Once again

Stampman

Once you get that custom Madden team bug--it's hard to shake.

I actually created some other teams since I finished the last set, but haven't posted them yet--but I've decided to go ahead with this one.

This latest 32 team league has teams based on pop culture-although I use the term loosely.

Some unis will not be pleeasant--but there will be a reason for each one being the way it is...

Still comments are welcome and maybe you have suggestions to make them better--as some did in the US based CFL team thread...

So First up--a team based on one of my favorite superheroes-

The Blue Beetle!

Info on the Blue Beetle

The primary home is based on his actual costume, and the primary road is a variation oon this with a white jersey-

The alts are the same idea-but the unis are based on the original Blue Beetle

(Blue Beetle I)

So I've added the red for that reason...

The helmet logo is a Beetle from the Charlton comics run of the late 60's.

The pants stripes are single stripes of the contrasting blue.

BEETLE.png

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next team is a bit odder looking-based on one of my favorite cartoons--as a kid and an adult-

Space Ghost

I've neever seent he Coast to Coast thing they did with him, so I know him from the real thing-

There was a great Space Ghost site I could direct you too--but it seems to have vanished (odd for a ghost)

For now check this out

or

this

This time it's actually the road uni which is meant to mirror the character's costume, and I chose red for the home jersey as it worked the best for me.

The oddly coloured alts look that way as tribute to 2 costumes worn by Space Ghost's helpers Jan, Jayce, and Blip.

see this for what I based the alts on

So anyway here are the unis-

Home, road, home alt and road alt...

spaceghost.png

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

BEETLE.png

I'm also a big Blue Beetle fan. Somehow, the first two unis say "Blue Beetle" to me. The second two say "generic football team" to me. There's just something distinctly Blue Beetleish about the two on the left.

Any chance you'll do a Magnum PI team? The theme could be red with white hibiscus.

20082614447.png

Yeah they're all on PC.

As for the Beetle alts--they're based on the original beetle who had red in his scheme...

But I prefer the primaries...

I haven't included Magnum PI in the 32, but if I keep at it I may do every superhero and TV show eventually...

Thanks for the comments...

The Next team has had a sneak preview in the Band brands thread.

The one I did in a regular template was a combination of the primary & alt.

The team is named after the Rutles.

The Rutles are the best Beatles spoof ever, and one of the best band parodies ever as well.

They were created by Eric Idle of Monty Python for a post Python show.

More details -

This one has the logo I used for the helmets

More info

Rutland Weekend Television where they started

The colours came from the drums on the first link-no reason I couldn't use a different colour though, but I liked them.

No superhero costume to emulate here--so the unis are just what I fooled around with and liked-the striped socks just seemed best for them as well-comments welcome...

Home, road, home alt, road alt

rutles.png

I may be busy this week, I may not be--so I'm posting the next team now, just in case I am busy-

Next up Bizarro (the comic strip/single panel)

http://www.bizarro.com/

I am usually cracked up by his odd humour, so I used it for a team.

In his comics Dan Piraro often includes a few different symbols that have nothing to do with the joke (usually)-

They're here

I tried all of them on helmets, but ended up using the pie as it looked the best.

The colours came from the website, and the unis were just from fooling around with the colours--I realize they blend/blur together, and for a real team I would use a contrasting colour--but for the purposes of this league I liked them this way...

Home, road, home alt, road alt...

c17bcff0.png

comments welcome

Next team, the Hair Bear Bunch--

Now these are weird looking unis--based on a 70's cartoon, thta in some ways was funny because it was corny and bad...

But it was also cool as a kid...

Hair Bear

And again

I based the home unis on Hair Bear's look-

Green scarf, orange vest...

The alts a re based on Square Bear--the big one--with the purple hat with flowers...

They ain't pretty, but they fit the characters & show--and that's something I wanted in this league--some strange looking unis--they're kind of fun to use in the game that way...

hairbear.png

I tried doing the helmets like Hair Bear's hair--but it just didn't work right...

Although you normally won't see it, I did give each player on the team an afro to approximate Hair Bear--

here's their QB-

hairbearQB.png

Enjoy!

Next a team for one of the all time best comic strips ever--Bloom County.

Their creator's web site

The helmets feature Opus, although I'm at a complete loss as to the colour scheme.

I mean I don't remember why I went with this scheme...

I had considered using Opus's colours--but there were other teams with similar ones--the orange may be from Bill the Cat though.

So here they are--one of the more "normal" primaries-but that's okay too for this league...

bcounty.png

comments welcome--thanks...

7 days have gone by--that must mean a new team is due.

This time another of the all time best newspaper comics--The Farside.

Not much here--but the pictures may jog your memory if you're not sure which one this is...

Gary arson--the creator of the Far Side influenced many who came after him, and imitators are not in short supply.

For the team colours I went with one of Gary Larson's common "characters"--cows.

So I used Black, white and an udder colour (okay bad pun--couldn't resist)

Yes the third colour is from the cow udders.

The designs were just what I thought looked best with the colours--and the udder coloured alts were just for fun. I don't know about that colour for a "serious" team--but for this league--I like them--and they set off the black & white-

farside.png

comments, questions, and clean jokes are welcome...

Thanks...

Next up the Muppets--I love the Muppets--sure they can be sickeningly sweet & sappy--but then the next second they're subversive--and they have a good sens of humour.

In case you have no idea who the Muppets are--do a search for Muppets-

But here's one site

And this is the official site

I based the colours on the logo I used--green for Kermit & the blues were in the logo.

I like these primaries, and for the alts I just went uni-colour for fun...

Home, ROad, home alt, road alt-

cc27a91d.png

Comments welcome, thanks...

A repeat of sorts as the next team is the Star Trek team--which had been seen earlier, but I repeat it for the sake of completeness (?)

These are based on the Original Star Trek series-the best one--with Kirk, SPock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Chekov & Sulu.

Lots of Trek sites on the net--this is an original series one...

This one includes a sometimes funny cartoon

Get a life :D

This one's funny

The Home unis are based on the blue worn by Spock & Bones, the roads on the yellow Kirk wore, the home alts on the expendable red shirts (unless your nickname is "Scotty"), and the raod alts on Kirk's green alternate tunic.

Last time someone suggested black shoulder stripes, so they'd look more like the actual unis--but the originals didn't have the shoulder stripes, and that's what these are based on (or did I say that?)

So here they are-Home, road, home alt, road alt-

f9af5b57.png

Comments welcome!

I'm a doctor, not a fashion designer (well, actually I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV), but ...

I hate to say this, given how I feel about the all-black look, but it seems more appropriate to wear black shoes and even black socks, given that black boots were part of the uniform.

I don't think the lime green works with the blue. I'd replace with the gold, like the sacrifice-me-red uniforms.

And if you really want to get picky, the green uniform should have a V-neck, while the other uniforms should be crew-necks.

Packers-2.png

I'm a doctor, not a fashion designer (well, actually I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV), but ...

I hate to say this, given how I feel about the all-black look, but it seems more appropriate to wear black shoes and even black socks, given that black boots were part of the uniform.

I don't think the lime green works with the blue. I'd replace with the gold, like the sacrifice-me-red uniforms.

And if you really want to get picky, the green uniform should have a V-neck, while the other uniforms should be crew-necks.

Thanks for the comments...

You did make some suggestions that I would like to do--but these were made for Madden--and so I can not change the shoe colour --or the sock colour other than the striping--nor can I do v-necks or crew collars--and unfortunately in Madden 2004 you can't change the collar colour--my 2002 versions had black collars--as the series did.

If I ever do these on a regular template I will definitely keep those suggestions in mind.

As for the lime green--well it's the exact same yellow used on the red jerseys, believe it or not--but with the blue around it, it looks less yellow--on my monitor they don't look lime green--but they do look different... (and saving in Paint--even as a png can change that a bit too...)

Up soon--Dr. Seuss!

Well as promised--Dr Seuss...

I loved Dr Seuss books a kid--so imaginative & inventive--he has spawned thousands af imitators--but none quite capture his style & spirit.

Seussville

So I had a different type of fun with these--I was a more whimsical, and in the semi-anarchic spirit of Seuss I didn't use a colour scheme, and just used a whole bunch of colours--for fun...

(Remember this isn't for real--would I clothe a real football team this way? Probably not-but a Madden team in a league like this? You bet!)

Still comments are welcomed!

Home, road, home alt, road alt-

4cf5097d.png

Archived