Sacramento Capitals

eddie010

Gordie and I have been hard at work for the last little while coming up with a brand-spankin' new logo package for lopernv and NickGGilbert's NALA team, the Sacramento Capitals. Colours are black, white, purple (PANTONE 228), gold (PANTONE 1235), light yellow (PANTONE 1205) and silver (PANTONE 429). Now, without further blabbing, the package:

SACRAMENTO CAPITALS LOGO PACKAGE

A quick explanation:

-The main colours of gold and reddish purple represent Sacramento, with gold for the gold rush, and reddish purple for the local wineries.

-The Bear is a symbol of California (duh!).

-The Star is the map symbol for a capital city (double-duh!).

-The Sun/Star logo was an idea Gordie had. We bothed liked it, and it stayed.

-The 'SC' in the lacrosse basket has a double meaning: Sacramento, California -or- Sacramento Capitals. Neat, ain't it?

So we hope you all like it. Comments/Critiques appreciated, as usual.

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

Couple of things...

• The primary logo reminds me a lot of the Washington Capitals building logo... "Capitals" written in a serifed font under an image of the government building's dome.
  • I'd lose the shoulders of the bear and just have the head (the shoulders make it appear more stationary and less aggressive).

Otherwise, quite nice. You've done well with both the building, wordmarks, and bear. Keep it up!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Couple of things...
  • The primary logo reminds me a lot of the Washington Capitals building logo... "Capitals" written in a serifed font under an image of the government building's dome.
  • I'd lose the shoulders of the bear and just have the head (the shoulders make it appear more stationary and less aggressive).

Otherwise, quite nice. You've done well with both the building, wordmarks, and bear. Keep it up!

Have to agree on the bear's shoulders...

But overall it's a good look...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks for the comments, guys. :grin:

Initially, we did have just the bear's head. Though it looked mostly like a bear, it had kind of a canine or feline resemblance as well. Adding the broad shoulders made it unmistakably a bear, to my eyes.

I also like the way the ears, shoulders, and chest of the bear fill the space between the points of the star when the bear and star are combined.

Eddie, Gordie, are you both Irish?

Anyways, I dont know how to thank you guys. I love these logos so much. Thanks again!

Eddie's family is Scottish, so he employed a thistle in his new personal logo, which we used for a watermark.

Glad you like the logos, lopernv. :grin:

This is a great identity package. Love the use of the Bear with & without the star. I agree that 'Sacramento' should be on the primary logo, otherwise I don't find the building to be recognizable as an international icon. I'd think it's a Washington team on first sight. Very slick looking presentation wise. I applaud that.

However...

I'm not a fan of the thistle logo for your corporate identity Eddie. i understand what you're trying to achieve as the meaning behind the graphic, I just think it needs to be re-evaluated. it's bulky looking.. maybe if it wasn't displayed so large and bold all the time it wouldn't boter me so much. you have it so large on your presentation file that it's as large as the logos you are presenting.

And is that like a version of the Dark Crystal font you used for your font in your identity? Ugh...... my eyes...

I'm not a fan of the thistle logo for your corporate identity Eddie. i understand what you're trying to achieve as the meaning behind the graphic, I just think it needs to be re-evaluated. it's bulky looking.. maybe if it wasn't displayed so large and bold all the time it wouldn't boter me so much. you have it so large on your presentation file that it's as large as the logos you are presenting.

And is that like a version of the Dark Crystal font you used for your font in your identity? Ugh...... my eyes...

Hey, buddy, don't sugar-coat it, now! Thanks a million for your constructive criticism. Means a lot coming from the man who once criticized someone's work with this everlasting quote:

It looks stupid. Don't bother trying if you're just going to come up with garbage.
and then followed it up with these wise words:
...yeah but seriously.....condoms suck!

Now I believe it was the ever-talented AgainstAllOdds who once proclaimed:

Sex is cleaner if you package your weiner.
but that's beside the point.

The thistle logo isn't used for my 'corporate identity', because I am not, nor intend to be, in the logo business, such as yourself. I don't know if it's a superiority issue with you, that you need to criticize another's work harshly, who happens to be of a younger age than you, or if it's a deeper issue, perhaps a psychological one, taking out your anger against the world onto the fine members of this community. Whatever the issue(s) is/are, I don't need to know about it/them. Think of my logo simply as an identifying mark, mostly for my school projects and concepts on a message board you take a tad too seriously. If you've had a problem with my logo all this time, why didn't you approach me earlier on, when I unveiled it and actually asked for some C&C? Also, what's wrong with Dark Crystal? I find it's a font that matches my logo best, and I dig its sharpness. iDonovan used the same font on one of his magnificent logos; you're not going to tell me any of his work is "garbage", are you? Bottom line is I like my logo, and it's staying.

Guys, sorry about my rant, I couldn't leave what wcg said undefended. Thanks for all your kind words, hope to see some more comments! :grin:

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

I think I've cleaned up my criticism in a far more constructive way. I in no was stated it was garbage, I mearly gave you some honest opinions of what I thought about the design. I wasn't sugar-coating anything. I think the whole package is a tight design and I like how it was presented, very professional looking.

Dont get angry because I wasn't as positive as most people around here. It's nice to get compliments on a design but sometimes people have issues with it. it's not like I said it was garbage, so take it easy.

Anyways, I dont know how to thank you guys. I love these logos so much. Thanks again!

Eddie's family is Scottish, so he employed a thistle in his new personal logo, which we used for a watermark.

I could of told you if you work together (both Irish, though), you can make some green shamrock logo thing, it was a vast thought.

I could of told you if you work together (both Irish, though), you can make some green shamrock logo thing, it was a vast thought.

That's not a bad idea. I'll try to get Eddie to let me work a shamrock into the thistle logo for our next project. :grin:

Thanks for the comments, guys. I think you're right about the dome logo, so we'll add 'Sacramento' to it.

Slacker, you're right. As nice as it is to hear praise, criticism is just as helpful and important for people to improve their designs. For what it's worth though, I like Ed's thistle logo.

Archived