My Tiger-Cats third uni suggestion

Pixelboy

OK, another rookie lamb led to slaughter... C&C welcome.

The Ticats haven't yet created a third jersey using the new look (neither have the Argos) as the majority of CFL teams have done, although they weren't on display at the presser on tuesday. Public outcry among Hamilton fans is for the alternates to be gold, so here is my take. I've tried to be very faithful to the design principles of their other two new sets.

12645860_71d3d3efff_o.jpg

Here are my own design choices in this submission, and my reasoning behind them:

I substituted the tiger head logo for the arms instead of the leaping tiger as seen on the home and roads (I thought the secondary should appear somewhere, so the third jerseys seemed appropriate), and since silver was added to the official logo palette, I made the decision to go with silver for the shoulder piping; it's more subtle on gold than black would have been. I also added a touch of silver below by using silver tape for the stockings. These gold pants could be used with the black tops as well, I suppose- that is a major topic with traditionalists.

I made a conscious decision to reject the contrasting black shoulder patches that the new white road unis have. My reason was two-fold: (1) because the new road whites already use the black shoulders in tribute to the 60s-80s style, so that is already accomplished elsewhere, and (2) because the Tiger-Cats wore gold jerseys as their road uniforms in the 50s, and I wanted my alternates to be in recognition of that era as well. They hadn't adopted that feature as yet:

12572201_1d2034480a_m.jpg

Notice that in the 50s, Hamilton wore gold over gold- so monochrome uniforms are very much in keeping with Ticat traditions, despite what some diehards say. I say give the new monochrome looks a chance - they're unique, and the team can always cave in and add gold pants later. People have to remember that a consistent colour stripe from shoulder to knee is intrinsically better design sense and highlights body flow, and contrasting jerseys and pants stripes have often resulted only because designers and teams didn't think things through. To me it shows inattentiveness to details. At the very least, dogmatic and "safe" design.

I chose to use black numbers instead of white for two reasons: again, a nod to tradition (see the photo above) and the knowledge that third jerseys would likely be worn on special occasions, like Labour Day, which are far more likely to be day games. White numbers on gold in the glare of the sun wouldn't provide adequate contrast for identification.

Yeesh. A lot of justification! :wacko: Thanks to eriqjaffe for the font. I also thank nick1733 for the template if he's responsible for it - I've seen posts that indicate it is an amalgam from several sources, so if I miscredited it, apologies.

Fire away. I am so unworthy...

That's some nice work right there. I do think it's an awful lot of yellow, and I'd maybe like to see the jersey offset with black pants, but that's just a personal preference. If the Ticats were wearing these on TV, I wouldn't turn the channel, that's for sure. :D

The Ticats haven't yet created a third jersey using the new look (neither have the Argos) as the majority of CFL teams have done, although they weren't on display at the presser on tuesday. Public outcry among Hamilton fans is for the alternates to be gold, so here is my take. I've tried to be very faithful to the design principles of their other two new sets.

sharp :notworthy:

Here are my own design choices in this submission, and my reasoning behind them:

I substituted the tiger head logo for the arms instead of the leaping tiger as seen on the home and roads (I thought the secondary should appear somewhere, so the third jerseys seemed appropriate), and since silver was added to the official logo palette, I made the decision to go with silver for the shoulder piping; it's more subtle on gold than black would have been. I also added a touch of silver below by using silver tape for the stockings. These gold pants could be used with the black tops as well, I suppose- that is a major topic with traditionalists.

I made a conscious decision to reject the contrasting black shoulder patches that the new white road unis have. My reason was two-fold: (1) because the new road whites already use the black shoulders in tribute to the 60s-80s style, so that is already accomplished elsewhere, and (2) because the Tiger-Cats wore gold jerseys as their road uniforms in the 50s, and I wanted my alternates to be in recognition of that era as well. They hadn't adopted that feature as yet:

12572201_1d2034480a_m.jpg

Notice that in the 50s, Hamilton wore gold over gold- so monochrome uniforms are very much in keeping with Ticat traditions, despite what some diehards say. I say give the new monochrome looks a chance - they're unique, and the team can always cave in and add gold pants later. People have to remember that a consistent colour stripe from shoulder to knee is intrinsically better design sense and highlights body flow, and contrasting jerseys and pants stripes have often resulted only because designers and teams didn't think things through. To me it shows inattentiveness to details. At the very least, dogmatic and "safe" design.

I chose to use black numbers instead of white for two reasons: again, a nod to tradition (see the photo above) and the knowledge that third jerseys would likely be worn on special occasions, like Labour Day, which are far more likely to be day games. White numbers on gold in the glare of the sun wouldn't provide adequate contrast for identification.

Yeesh. A lot of justification! :wacko: Thanks to eriqjaffe for the font. I also thank nick1733 for the template if he's responsible for it - I've seen posts that indicate it is an amalgam from several sources, so if I miscredited it, apologies.

Fire away. I am so unworthy...

those are amazing! try and submit them to the Cats!

untitled-6.jpg

Bravo. One of the few monochroms sets that I actually like. I could see this on the field, and it would break up the Reebok-design monopoly.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Quite similar to an old set they had--but I've seen film of them, and they actually don't look so great--but maybe yours would work.

I tried all yellow in Madden but gave them black shoulders...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

One problem though, Ricky Ray will come back to Edmonton!

You guys can afford another high paid QB?

Hamilton may actually be the destination if, and it's a big if, Frito Ray comes back to play north of the border. They were prepared to throw a lot of money at Doug Flutie, and I wouldn't be surprised if they offered something similar to Ricky.

Ray is a free agent, so he could realistically end up anywhere. However, I think we can rule out BC, Calgary, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, and Montreal fairly quickly. We might be faced with ruling out the entire CFL if he lands a contract with another NFL team.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Good work, great execution, but unfortuantely, of all the horrid CFL uniforms unveiled the other day, I thought Hamilton had, by far, the best-looking jerseys of the bunch, IMHO; I still like your set, but the Ti-Cats do not need a change. And that's a personal record for most commas in a sentence. B)

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

Archived