R.I.P. Reggie Roby

rmackman

From CNNsi.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Punter Reggie Roby, a 16-year NFL veteran and three-time Pro Bowler, died Tuesday morning after being found unconscious at home by his wife. He was 43.

Melissa Roby found her husband with no pulse Tuesday morning at their home. Paramedics tried to resuscitate him at home and in the ambulance, but he was pronounced dead in the emergency room at St. Thomas Hospital at 8:35 a.m. CST, according to a statement released by the family.

The cause of death is unknown, the statement said.

A graduate of Iowa, Roby was a sixth-round pick in 1983 by the Miami Dolphins where he played between 1983 and 1992. He also played for the Washington Redskins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Houston/Tennessee Oilers and San Francisco 49ers where he wrapped up his career with a final season in 1999.

He led the AFC in 1991 with an average punt of 45.7 yards, and he still holds the Pro Bowl record with 10 punts in the 1985 game.

Roby, who had six children, had been the marketing and development director for Backfield in Motion, a nonprofit group mixing athletics and academics to help boys in the inner city.

"Reggie was just a kid at heart," said Michael Brown, Backfield in Motion's chief executive officer. "Reggie was the ultimate package as far as I was concerned. In this type of work that we are in, there is no question that it was his calling."

pressrelease_3738.jpgp1_roby.jpgg_roby_vi.jpg

From MiamiDolphins.com

Former Dolphins Punter Reggie Roby Dies Of Unknown Causes

February 22, 2005

The family of Reggie Roby has announced that the former NFL punter died earlier today of unknown causes.

Roby, 43, was found by his wife, Melissa, this morning in their Nashville home unconscious and without a pulse. After CPR measures were administered at his home, in the ambulance and in the Emergency Department, he was pronounced dead at Saint Thomas Emergency Department at 8:35 a.m.

Reggie Roby was Marketing & Development Director for Backfield in Motion, a non-profit organization that combines athletics and academics to inspire inner-city boys to reach their maximum potential and become significant contributors to society.

Roby, a University of Iowa graduate, spent 16 years playing in the NFL, including ten years with the Miami Dolphins and stints with the Washington Redskins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Houston Oilers, Tennessee Titans and San Francisco 49ers before retiring in 2002.

During his football career, Reggie spent much of his free time speaking to kids about the importance of education and character. When he learned about Backfield in Motion?s innovative programs, he immediately signed on, citing the ability to make a difference.

Michael Brown, Chief Executive Officer, Backfield in Motion, said this morning, "Reggie was a kind loving, sweet person with a huge heart. Underneath that strength of a professional athlete, Reggie was just a kid at heart. Reggie was the ultimate package as far as I was concerned. In this type of work that we are in, there is no question that it was his calling. He had such appeal with the kids."

Roby was the father of six children.

Funeral arrangements have not been released.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Wasn't he from Nigeria or some other African nation? I thought he had developed some charity to help out back home, like Manute Bol.

He went to college at Iowa, and I do not believe he was from any African nation. I had actually spoken to the guy once and he didn't have any kind of accent, but I guess I'll have to look that up.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Damn,i really hated hearing about that one,he was one of mine favorite players back in the day because he is was black and a punter,which is uniqe all in its self,what's even more amazing,that he was living in Nashville,he will be truly missed.

Wasn't he from Nigeria or some other African nation? I thought he had developed some charity to help out back home, like Manute Bol.

Perhaps you are thinking of former Bucs kicker Donald Igwebuike.

And thanks to everyone for not making any "kicking the bucket" remarks. That shows class and restraint on everyone's part.

Something I apparently lack. I am ashamed.

Deeply ashamed.

Wow this is shocking, he was only 43.

He is trully one of the best punters ever it seemed he could boom that ball further then anyone as someone who does not usually notice punters unless they screw up I remebr feeling Roby would always get the Dolphins good field position, as he punted while wearing a watch. I hope the Dolphins do something to honor him next year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Perhaps you are thinking of former Bucs kicker Donald Igwebuike.

And thanks to everyone for not making any "kicking the bucket" remarks. That shows class and restraint on everyone's part.

Something I apparently lack. I am ashamed.

Deeply ashamed.

Yeah, I guess it was Igwebuike.

And my comment was going to be about how Roby "kicked off", but you just spoiled it.

Thanks yh.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived