Ohio State Buckeyes

andrewharrington

yes, i know, dont kill me before you take a look at least. basically i wanted to do something on this template. what i gather is jp redrew the template from uniforms past/present, and so i redrew it with modern modifications like cap sleeves and what not, added some detail and shadows along the lines of jps, and drew an entire side view because i dont like the "stripe detail" box that appears on the others haha.

anyway, my pet peeve with ohio states jerseys, and any jerseys that use northwestern striping, is that it doesnt match anything else on the uniform. for instance, ohio states pants striping perfectly compliments its helmet stripe, and always has, but the cauy monstrosities on the sleeves are just kinda there. northwestern striping is so big and gaudy that it just sticks out to me like a sore thumb on ohio state, on iowa, on the steelers, and formerly, the packers, etc.

i created a new block O logo and included a new buckeye leaf logo, a logo that is currently much underused in my opinion. i simplified the current wordmark, but kept the same style. i updated the helmet award decals to a one color version of the same buckeye leaf i created. the one change i made to the unforms, you guessed it, is to get rid of the sleeve stripes. in place of them, i used the buckeye leaf as a sleeve logo. yes, i realize the stripes have been there since 1968, but i cant stad them. northwestern stripes belong on northwestern, if anybody. i also realize that the leaf may be difficult to see on the scarlet jersey as depicted, but i believe it would look much fantasticker in real action, as a twill patch, in which case you could even place an outine around it for contrast.

oh yeah, i also placed the new block O at the base of the collar. enjoy and feedback.

Ohio-State-University.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I just don't feel it. nice look, just not OSU to me. The current Packers stripe with alterations would look better IMO. The loog you have as the primary is the old one and boring IMO as well. I think Brutus needs to get some pub. OSU should do like cleveland State did and make their logos fit the sports.

NICE JOB THOUGH :wink2:

the stripe thing is just a personal hatred of mine, and this is actually the same uniform, but without the sleeve stripes, but the logo i made is different than the current one(s), a little cleaner and more modern.

OhioStateBuckeyes5.GIFOhioStateBuckeyes6.GIF

i do agree with you that brutus should see more camera action. i like this one for an alternate logo maybe.

OhioStateBuckeyes7.GIF

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

These uni's are just too plain. What the Bucks have now is much better looking and are too tradition rich to toss out because you hate sleeve striping. The only thing i ever thought would be different but a nice addition is the O with the stripes through it placed in the middle of the sleeve stripe. But now that they switched to the new O design, I'd leave those uni's alone. Just like Michigan and Army.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I like your work, but I just don't think it'll fly. Personally, I don't mind the stripes, they just say football to me. This seems like a change just for a change. But like I said, you did a great job, and yes, Brutus should be used more.

(PS-Maybe it's just because I'm a college student, but that Buckeye leaf looks awful like something that isn't quite a Buckeye :P)

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

bah, all you traditioners haha. :D im actually from ohio too, and am quite traditional when it comes to uniform design, but also really simple. less is more for me, and those stripes are too much i guess. i mean, theyve won 2 national championships with them, but in almost 40 years. they won before woody put them on there. its really not a change just for a change. i actually think the stripes make them look too busy, so i suppose i was going for a more plain look, in response to mj and rockchalk. haha and maybe it looks like an illicit drug, but that would have seven leaves, and the buck only has five. ^_^ and yes, those grey bucks jerseys around are absolutely ridiculous.

Brownie, have you seen the GRAY fasion jersey floating around town here?

How's THAT for "commericalization"? :evil:

Brownie, have you seen the GRAY fasion jersey floating around town here?

How's THAT for "commericalization"?  :evil:

lol, i HAVE! They worry me a lil...we know how much Andy Geiger likes to sell his University. I also saw a black fashion jersey, needless to say it's REALLY ugly

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

oh man, i think i do remember seeing a black one too. yep, i did, and i threw up a little bit in my mouth when i saw it. it was gross.

the only concept ive seen for tOSU that i actually liked had the collar solid black and a heavier black line around the arm stripes. The numbers were also triple layered in scarlett, white, gray, and black, depending on if it were home and away. It was very UCLA and Lions-esque, and I'm one of the few fans of black here. I'll see if i can dig em up for ya

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

they may be classics, but the striping matches nothing on the uniforms, which is my case. see how the pants and helmet stripes match? yeah, there ya go, see what im getting at. i may be a nitpicky about it, but hey, you probably have personal prefernces too. just because something is classic does not mean i have to like it.

I like it...it's nice, simple, elegant, understated, classic-y etc. If I didn't know what the Bucks jersey's looked like, you might be able to convince me they've worn these all along.

One thing is it might be hard to see the buckeye on the red jersey sleeve. Maybe slap a white outline on there or something.

As for the whole traditionalism thing...I happen to think much of design is about challenging convention, especially challenging something as accepted as "classic" uniforms. See here.

I know the sleeve stripes don't match the other parts of the uniform, but that's because there's nothing else TO match with-the jersey is the only red (or white for away) part of the uni that is that color. If they had red socks with the same stripes would you accept it then? So what's the difference? Why does every little aspect of the uniform have to match perfectly? The Cleveland Browns' (white) pants striping doesn't match anything else on the uniform, but I'm sure you like them. Sometimes little differences make the uniform, like the Redskins' or Colts' helmet stripe, that don't match but wouldn't look good if they did. I mean picture the Steelers with one big thick yellow stripe on the sleeves of their jerseys. Blahhhh.

haha chaz, i actually did a browns concept and matched up the pants stripes to the sleeve and sock stripes. and ive made a steelers concept with a thick yellow sleeve stripe. thats interesting that you mentioned those two things. :P now that i think about it, in my humble opinion, northwestern striping is just plain ugly. more than not matching anything, i just dont like it. not on the sleeves, and not on the socks, and not in a tree, and not in a box. i dont like them anywhere... enough dr. seuss. bottom line haha. i see what you are saying, though, but i am more on united waffles, magus, and quantumfreaks, side of the design wheel, wanting to challenge what people accept, but i also like to keep things that look good very much how they are, only with minor changes, like ive done here. i suppose its just an opinion thing that will never be solved.

I like the idea of tweaking a classic...sometimes its needed. However, perhaps instead of using the buckeye, perhaps you could incorporate the 'O' standing alone instead. I could see that going on the shoulders instead of the leaf, as well as possibly adding it somewhere on the pants (either on the stripes or in front). Also, we all know the real OSU will reign in San Antonio.

ducks-large.jpg

Archived