CBC loses 2010 and 2012 Olympics

OMMF

yeah, but putting taxpayer dollars into this venture is not worth it. The Bell/Rogers alliance baffles me. They both provide TV, internet and wireless serivce, and they own sports networks. You know what's interesting, Rogers Sportsnet and TSN share the same studio.

http://www.canada.com/components/printstor...ee-fce930c09655

I saw, I came, I left.

yeah, but putting taxpayer dollars into this venture is not worth it. The Bell/Rogers alliance baffles me. They both provide TV, internet and wireless serivce, and they own sports networks. You know what's interesting, Rogers Sportsnet and TSN share the same studio.

They are also in big-time competition with each other almost everywhere!

Rogers Digital Cable vs. Bell Satellite

Rogers Wireless vs. Bell Mobility

Rogers Hi-Speed vs. Bell Sympatico

Rogers Sportsnet vs. TSN (Bell owned) -- plus many other channels, radio stations, and magazines are owned by one or the other.

Basically the only place they don't compete is Bell's home phone service and Rogers video rental stores.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Rogers Sportsnet vs. TSN (Bell owned) -- plus many other channels, radio stations, and magazines are owned by one or the other.

Basically the only place they don't compete is Bell's home phone service and Rogers video rental stores.

Also, to my knowledge, Bell does not own radio stations and Rogers does not own any newspapers (although they do own magazines). :)

I saw, I came, I left.

Also, to my knowledge, Bell does not own radio stations and Rogers does not own any newspapers (although they do own magazines). :)

Yeah Rogers owns MacLean as well as a few others.

What papers does Bell own?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

So basically what's happening is that the best channel I've ever seen in the WHOLE WORLD for sports (The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), is no longer going to show the 2010 and 2012 Olympics?! Well sir, I say this sucks ass. I've always hated watching olympics on the American networks. Surprisingly, the BBC doesn't seem to do any good coverage, nor does Channel 4, ITV, or any other European networks. DWTV is good for highlights, but that's it! CBC was always the best in my opinion, and I am definitely not happy with this new CTV deal.

Sucks big time. :cursing:

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

If CTV gives us taped coverage, I will do terrible, nasty things to their buildings and offices. They have a hell of a act to follow, I've always loved the job that the CBC has done covering the Olympic games. Lord help them if they blow it

Well I'm still upset from many years ago (okay I am over it-but for illustration's point) from when CTV cut back sports programming dramatically.

Certainly with the rise of cable they have cable outlest for sports--but I preferred their CFL coverage to CBC's (read-No DOn Wittman)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Well I'm still upset from many years ago (okay I am over it-but for illustration's point) from when CTV cut back sports programming dramatically.

Certainly with the rise of cable they have cable outlest for sports--but I preferred their CFL coverage to CBC's (read-No DOn Wittman)

But Stamp, you gotta admit, the CFN was second to none when they were in existence. Do you prefer John "JESUS, I'm drunk" Wells to Dandy Don?

Back to the real topic at hand, though, perhaps this means that some of the money that the CBC would have paid for Olympic coverage can now go to amateur sport in Canada, so we actually have a reason to watch the games.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This sucks. I always watched the CBC coverage instead of the NBC coverage. Especailly in the winter games. The CBC showed events, NBC showed human interest sob stories to get you to care about athletes who would return to working at Home Depot in 3 weeks. Nothing against them, but I'd rather see them compete than hear their life story. :flagcanada:

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

This sucks. I always watched the CBC coverage instead of the NBC coverage. Especailly in the winter games. The CBC showed events, NBC showed human interest sob stories to get you to care about athletes who would return to working at Home Depot in 3 weeks. Nothing against them, but I'd rather see them compete than hear their life story. 

True dat. CBC means live sports coverage 80% of the time on air and the rest being highlights and commentary.

Now those figures aren't official or anything, but CBC is just really good in that respect. L*

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

The TSN/Rogers Sportsnet partnership isn't that far-fetched, considering CTV used to own Sportsnet before buying TSN. The way the networks explained it, though, it sounds like it's all gravy ... more channels equals more specialty coverage. CBC even sold some of their rights to TSN the past couple of Games. It all sounds like a win-win for sports fans to me.

So basically what's happening is that the best channel I've ever seen in the WHOLE WORLD for sports (The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), is no longer going to show the 2010 and 2012 Olympics?! Well sir, I say this sucks ass. I've always hated watching olympics on the American networks. Surprisingly, the BBC doesn't seem to do any good coverage, nor does Channel 4, ITV, or any other European networks. DWTV is good for highlights, but that's it! CBC was always the best in my opinion, and I am definitely not happy with this new CTV deal.

Sucks big time. :cursing:

Actually the BBC's coverage of the Olympics is excellent. as is most of there sports overage. Truie it doesn't have the level of events it did when I was a kid, but what it presents it presents well. And Channel 4s cricket coverage has been excellent. Pity its lost the rights after 2005.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived