Minnesota Vikings' new purple

Jungle Jim

I love the Vikings new metallic helmets. They look fantastic, and as someone said, they match the jersey color now. It used to bother me that they didn't.

Whomever is responsible for getting the helmet and jersey colors straight for the Vikings needs to get on a plane to Salt Lake City...

Most "purples" on team uniforms look too "blue" for my taste, mostly on TV.

Examples include the Vikings jerseys and most notably, the Lakers away unis.

That 'metallic' purple helps a bit.

It is what it is.

I'm a fan of the Tarkenton era "grape kool aid" purple the Vikes used to use. The metallic purple and corresponding shade used for the present uniforms is just a tad too light for my tastes, especially in the harsh indoor lighting of the Metrodome.

Most "purples" on team uniforms look too "blue" for my taste, mostly on TV.

Examples include the Vikings jerseys and most notably, the Lakers away unis.

That 'metallic' purple helps a bit.

Interesting comparison, since the Lakers and the Vikings use the same Pantone Textile colors for their uniforms:

19-3737 TC - "Heliotrope"

The Vikings' Purple has changed at least twice according to my research. Assuming that the color remained relatively close to the same from 1961 through 1996 (the NFL didn't start using Pantones until 1980 or so), here's what I have:

1961 through 1996:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS PURPLE

1997 through 2001:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS PURPLE

2002 through present:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS PURPLE

RickV, that horn is definitely smaller, but apparently just as long.

BrewCity, I had never thought about that, but you're right. That horn was developed before they had the ability to do 3D stuff, but I'm sure that they could now develop more of a 3D-looking horn without destroying the old concept. Maybe add some shadowing or something?

Archived