Baseball the 2nd most popular sport in USA?

Swiss

Is really baseball the second most popular sport in the USA?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah but if you only had 1 MLB game a week and that only MLB game that week was the only MLB game that year in that city, I think you'd get larger crowds.

If a MLB team gets just better attendence than the best NHL or NBA teams then they're considered to be doing poorly.

81 games, 40,000 fans per game, impressive.

Using the same idea, I could say that because NASCAR only visits certain tracks once a year, that fans have less of an opportunity to develop a sense of loyalty and familiarity to the stars they are paying to watch.

A baseball team, as you said, plays 81 home games. That's 80 more chances for a fan to become more interested in the athletes that represent their city. Auto racing is one guy, in one car, representing himself and his sponsors. He has no affiliation to any sort of city, province, state, etc. I think there's something to be said for 100,000 fans packing bleachers that fill half of a giant asphalt oval for hours on end to watch guys that mean aboslutely nothing to them drive make 800 left turns.

I'm not a fan of NASCAR at all, but I understand that countless other people (especially in the Southern United States) are enthralled by the sport.

Almost everyone who watches NASCAR, regularly, has a favorite driver or drivers. They also have someone they absolutely loathe.

No one goes to a NASCAR event just to watch a race. If you've ever been, you'd see everyone is emblazened with their driver gear. RV's and campers are all done up, people make a vacation out of a NASCAR race.

I would venture to guess the average NASCAR fan knows more about their favorite driver than the average baseball fan knows about their favorite player. Baseball fans know stats, NASCAR fans know more personal things about their drivers. If you think aout the fact that 30 baseball teams each have 25 players and NASCAR has around 50 drivers, it's easier for the telecasts to focus on the personal side of drivers.

At every event, fans have access to the garage area. At a baseball game the closest you get to a player is if they want to come over to the rail. Could you imagine being able to walk around the field while they took batting practice?

Shmee, eventually you will learn about NASCAR, cause I believe they are comeing to the Island.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Yeah but if you only had 1 MLB game a week and that only MLB game that week was the only MLB game that year in that city, I think you'd get larger crowds.

If a MLB team gets just better attendence than the best NHL or NBA teams then they're considered to be doing poorly.

81 games, 40,000 fans per game, impressive.

Using the same idea, I could say that because NASCAR only visits certain tracks once a year, that fans have less of an opportunity to develop a sense of loyalty and familiarity to the stars they are paying to watch.

A baseball team, as you said, plays 81 home games. That's 80 more chances for a fan to become more interested in the athletes that represent their city. Auto racing is one guy, in one car, representing himself and his sponsors. He has no affiliation to any sort of city, province, state, etc. I think there's something to be said for 100,000 fans packing bleachers that fill half of a giant asphalt oval for hours on end to watch guys that mean aboslutely nothing to them drive make 800 left turns.

I'm not a fan of NASCAR at all, but I understand that countless other people (especially in the Southern United States) are enthralled by the sport.

Almost everyone who watches NASCAR, regularly, has a favorite driver or drivers. They also have someone they absolutely loathe.

No one goes to a NASCAR event just to watch a race. If you've ever been, you'd see everyone is emblazened with their driver gear. RV's and campers are all done up, people make a vacation out of a NASCAR race.

I would venture to guess the average NASCAR fan knows more about their favorite driver than the average baseball fan knows about their favorite player. Baseball fans know stats, NASCAR fans know more personal things about their drivers. If you think aout the fact that 30 baseball teams each have 25 players and NASCAR has around 50 drivers, it's easier for the telecasts to focus on the personal side of drivers.

At every event, fans have access to the garage area. At a baseball game the closest you get to a player is if they want to come over to the rail. Could you imagine being able to walk around the field while they took batting practice?

Shmee, eventually you will learn about NASCAR, cause I believe they are comeing to the Island.

That's actually the point I was trying to make, in a roundabout sort of way. I didn't mean that fans have no connection to the drivers, so perhaps that came out the wrong way. What I meant to say was that the individual drivers do not represent a city or a group of people in the way that a baseball team does.

There are the Atlanta Braves and the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. There is no Houston Earnhardt, Jr. or Miami Rusty Wallace. The fact that NASCAR fans are so passionate about the individual drivers ( and yes, I'm familiar ^_^ ) speaks volumes to me about the immense popularity of the sport.

And you're close about NASCAR coming to Long Island. They've proposed a track on Staten Island, which would apparently host one event per season during one of the warmer months. I don't know about the fan base up here, but with a metro area as huge as ours is and the great diversity of New York, I'm sure enough people would show up to a race to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

I think NASCAR is bigger than a lot of people (especially those in the Northern US and Canada) give it credit for.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Almost everyone who watches NASCAR, regularly, has a favorite driver or drivers.  They also have someone they absolutely loathe.

