Coventry City FC

jr79

I completely disagree, Saintsfan. I know that they depart from the traditional style of soccer crests, but I really think that the new wave (CCFC, Arsenal, etc) of the crests are much better suited for the marketplace. They're much more practical and effective than the previous itterations. They're cleaner visually, which will make a stronger impact in the long run, plus they're easier to recreate on a variety of mediums.

I just think its a pity that so many teams are willing to throw away often a hundred years of tradition for marketing purposes. Sort of like the Yankees picking a new logo. Ah well!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I certainly see what you're talking about, but I'd argue that Arsenal and CCFC didn't throw away history. They've definitely made a nod to it. Arsenal, with it's cannon and sheild, and CCFC with it's elephant.

At the end of the day, maybe I'm just unsentimental. I guess I just prefer aesthetics to tradition.

Hey

I live in Coventry, and personally I love the new logo, we are moving into a new 32,000 Arena, so I thought it was right for a change, eventhough our current logo holds so much historic things in it. But, I can't explain the outrage caused, in the city about this new logo, yet I think this link might show it:

LINK

And there is even more on the site.

The poll on that site says that 97% (4220 People) dislike the badge, so 3% (123 People) like it.

Todays local newspaper had 4 pages all of complaints.

signature.png

I have to admit, as an Arsenal fan, that the crest we used for fifty years was a mess.

I like the new one, aside from the wordmark, which I really hate.

When it was first announced, Arsenal fans were up in arms. It was unveiled before a match, and got roundly booed.

Now, a couple years later, most Arsenal fans are used to it, though most still don't like it.

I like the shape of the shield but this kind of raises a question in my head...........what makes a good shield or crest? I ask because you always see these family shields or crests where they just have a bunch of "stuff" that might resemble something but it just looks like they throw random crap in there. So what exactly makes it good or bad?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I think the three stripes in the logo are a reference to whatever the elephant was wearing in the previous two crests. Whatever it is (a carriage of some sort?), it looks like it had 3 columns on it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I hope that Liverpool will tidy up their crest and simplify it a little. Back in the 70s and 80s the Liverbird and maybe the initials LFC was all that would be on the shirt... then they added the shield, and the club name, and the Shankly Gates, and the flames of rememberance.... etc

So now we have this:

lfc_crest.PNG

Needs some simplification or soon the liverbird will be so small you can't see it!!

liverpool-1.png

The three blue stripes in the new badge look like the Adidas logo. Coincidence? Any plans of a kit relationship with Coventry and Adidas?

Coventry have often worn striped sky blue/dark blue shirts since the 60s so the stripes in the crest would be a reference to this more than anything I think.

liverpool-1.png

I'm glad someone else noticed the three columns. It keeps the elephant and the three collumns (both part of the original) and discards the other two animals. I think that is is truly a brilliant redesign and I can't understand why there is so much opposition.

It... just... looks... better.

"Jesus is for Losers" - Steve Taylor

According to Coventry's website, the team's already pulled a 180 and will NOT use the new crest.

Which is a shame, I thought it looked quite nice.

Yeah, total U-Turn, and it will cost the club, as it has already been used on some club literature, about the new Arena.

And, I was suprised we got onto the Sports Logo homepage.

signature.png

That's great - a clear victory for the fans! :D

Reminds me of the San Francisco 49ers' "one day helmet" logo.

Football crests frequently look somewhat random because every single element has a meaning behind it. It's much more like heraldry than a corporate logo.

In the case of Coventry City, the phoenix (on right) symbolizes the city rebuilding itself after the Blitz.

I know that the flames are especially significant on the Liverpool crest, and I think that the crest makes a perfect corporate logo, but I agree that it's waaaaaaay too busy to wear on a shirt. They should go back to just the Liverbird.

And as for Chelsea, Avenger, I think they're actually moving back to a more traditional style. They have a nice blend of modern clarity and historically meaningful symbolism.

That's great - a clear victory for the fans!  :D

Most fans have bad taste until you force something better down their throat. They would have eventually learned to accept it and like it.

When you consider that just about everything they have is blue, it makes me wonder why they are keeping the current crest.

I saw, I came, I left.

That's great - a clear victory for the fans!  :D

Most fans have bad taste until you force something better down their throat. They would have eventually learned to accept it and like it.

When you consider that just about everything they have is blue, it makes me wonder why they are keeping the current crest.

Wonder what?!?!

signature.png

Archived