Similar NFL Typefaces

TruColor

We've all talked about the fact that a lot of the new NFL identities seem to have similar typefaces...well, thanks to Friend of the Board Todd Radom, the mystery has been solved. Todd emailed me a couple of days ago with the culprit responsible for these...these being the new Cardinals, Falcons, Bengals, Texans and Seahawks.

Verlander Design

A while back, I put these similar fonts together - but, I also included the Broncos - thinking that they were similar as well. I don't believe Verlander had anything to do with the Broncos.

2005_NFL_Logotypes.gif

I should also mention that I think this studio does really outstanding work; I just wonder why the typefaces are so much alike.

and if you check out the site the Desperados and the Cologne Centurians get the same treatment... man... im usually not one to knock peoples work but it just seems lazy...lol

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

When the Cardinals package came out, didn't we have a thread about how different all those teams wordmarks looked? Let me find it.

edit: Nevermind. It was just BiB who failed to see the similarity.

doesn't the league actually own the marks? and the teams "rent" them as part

of their ownership agreement. I thought that's how it worked. My experience has shown

that Properties has more of a final word on things.

I think the NFL is going for more of brand continuity with using the same

designers and type treatments as they update teams. I don't know if this

will one day, long down the road, lead to all teams, but ya never know.

Let's not forget that the NFL guides the design, so they are looking for more uniform wordmarks. One thing I wonder is who has more power, NFL Properties, or the individual team's management, in deciding identity issues.

NFL properties. teams are franchises.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

It was just BiB who failed to see the similarity.

I stand by my original assessment. Aside from the liberal use of serifs, I just don't see how these fonts are all that similar.

Sure, when quickly glanced at the fonts might seem similar. They might seem similar when you reference them from memory in the mind's eye. However, place them side-by-side and I see clear differences between all of these fonts.

For instance, I happen to look at these fonts from the point of view of a Seattle Seahawks fan. Frankly speaking, the fonts used by the Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals and Denver Broncos look nothing like the Seahawks' font. NOTHING. Three down, two to go.

The Houston Texans' font seems similar to that of the Seahawks at a glance, yet when the shared letters in the two teams' names (A, E, H, S, T) are studied, there are clear differences evident. One more down.

The Arizona Cardinals' font comes closest to the Seahawks' font, however there are still differences.

c'mon you gotta admit they are very similiar. the fact they all are pretty much

small city name, big team name doesn't help visually seperate them. The "A" in

the cardinals and seahwks is identical 'cept for the extended x-height and weight.

All Broncos work was done in-house at Nike by nike designers. The only way a

firm can claim them is if the firm is owned by a former Nike designers. Can you

tell me what firms you're refering to?

The "A" in the cardinals and seahwks is identical 'cept for the extended x-height and weight.

Therefore, by definition, not "identical".

As I said, the Cardinals' font comes closest to approximating that of the Seahawks. However, I can clearly see and register the differences.

As for the other fonts, I honestly don't believe that they resemble each other in the least. The Falcons' font is the only one that is primarily square, for God's sake! The Bengals' font is completely different in feel from any of the others posted. The Broncos' font was created by a completely different firm, hence the fact that its weight is so radically different than the others.

okay Identical ws bad choice of words, touche.

I think we can all agree they're not "identical" they're

all not exactly the same. I can see the nucances that

differ them also, but I can also acknowledge there's a lot

that makes them similiar too. You can tell they all came from

the same hand, they have the same style.

All Broncos work was done in-house at Nike by nike designers. The only way a

firm can claim them is if the firm is owned by a former Nike designers. Can you

tell me what firms you're refering to?

I don't know off the top of my head and I could me mistaken. It just seems like I have seen it on more than one designer's portfolio.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

let me know if you see them or remember. It's very possible an individual designer

has it on their site. Many people worked on concepts and in tweaking the final logo.

I would know if there legit, I don't want someone taking credit

for something they didn't do.

I worked on the project for a while but I would never include the logo

in my book, only sketches I may have done or just mention that I was

part of a team that created it.

In no way are these "identical" in the literal sense. By stylistically, thematically, it's clear they were all (minus the Broncos, of course) done by the same person and share enough similarities to warrant this thread.

Archived