All I know is most of the south hates Jeff Gordon. :cursing::D

I think Gordon suffered from what Tom Brady is going through now. He acheived too much, too soon in his career. I've noticed a lot of Brady bashing on other boards saying he is over rated or not as good as other QB's or his team is the reason he wins, not him.

Gordon difinitely had haters for winning at such a young age. Before him, most winners were older and far more southern. He also had to deal with the fact that Earnhardt said some disparaging things about him and inturn all Earnhardt fans cheered against him.

As he's become older and more like "family" to NASCAR fans the boos are dying out. The likes of Busch, Harvick, and Stewart are also taking some of the heat off him as well.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I think Gordon suffered from what Tom Brady is going through now. He acheived too much, too soon in his career. I've noticed a lot of Brady bashing on other boards saying he is over rated or not as good as other QB's or his team is the reason he wins, not him.

What do I say to all those Brady bashers?

Fluff you! How many Super Bowls has he won? Three. That's more than Elway, Marino, Steve Young, Unitis, Namath, Manning and fill in whatever hall of fame QB you want. Brady is not just good, I say he's better than all those guys. Brady knows how to get the job done.

Yes, his team is the reason he wins. What's so bad about that? Last I checked, football is a TEAM game. If people are angry about Brady accomplishing so much so soon, why hasn't anyone been bashing Tim Duncan? He's won two championships.

I saw, I came, I left.

but i think that baseball isnt as popular anymore because there are so many games.

Maybe you got the point of why baseball is the second most popular sport... because there are so many games and people may be a little tired of the extense schedule.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I think Gordon suffered from what Tom Brady is going through now.  He acheived too much, too soon in his career.  I've noticed a lot of Brady bashing on other boards saying he is over rated or not as good as other QB's or his team is the reason he wins, not him.

What do I say to all those Brady bashers?

Fluff you! How many Super Bowls has he won? Three. That's more than Elway, Marino, Steve Young, Unitis, Namath, Manning and fill in whatever hall of fame QB you want. Brady is not just good, I say he's better than all those guys. Brady knows how to get the job done.

Yes, his team is the reason he wins. What's so bad about that? Last I checked, football is a TEAM game. If people are angry about Brady accomplishing so much so soon, why hasn't anyone been bashing Tim Duncan? He's won two championships.

I think Carolina Joe got it right....Brady is great QB......lets give him a few more years before we compare him to Marinos... Elways etc....remember...Elways rings came at the end of his carreer......lets see how many more come Bradys way...the organization built the teams that these QBs play for. Same goes for Jeff Gordon....he hasnt won a points champioship in how many years now?....hes chasing the likes of Petty and Earnhardt sr...remember it is the team and the organization...Could Brady have the same success out of NewEngland?....they are the modle franchise in the NFL no doubt...Gordon...could he win out side the Dupont team?.....as far as Baseball being the #2 sport...I guess it depends how you look at it...merchandise....venue size ETC...I voted no.....

Basketball is my favorite sport as it's my best sport, but as for pro leagues: NFL is king, no doubt. I'll say NBA second, not because it's good, but because I think it's better than the MLB and the NHL. Baseball is ok to play, but id rather do manual labor than watch 9 innings of the Phillies vs. Pirates or watch the 72,000 matchup of the year between the Sawks and the Yankees. Hockey was never my favorite, nobody in my family liked it so I never really got into it.

Howard1.jpg

Almost everyone who watches NASCAR, regularly, has a favorite driver or drivers.  They also have someone they absolutely loathe.

All I know is most of the south hates Jeff Gordon. :cursing::D

Gordon difinitely had haters for winning at such a young age. Before him, most winners were older and far more southern. He also had to deal with the fact that Earnhardt said some disparaging things about him and inturn all Earnhardt fans cheered against him.

As he's become older and more like "family" to NASCAR fans the boos are dying out. The likes of Busch, Harvick, and Stewart are also taking some of the heat off him as well.

You didn't watch the spring 'Dega race, did you?

Anyway, there are some drivers that are connected with states and cities.

Awesome Bill From Dawsonville.

Texas Terry Labonte

The Alabama Gang

etc.

But, the fact that you can root for anyone (Nadeau Fan Right here) is why more people like it.

I've seen Earnhardt fans root for Gordon (All three) and I've seen Harvick fans root for Kenseth...

I have never seen a White Sox fan root for the Cubs (or vice versa) or a Yankees fan root for the Mets. (ditto)

So, the part about not being connected to a certain group is good and bad.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Archived