Blackburn's a Salmon King

Shmee

Young Rangers goalie Danny Blackburn, who was set to replace Mike Richter bewteen the pipes before suffering a severe injury to his shoulder, is now wearing a new prototype glove.

The glove is a hybrid of sorts: It's a regulation senior sized blocker, but instead of a regular glove underneath, there is a junior sized trapper. Because of the nerve damage that Blackburn suffered in the injury, he now has extreme difficulty raising and turning his left arm at the same time. Basically, he can't catch up high anymore. He'll use the small trapper down low, and the blocker up top.

My cousin (a goalie who pays strong attention to any new innovations for goalies) told me that the NHL has already approved the glove for his use.

It's not that easy to make out, but here's a couple of photos of the new glove:

capt.vkax10102022035.echl_blackburn_vkax101.jpg

capt.vkax10302022045.echl_blackburn_vkax103.jpg

capt.vkax10202022035.echl_blackburn_vkax102.jpg

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Basically, he can't catch up high anymore. He'll use the small trapper down low, and the blocker up top.

So he's going to be giving up 50% more rebounds on that side now? It sounds like it will end his career if he can't raise his arm to catch and hold pucks. I don't see how he can be as effective as required at the NHL level. It will be interesting to see how this works out for him.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

For those of you interested, the future of the Rangers' goaltenders just got a little more colourful with the returnof Dan Blackburn to the ECHL.

He's wearing two blockers, red pants with the Salmon Kings, and he looks awesome.

blackburn.jpg

blackburnblock.jpg

blackburnpants.jpg

woot woot

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I am really curious how that Blocker-glove works in game situations... its good to see his shoulder condition isnt affecting his nhl future... hes a great goalie...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Apparently the only problem is more rebounds...and he can still move his arm quick enough to catch if the shot is from a long enough distance.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Archived