NBDL fold two

Dilbert

The NBDL has folded the Huntsville Flight and the only back to back champs of the NBDL the Ashville Altitude due to poor attendance. The NBDL is looking at a 15 team localy owned teams for the future. Right now there are plans of operating 8 teams next season with Albuqurque, Arkansas,Tulsa, Fort Worth, Austin, and Florida all already locally owned teams. Columbus, Roanoke, or Fayetteville will fold before next season. From what Ive heard Roanoke will probably be it. They have had very poor attendance.

Signature intentionally left blank

poor attendance for Roanoke is an understatement. I will keep tabs with the local news on this but I don't see any reason why Roanoke will stay in the league either. The entire league as a whole has horrible attendance which was nowhere close to the original agreement signed 4 years ago. If memory serves me right the league promised 4500 per night or better for 3 years or the team could be folded or relocated. That didn't work because the most any one team has averaged is about 2500.

Roanoke dosen't support anything sports related anymore, Salem on the other hand does. Salem hosts all the major division 3 championships and has done so for well over a decade. All their facilites are in the same complex and are well maintained even the 40 year old civic center. Roanoke as you know got the old Port Huron franchise in the UHL and after the newness wears off they will be left out to dry as well, crappy ass owners or not. The Salem Avalanche baseball team and all Virginia Tech athletic teams dominate the sports market here. Go to a Dazzle game or a hockey game the night of a tech football or basketball game, the announced attendence may be a couple thousand but there are no more than 500 people max. Roanoke will act like they give a damn for a while if the Dazzle fold but like the AFL 2 franchise they will soon be forgotten.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Too bad I think the NBDL is a good concept I hope it starts to succeed.

your right Tank it is, ticket prices are more affoardable than most people think. I think ticket prices ranged from 5 to 15 bucks this year which compared to the hockey debacle last month is pretty cheap.

I went to couple games this year and the game itself is fine, all the other extra unecessary crap ruined it for me. I didn't mind a childrens play area on the far end of the civic center, i didn't mind the cheerleaders having people come on the court and cheer with them, I did have a problem with rap and rock music blaring over the PA system during game play. I am trying to enjoy the game listening to the coaches call plays because the place is empty and highway to hell comes out of nowhere during a fast break. I wish the league well but I think it is on weakened legs and does not have much left in the tank.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

The NBA won't support NBDL teams with low attendance but they still pump millions of dollars into the WNBA?! :mad::mad:

Not only that they force the city to make adjustments to the civic center for the team. The city spent 5 million dollars to build this funky looking office for the Dazzle and attempted to improve the civic center. If you have never had the pleasure of going don't waste your gas. The arena was built in 1970 minus ADA changes and a crappy ass scoreboard everything else is the same. The place is a dump and is in a bad part of town. I think the NBA should have kicked in some money to help rennovate the civic center to attract more fans.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Actually, it was announced today that the Roanoke Dazzle are a "go" for the NBDL's 2005-06 season.

Meanwhile, the Asheville Altitude and Columbus Riverdragons franchises have been sold to Southwest Basketball, LLC. The teams will be relocated to Tulsa, Oklahoma and Austin, Texas, respectively.

The fate of the Huntsville Flight has yet to be determined. While the franchise will definitely not operate in Huntsville next season, the league has yet to make a decision as to whether the team will relocate or simply fold.

So, as of now, the NBDL's 2005-2006 confirmed line-up is:

Albuquerque, NM

Arkansas RimRockers (Little Rock, AR)

Austin, TX

Fayetteville Patriots

Florida Flames (Fort Myers, FL)

Fort Worth, TX

Roanoke Dazzle

Tulsa, OK

So, when excatly is this league going to be healthy enough to support 15 teams like Stern says he wants? Probably just another empty threat, like his BS age limit.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

So, when excatly is this league going to be healthy enough to support 15 teams like Stern says he wants? Probably just another empty threat, like his BS age limit.

Well, the two (NBDL and Age Limit) are supposed to go hand in hand, with players too young for the NBA sent to the NBDL.

I'm sure they're banking on larger attendance by putting franchises in larger, yet still minor league markets.

I don't know much about Asheville or Columbus, S.C., but I'm guessing they're smaller markets than Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Albuquerque and Austin.

Asheville, NC has a city population of 68,889.

Columbus, GA - which is where the NBDL franchise was located - has a population of 185,781. This figure represents the population of Columbus and all of the unincorporated areas of Muscogee County, Georgia, with which the City of Columbus is part of a consolidated city/county structure.

Little Rock, AR has a city population of 183,133.

Tulsa, OK - which is the community to which the Ashevile Altitude franchise is being relocated - has a city population of 387,807.

Albuquerque, NM has a city population of 448,607.

Austin, TX has a city population of 656,562.

So, yes... the NBDL is - by and large - targeting bigger municipalities to play host to future franchises.

Archived