Minnesota Vikings' new purple

Jungle Jim

I much prefer the old traditional purple that they used to use. I was looking at their helmets under the lights last night on MNF, and they look much too blue-ish. I'm not so sure the metallic look helmets work with purple, either.

Anybody else prefer plain ol' purple for the Vikings? In fact, they could've lightened the shade on their old helmets. Not too much, but just a little.

While I'm at it, I must say that the Vikings' helmet logo is among the best in football.

I agree with you except about the helmet logo. It is a great logo, but the team shrank the size of the horn about 25 yrs ago, and since then it just doesnt look as good as when it was larger, and seemed to fill up almost the entire side of the helmet. I also wish they would go back to the white jerseys with the purple pants. I know that most of the board hates the purple pants, but I wonder how many have actually seen old color photos of the Vikings from the early 60's when they last wore them. They look very classy, in my opinion. Ok, ready for the barrage of anti-purple pants flames.

metslogo_215.gif

I'll try to scan an old photo I have with Hugh Mc Elhenny wearing the white jersey and purple pants combo. I'd have to say that the purple jersey and purple pants combo DOES look gruesome though, but the White jersey and purple pants looks good. I'll also try and post a photo of the Vikings jersey with the larger Vikings horn, so that you can see what I'm talking about.

metslogo_215.gif

noooo sir. havent worn them since the Purple Fiasco ( B) ) we all know the all purple fiasco is something to avoid.

No no, the purple fiasco is fine. It's the Joel Fiasco you should avoid like the plague.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

*like* the plague?

He IS the plague.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

i totally disagree with you on this one. i think the metallic purple is the 2nd best helmet colour in the league, only behind that amazing shade of metallic blue the seahawks use. the packers and redskins metallic colours are also gorgeous.

i think more teams should go that route. it makes the helmets look more classy, rather than just cheap plastic. i think the rams could go metallic blue, and teams like the steelers and ravens could use that awesome metallic black that the Ti-Cats and Renegades of the CFL use.

and teams like the steelers and ravens could use that awesome metallic black that the Ti-Cats and Renegades of the CFL use.

Does anyone have high quality photos of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and/or Ottawa Renegades helmets?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Those screenshots, have the Vikes purple tops and pants. Is this the first all one-color uniform in NFL history?

I believe it was, in the modern history of the NFL. The story with it goes that during half time of a game against Detroit, the Vikings changed into the all purple uniforms, I think because both teams were wearing white jerseys, which I think was against NFL rules. The Vikings were already wearing their then standard purple road pants, so were forced to go with all purple. The story as I hear it was that the results were so "horrible" that the Vikings never wore the purple pants again after that game. If anyone can correct me on that story please do. Somewhat of a shame because I, for one, really dig the white jersey with purple pants combo.

metslogo_215.gif

Something that always bothered me was how the Vikes have different stripe patterns in their purple and white jersey. I really like the shoulder stripes on the white jersey, and think they could do the same with the purple jersey and it would look nice. I think they're the only team in the NFL to have such a pattern difference, except for maybe the AZ Cardinals.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived