name to an arena. now i don't mind corporate names if it can be integrated in to the name in a decent mannor. for example Pontiac Silverdome or Ford Field. pontiac especially has historical implications with chief Pontiac. FOrd i like because its named after Henry Ford who essentially invented the modern automobile. if any arena should be taken after a coporate name, why not Harley-Davidson? B)

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

this is what happens when you take a corporate name to an arena.  now i don't mind corporate names if it can be integrated in to the name in a decent mannor. for example Pontiac Silverdome or Ford Field.  pontiac especially has historical implications with chief Pontiac.  FOrd i like because its named after Henry Ford who essentially invented the modern automobile.  if any arena should be taken after a coporate name, why not Harley-Davidson?  B)

I thought it (Silverdome) was named for the town it was in? :suspect:

Yeah, the Silverdome is located in Pontiac, Michigan!

And, oh by the way, jpslapshot22, BOA Garden has a nice ring to it as well. It marks where tradition is.

There is also the Bank of America Centre in Boise Idaho.

BTW

Any news on a new name for Bank One Ballpark? Bank One is merging with JP Morgan Chase very soon and Bank One will become Chase.

Signature intentionally left blank

BTW

Any news on a new name for Bank One Ballpark? Bank One is merging with JP Morgan Chase very soon and Bank One will become Chase.

Boise is in Canada now? :flagcanada:

Just spell it Center! Stupid BoA.

BTW

Boise is in Canada now? :flagcanada:

Just spell it Center! Stupid BoA.

Well is Boise is in Canada, then so is Orlanda. i.e. TDWaterhouse Centre.

I saw, I came, I left.

"Any news on a new name for Bank One Ballpark? Bank One is merging with JP Morgan Chase very soon and Bank One will become Chase."

By next year, it could be Chase Field, which will the end of the Bank One Blast for D-back bombs.

• 2 months later...

Archived