Devil Rays & Cardinals to wear throwbacks tonight

boardname

The game will have a retro flavor, as the Cardinals will wear the powder-blue uniforms of their 1982 World Championship team and the Devil Rays will wear the uniforms of the 1964 University of Tampa team, which Rays manager Lou Piniella wore when he played there.

It's official - the throwback craze has gone too far. Why would the Cardinals wear their throwbacks on the road in an interleague game in a coffin of a park against a team they never played that year (or just about every other year)?

And why do we care about the 1964 U of Tampa team? Are you kidding?

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't find pics of UT in 1964.. but here's what they have now:

2005bb.jpg

When the school moved into the Tampa Bay Hotel in 1933, head football coach Nash Higgens chose the team colors. Due to the fact that most of his players came from Hillsborough High (Red and Black) and Plant High (Black and Gold), Coach Higgens combined the colors of those two schools making the University?s colors red, black and gold.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

The game will have a retro flavor, as the Cardinals will wear the powder-blue uniforms of their 1982 World Championship team and the Devil Rays will wear the uniforms of the 1964 University of Tampa team, which Rays manager Lou Piniella wore when he played there.

And why do we care about the 1964 U of Tampa team? Are you kidding?

at the very least it gives the D-Rays a chance to dress like a winning team :D

but yeah, this seems like a first. haven't heard of a pro team wearing college throwbacks til now...and this is considering I have seen a couple odd examples of TBTC action: the local semipro team wore their 50s uniforms for an early home game several years ago, and at least while I was a junior and senior, the volleyball team donned yellow unis from the 80s (they usually wear green)...hell, they didn't just throw back-they took the genuine articles outta the mothballs :wacko:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

This is not the first time the Rays have worn some type of throwbacks....the first time they wore unis from an old Minor league team called the Tampa Tarpons, then one year they wore throwbacks twice, both being versions of the St. Petersburg Saints unis, this is the third type of throwback they have worn. I personally was hoping for University of South Florida throwbacks since LaRussa graduated from USF

Isn't a throwback something you previously wore? Why throwback to a team that has nothing to do with you or MLB? Who is going to throwback to their local high school?

KISSwall09.jpg

I see nothing wrong with letting only the Cards wear throwbacks. Is there a rule somewhere that stipulates BOTH teams must be wearing some kind of old-ass ugly uniform for a game to be played?

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Isn't a throwback something you previously wore? Why throwback to a team that has nothing to do with you or MLB? Who is going to throwback to their local high school?

Then I guess we should prohibit teams from wearing unis of teams from the Negro Leagues right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, for full effect, every one of those Cardinals players should be wearing a uni about 2 sizes smaller than the ones they have on.

And show me some stirrup, boys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Gotta agree with Sodboy, at least show some stirrups. Check out the White Sox throwback from Saturday. Most of the players actually sported stirrups and it looked nice, not sloppy like the cards. The Sox unis were baggy, but they probably were back then. Nice effort by the Dodgers to wear any sort of throwback. Hell, they won the world series that the White Sox are harkening back to. I guess they couldn't get the 1959 Compton High unis shipped to Chicago. :D

With the D-rays payroll, they probably are mostly guys who should be playing college ball. :P

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived