WHA Announces...

Brian in Boston

... that Phil Esposito has signed on as the league's Chief Executive Officer.

Further, the new World Hockey Association has announced that planning is under way for a six to eight-team winner-take-all tournament that would be contested in late May or early June. Games would be played in two cities: Toronto and either New York or Las Vegas. The purpose of the tournament would be to establish the new WHA brand in the North American marketplace.

Then, in October of 2005, the WHA would launch its regular season. Markets being eyed at the present time include Toronto, Hamilton, Quebec City, Vancouver, Las Vegas, Omaha, Phoenix, Seattle and Portland (OR).

Reportedly, the WHA will embrace such rules as removing the red line, no-touch icing, smaller goaltender equipment, penalty shots for specific major penalties and shootouts to settle overtime ties.

They say this now, but with all the reneged deals, withdrawn franchises and other crap the new WHA has pulled over the last year or so, forgive me if I'm a little skeptical... <_<

I wouldn't hold my breath either. However, it should be noted that the gentlemen who initially "launched" the new WHA are no longer involved with the league. They have sold out to a new financial backer. Additionally, more players may be willing to align themselves with this venture now that an entire NHL season has been cancelled. I know that Brett Hull, Jeremy Roenick, Mike Modano and Chris Chelios have all expressed interest in signing on with the league.

We'll see what happens.

I know that Brett Hull, Jeremy Roenick, Mike Modano and Chris Chelios have all expressed interest in signing on with the league.

Typical Americans ;);)

Well Brett was technically born in Canada. :P

I'll be dead in my grave long before I'll ever consider Belleville a part of Canada

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

I know that Brett Hull, Jeremy Roenick, Mike Modano and Chris Chelios have all expressed interest in signing on with the league.

Typical Americans ;);)

Well Brett was technically born in Canada. :P

So was Greg Rusedski...

...and if they ever put them up for treason and I'm in the jury, they'll be sunk.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived