Houston Rockets logo concept

Starchild

Now that the semester is over, I'm working on a Houston Rockets concept. I'm trying to go somewhat old school, but still remain current... more likely the logo would be more old school and the jerseys more up-to-date. Anyway, making a logo is absolutely impossible thus far... I'm not a big fan of how their current logo looks with the rocket shooting upward from the R. Their old school early 90s logo never had a rocket in it at all, and the mid 90s one is far too cartoony. It seems you can only go with 2 extremes when trying to incorporate a rocket... either it's boring or it's too cartoony and childish.

Here's what I've got so far... rocket looks a little too like a plane, and I all of a sudden started to think it looks a little like the Jets old logo. Needless to say, I'm frustrated.

RocketsLogoConcept1.gif

Colors and other stuff to come later on, the basic design is just black right now.

Please give as many idea/suggestions as possible as to what I can possibly do. Thanx.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I think the "Rockets" font needs to be a little more distinct...it looks too plain/generic right now. It needs something that reminds you of a rocket, or space travel, or something like that...when I envision the Rockets, I think of a blazing engine from a shuttle, so maybe that could inspire your font choice.

I wonder how much better the present set would look if they added some of the old yellow to the mix - a little mustard with all that ketchup...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

when I see the rocket you have there, makes me think of a model rocket.

Trust me, I know the challenges of designing a rocket. My HS mascot was the rockets and I was responsible for pretty much all t-shirt designs. Its near impossible to not make it either corny or look like a penis.

I think toledo has the best looking rocket around, or the one I did for my HS recently (to toot my own horn) which was inspired by toledo but turned out quite different. I've rarely seen any good ones at all though.

I think you got the skills to pull something off. For now, I'd definatly reconsider the current shape.

In it's current form... it reminds me more of a corporate logo on a business card, like "Rockets Auto Parts, Inc." The streaking bars look out of place. What if you use the end of that top bar(the flag-like thing on the left end) and attached it to each letter? Another idea, that I've never seen done before, is to have the two bottom parts of the "R" as rocket engines - then, have "Houston" in a puff of smoke below the "Rockets" wordmark, with the smoke coming from the "rockets'" on the bottom of the R - sorry i can't really draw it up for ya...

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Its near impossible to not make it either corny or look like a penis.

I know what you mean. A High School near here has the Rockets as a nickname and the top of their Rocket looks the head of the male appendage. Everyone in the conference makes fun of it. It looks really odd on the football helmets.

I know what you mean. A High School near here has the Rockets as a nickname and the top of their Rocket looks the head of the male appendage. Everyone in the conference makes fun of it. It looks really odd on the football helmets.

you have to get a sample of that to show us now! LOL

Looks like there's some funky kerning going on with the Rockets font as well. The spaces between letters aren't consistent, esp. in the C-K-E area. Otherwise, I kind of dig it, and I'd really like to see it in colour.

heh, I know who you're talkin about :D they must have changed it recently, last time I really noticed their rocket, it looked like a farting silo :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

when I see the rocket you have there, makes me think of a model rocket.

Trust me, I know the challenges of designing a rocket. My HS mascot was the rockets and I was responsible for pretty much all t-shirt designs.  Its near impossible to not make it either corny or look like a penis.

I think toledo has the best looking rocket around, or the one I did for my HS recently (to toot my own horn) which was inspired by toledo but turned out quite different.  I've rarely seen any good ones at all though. 

I think you got the skills to pull something off.  For now, I'd definatly reconsider the current shape.

For the shape of the rocket, you could make it look like an old Saturn5 rocket. On one of my concepts awhile back I used that for an sleeve patch logo (although I must admit it looks rather like a syringe to me). You can be the judge:

Huntsville Concept

LT

meh heres just and idea i was playing with:

houstonrocketslogos.gif

It's nice, but my first thought was, "It is just a cartoon face away from the rocket logo they just ditched for the present logo package." Did you use the came colors as they had through Yao's first year?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I like the colors and the design, but I got the feeling that Houston fans prefer the red/yellow scheme. I like the red/yellow myself, but that may be just because they so badly screwed up the colors you used with the thick pinstripes and gigantic cartoony logo across the chest of the jerseys.

Sadly, the only NBA jersey I own is that very Rockets jersey - a guy from my high school made the team, I was drunk, it was late and I was at an all-night store in Miami, you could guess the rest... :blink:

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived