Full names on NFL jerseys

FiddySicks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then there were the late '70s Houston Oilers, who had a running back named Tim Wilson and a defensive back named J.C. Wilson. Tim Wilson's jersey said "T. Wilson," but J.C. Wilson's said not "J. Wilson," but "J.C. Wilson." Seems inconsistent to me.

Packers-2.png

As strict as the NFL is about uni's, this must be a league rule. I saw the Saints and Packers at Lambeau last year and they had another A. Brooks on the roster, therefore...

_G3M2593-web-72-6.jpg

Also went on a Georgia Dome tour recently which included the Falcons' locker room. Posted therein was this "subtle" reminder about uniform regs:

IMG_4319.sized.jpg

(Edited to add photo of NFL poster instead of a link as the link wasn't working.)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

As strict as the NFL is about uni's, this must be a league rule. I saw the Saints and Packers at Lambeau last year and they had another A. Brooks on the roster, therefore...

_G3M2593-web-72-6.jpg

Also went on a Georgia Dome tour recently which included the Falcons' locker room. Posted therein was this "subtle" reminder about uniform regs:

NFL Equipment Rules Poster - Large

Nice contribution. That sign is pretty cool to see.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Of course, you're assuming the only way to see them is in person. If Warren Sapp complains about not being allowed to take his helmet off (thus limiting his marketing options for lack of exposure), he and players like him want their name as advertising. They need to distinguish themselves from others on the team, including not sharing the same last name on the back of their jersey.

I don't think players have any say in what name or names go on the back. Warren Sapp can't put "WARREN SAPP" on the back of his jersey unless the Raiders signed Wayne Sapp, where putting "W. SAPP" would not clarify anything.

Entire names are ridiculous all the same.

As for first and middle initials, the last time the Eagles had someone in that situation, WR Chris T. Jones was labeled "C. JONES" on his jersey; given how he preferred to be called, I'd think he'd have wanted "C. T. JONES", except that the "T" would be superfluous if the "C" was enough to distinguish him from another Jones.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

While still on the hockey theme...

In 1988 when Don Sweeney was called up to the Bruins, Bob Sweeney was already on the team. Bob wore "Sweeney" and Don wore "D. Sweeney". The next year, they both wore their first initials. When Bob was released, Don wore "Sweeney".

Tim Sweeney joined the Bruins later on and he wore "T. Sweeney" but Don wore "Sweeney".

There will be a test on this later... :D

patriotssignature.png

Putting names on jerseys is directed at the casual fan who doesn't know a player just by their number. The NFL was the first to require names on all jerseys for television purposes. Only the people at home can read the names and they're not likely to have a program handy to translate the numbers. You may hate names on jerseys, but the teams do it to increase accessibility to the casual fan. Does anybody know if Jack and Jim Youngblood of the Los Angeles Rams were the first full names on NFL jerseys?

If that sign is true about the violations...I think so many players violate at least one or two of those every single game. And Deion Sanders is just one giant violation!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Hockey again: In the late '70s, the New York Rangers had brothers Dave Maloney and Don Maloney. And that was what their uniforms said. And yet their names didn't take up as much space as the name of goaltender John Vanbiesbrouck ...

Packers-2.png

Archived