USFL UNIFORM POLL!

tulanebc

Which teams had the best unis in the USFL??? (Be glad this wasn't about the WFL)  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vote here.....all about who had the best in a league that showcased some of the best logo-uni combinations in history (IMO)....MY vote goes to the Breakers......i've done some redesigns of their jerseys lately, to see what they would look like if they were here today......i'll show them on here soon

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have so many faves from the USFL it was hard to choose one, but I voted for the Invaders because their uniforms were pretty unique in football, period. Of course I am talking about their unis with the yellow pants, not white.

If allowed to vote more than once, I would also go with the Bandits, Gold, Wranglers (84), Bulls, and Panthers.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Ahh the USFL! For what its worth, but the Blitz and Wranglers swapped cities after the first season, and each team had different uniforms the following year. I voted for the Blitz' second version. Their first version looked similar to the old Patriots unis with the shoulder stripe. The second one was based on the original, but added a lot more detail to the sleeves. The Wranglers first version looked rather collegiate, but the second one featured the gold pants with flames going up the side.

LT

It would probably be easier to list the least favorite uniform. For me, the San Antonio Gunslingers were the worst. Clipart logo and the color use was horrid.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Yes the Gunslingers were horrid and cartoonish. The '84 Outlaws with the black helmet/jersey/pants was also pretty goofy, and stupid when you consider they had to wear those unis at home in May/June/July in friggin' Oklahoma!

I still don't know why teams like the Invaders and Gold dropped their yellow/gold pants and went to white, it didn't make them look better at all.

Loved the flames on the '84 Wranglers pants!

Federals had good unis in '84 after being quite pedestrian in '83. Of course, the team still sucked.

Federals had good unis in '84 after being quite pedestrian in '83. Of course, the team still sucked.

I agree. That green, black, and gray were an excellent combination. That and the addition of the star emblem over the sleeve stripes made for a very nice uniform.

LT

So who wants to tackle a USFL Third Jersey project? Here's what they probably would have gone with:

Arizona Wranglers: red

Birmingham Stallions: gold (with white pants only)

Boston Breakers: navy blue

Chicago Blitz: blue

Denver Gold: gold

Houston Gamblers: red

Jacksonville Bulls: orange

LA Express: red

Memphis Showboats: black

Michigan Panthers: light blue

New Jersey Generals: blue

Oakland Invaders: yellow

Oklahoma Outlaws: red

Philadelphia Stars: gold

Pittsburgh Maulers: orange

San Antonio Gunslingers: green

Tampa Bay Bandits: black

Washington Federals: black

So who wants to tackle a USFL Third Jersey project? Here's what they probably would have gone with:

Arizona Wranglers: red

Just wanted to say that if you are not aware, the Wranglers actually did have a red jersey available in 1984 - They just never wore it. FWIW, here is the link I have found useful for USFL uniform history. It shows that Wrangler red.

http://oursportscentral.com/uniforms/usflunis.html

LT

I'll go ahead and plug my USFL Team Colors research page as well:

USFL Paint Specs

...and I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I DO have the definitive answer on those notorious Wranglers' Red jerseys:

I spoke to a Wrangler front-office person (via telephone) back in 1984. I was trying to get some color information on the new uniforms (big surprise - you can see that I've been at this game a long time!), and this person informed me that the Wranglers wanted to switch from Blue home jerseys to Red (to go along with the new Copper pants), but the USFL had instigated a new rule that stated that teams that change uniform color had to wait ONE season. Either that, or give the league at least a year's notice. So, they were forced to wear White jerseys the entire 1984 season, and presumably, would be able to wear the Red in 1985. But, they ended up merging with the Outlaws, so the Red jerseys were never worn.

I'll go ahead and plug my USFL Team Colors research page as well:

USFL Paint Specs

...and I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I DO have the definitive answer on those notorious Wranglers' Red jerseys:

I spoke to a Wrangler front-office person (via telephone) back in 1984.  I was trying to get some color information on the new uniforms (big surprise - you can see that I've been at this game a long time!), and this person informed me that the Wranglers wanted to switch from Blue home jerseys to Red (to go along with the new Copper pants), but the USFL had instigated a new rule that stated that teams that change uniform color had to wait ONE season.  Either that, or give the league at least a year's notice.  So, they were forced to wear White jerseys the entire 1984 season, and presumably, would be able to wear the Red in 1985.  But, they ended up merging with the Outlaws, so the Red jerseys were never worn.

Wow, thanks for the info! That's really interesting. Ironically, the 1984 Wranglers were just the '83 Blitz (only relocated) and the '83 Blitz already did wear red jerseys. I guess the league considered each Wrangler team to be the same franchise identity wise :wacko: ...

LT

Another bad thing about the Oklahoma Outlaws is that none of the striping patterns matched. It was as if they bought the jerseys and pants from 2 different suppliers.

And San Antonio didn't use clip art, the Gunslinger was drawn by the editorial cartoonist at the San Antonio Express-News. Still doesn't make it any better.

Year 1 Blitz were far better than Year 2 ... the sleeves were way too busy (like the current 49ers are).

My favorites are the Panthers, but i voted for the Az Wrangers because i loved the copper flame pants and wanted them up in 2nd place!

Despite being an LA Express fan (pre Steve Young even), I've got to go with the Michigan Panthers on this one.

Someone in the CCSLC put together an absolutely devastating series of "turn the clock forward" logos for USFL teams, pondering what their logos would look like today. Sadly I don't recall who did it, and even more sadly the work was left incomplete... :cry:

nav-logo.png

Archived