Devil Rays & Cardinals to wear throwbacks tonight

boardname

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as Ity makes me cringe to say. the powder blues look great with the current cut of unifoms. adding buttons and belts would be nice to see, but the sans-a-belt look is pretty -gasp- cool. at least its not two tone, and the dont look like dog catchers the way the padres do. for a limited amount of teams (jays, royals, brewers) this would work today. never thought id say that. the brewers would be best, since they (as the the pilots) essentially invented the look. a lot is said about harking back to the teams glory years, and those were the glory years for the royals and brewers. what am i saying?

Didn't the Florida Marlins wear "Miami" uniforms a couple of times, back in the day? I distinctly remember a picture...

A few additional comments...

I was all set to buy one of these jerseys. They were starting to get cheap, and then they go out and wear them, which without question will drive up the price again.

Second, yes the Florida Marlins wore Miami Marlins uniform. It was a minor league team that played there. Benito Santiago played for them (well he played for both) at one time.

Back to the STL on the caps...

I don't know whether they are just knockoffs or from farther back like PCGD said, but I actually own caps that have the overlapping and more serifed style. They were my parents though, so I don't know when they were bought.

The thing is though, and I'll have to wait till I get home in a few days, but I'm pretty sure I have a baseball card of Ozzie Smith or someone else during the early '90s that features the player in a red pullover older BP style jersey with an STL on the chest. I'm fairly certain that it was more serifed and possibly overlapped.

Now, it may be that they were a little sloppy and had that STL logo as well as the one on the cap (thank God they don't anymore...that'd drive me crazy), or it might be that they've just fluctuated the STL's a lot. I don't know. I'm gonna try and do some research though.

I've found that pullover I was talking about.

I believe this was from the early '90s. As you can see, the cap is pretty much like the current though, so it's two different STL logos.

Ozzie_Smith_HOF.jpg

I don't have a clue why this image is reversed but you can still see the STLs

Ozzie_Smith.jpg

Now, this doesn't figure out anything about the serifed and overlapping STL caps, but it does show an existance about a different STL logo.

All this research may be for me, but if you care, stay tuned, I'll keep updating. Though, until I get home I won't be able to do THAT much.

Here's something kind of weird...

Tommy Herr in a similar pullover but it has the cap STL on the chest. I can't quite make the year on the card out, but I think it is '89.

I don't know whether that is before or after the Ozzie photo...I was just guessing early '90s on it...it could have been '80s.

tommyherr.jpg

Tommy Herr in a similar pullover but it has the cap STL on the chest. I can't quite make the year on the card out, but I think it is '89.

I don't know whether that is before or after the Ozzie photo...I was just guessing early '90s on it...it could have been '80s.

tommyherr.jpg

STL - the Tommy Herr card is an '87, which would make the picture more than likely from the '86 season.

the brewers would be best, since they (as the the pilots) essentially invented the look.

Looking back as far as 1960, the White Sox wore powder blues on the road as early as 1964-65 (and did again in 1971), but the Pilots didn't exist until '69.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Maybe I should comment on this... The Devil Rays wore University of Tampa throwbacks somewhat in honor of Lou Pinella who is a fellow UT Alum. He went to UT in the early 60's, and since the Devil Rays have a lack of history (and winning for that matter), they chose the UT duds. UT currently has a couple of different jerseys, the last ones that I saw them have on TV were red... but the interlocking UT logo is what is on the hats. The jerseys I beleive just say Tampa on the front and have a number on the back, the picture that was posted looked like they were wearing warmups. They are auctioning off all the jerseys from the game on DevilRays.com like stated earlier, and according to the radio broadcast it's both the Cardinals and UT jerseys being auctioned. Go Spartans. :P

tommyherr.jpg

I miss Tommy Herr.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I miss Tommy Herr.

Me too.

Ironically, I have an '89 Tommy Herr card that he was nice enough to autograph for me before the '89 season, his first in Philadelphia. In fact, the only autograph I was ever shot down for was Steve "Two-Oh-Seven" Jeltz. I was 13, and dislike Jeltz more for that than for his mediocrity to this day.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

tommyherr.jpg

I miss Tommy Herr.

His son Aaron is playing down here in Springfield now. Plays 2b just like his dad, except he wears 38 instead of 28.

tommyherr.jpg

I miss Tommy Herr.

His son Aaron is playing down here in Springfield now. Plays 2b just like his dad, except he wears 38 instead of 28.

Cool. I'll probably get to see him then.

It's sounding like the day I leave the Fine Arts Academy (Saturday), my family is gonna go to the S-Cards game and then drive home that nite.

Archived