Padres Alternate

DarthMan

It is strange -- if somebody is wearing khaki pants with a navy blue shirt, or khaki pants with a navy blue blazer, they really look sharp.

But when the Padres wear khaki pants with a navy blue jersy, it looks ugly.

Which only goes to show -- the fashion world and the sports fashion world don't mingle well.

I personally like the khaki road concept. However, I'm not a fan of the script they chose. It just doesn't go with anything else in their package. If they throw the SD on the shirt like late 80s style, it might look better.

If your saying the San Diego font in general doesn't match, then neither would the SD. It's the same lettering as San Diego. If anything, the home script doesn't match up with the rest of the package.

IMO, all the lettering goes together pretty well. I don't really have much of a problem with anything in their uni's.

And by the way, I really do like the all-khaki (or all-sand) road uniforms of the Padres. I really think it's a nice tribute to the troops.

I like the sand road unis too, but I sure hope the Padres are not so lame as to call what they wear "a tribute to the troops." A tribute to the troops would involve raising money for their families, or bringing their kids to the ballpark gratis, or playing a service anthem before the game, or showing photos of the honored war dead on the scoreboard, or broadcasting games for free to bases overseas or something. Dressing like the troops is just playing dress-up. It's self-indulgent vanity. If anyone wants to support our troops by dressing like a soldier, he can go down to his local recruitment office and sign up.

Now, if the Padres claim that the sand uniform is a way of marketing themselves to members of the armed services, then I would salute the Padres for their honesty and salesmanship. But a "tribute"? Nonsense.

20082614447.png

Khaki, sand, whatever you call it, it still has the same effect.

The point that I made earlier is that the road uniforms are "Khaki", and the lighter trim color in the logo and uniforms is "Sand".

Two different colors.

well, the Cubs' roads rarely look anything like the homes, nor do the Yankees roads resemble the homes. In that same token, the Royals use script for the home wordmark but block for teh road wordmark. I see no problem with the Padres' roads looking almost nothing like the homes.

I feel it necessary to remark that the Yanks' grays and KC's grays (and for that matter, Minnesota and the Cubbies) wordmarks are rather, shall we say, nondescript? I mean, they aren't all block, but nothing really exciting. Meanwhile, San Diego has got that bowtie which is just weird to me. I'd kinda rather them dig out one of the San Diego wordmarks from the past, but keep the sand/navy/khaki color.

For the record, I really like the alternate with the sand pants.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

And by the way, I really do like the all-khaki (or all-sand) road uniforms of the Padres. I really think it's a nice tribute to the troops.

I like the sand road unis too, but I sure hope the Padres are not so lame as to call what they wear "a tribute to the troops." A tribute to the troops would involve raising money for their families, or bringing their kids to the ballpark gratis, or playing a service anthem before the game, or showing photos of the honored war dead on the scoreboard, or broadcasting games for free to bases overseas or something. Dressing like the troops is just playing dress-up. It's self-indulgent vanity. If anyone wants to support our troops by dressing like a soldier, he can go down to his local recruitment office and sign up.

Now, if the Padres claim that the sand uniform is a way of marketing themselves to members of the armed services, then I would salute the Padres for their honesty and salesmanship. But a "tribute"? Nonsense.

im a padres fan living here in san diego...and most of that stuff they actually do in regards to helping out the military families. they do lots of stuff with the military to help out.

one of the most popular things done is bringing marine recruits to home games every sunday and playing the halls of montezuma in between innings.

• 4 weeks later...

Being a Padres fan since 1974, I must say that I detest the current ensemble of uniforms. When I read that the Padres were changing uniforms (again) in step with moving into the new Petco Park, I was excited, as I envisioned a return to the classic brown and gold. Alas, such was not the case, as the current navy, light blue, sand, etc., etc. is hideous (and no doubt a marketing tool, as it matches the inner seats and colors of the new stadium). When the Padres changed to the navy and orange look in the 1990s, as a "throwback" attempt to the classic PCL Padres of the 1950s, the throwback was incorrect, as the PCL Padres were navy and white, or navy and red, not orange.

I wrote a letter and e-mail letter at length to the Padres, explaining why in my opinion that the new uniforms would never sell very well (and have not, as of this writing). The most popular uniforms are those from the 1976-79 period, concerning sales, marketing, throwbacks, etc. Just look at the sales at Mitchell & Ness, etc.

Also, concerning the graphic of the 1978 uniforms earlier in this post, the alternate gold body jersey is incorrect in the graphic, and has been produced incorrectly by Mitchell and Ness. The v-neck should be brown, not gold. On the Mitchell and Ness jersey, they incorrectly produced a Gaylord Perry version last year, and have once again incorrectly produced a Dave Winfield version of the 1978 gold alternate jersey, both with the v-neck in gold, and the gold stripe band on the sleeve raised up above the bottom of the sleeve. The band should be flush with the bottom. After two letters to Mitchell and Ness (last year and this year), the president wrote me back and offered me a jersey of my choice (or the incorrect gold version) for pointing this out to them. They had promised to correct the error last year after the Gaylord Perry jersey, but such was not the case. Now they have "promised" to sell the incorrect jersey for half-price on their website $150.... We'll see.

The Padres to me have always been and will always be brown and gold; as a graphic designer, I am working on a "new" look incorporating the brown and gold back into the uniform scheme. Also, the typestyle used on the 1978-84 jerseys was the official typeface of the Padres from inception in 1969 to 1984.... Here's hoping that Sandy Alderson takes the time to read my letter and consider my designs.... The old brown leggings with gold sanitary socks are classic, as is the old-style brown cap with the small gold triangle. I also prefer the old-style interlocking "SD", in which the D was interlocked in the bottom portion of the S, instead of the top, as has been since 1985.

Thanks,

Jayworld

Also, concerning the graphic of the 1978 uniforms earlier in this post, the alternate gold body jersey is incorrect in the graphic, and has been produced incorrectly by Mitchell and Ness. The v-neck should be brown, not gold. On the Mitchell and Ness jersey, they incorrectly produced a Gaylord Perry version last year, and have once again incorrectly produced a Dave Winfield version of the 1978 gold alternate jersey, both with the v-neck in gold, and the gold stripe band on the sleeve raised up above the bottom of the sleeve. The band should be flush with the bottom. After two letters to Mitchell and Ness (last year and this year), the president wrote me back and offered me a jersey of my choice (or the incorrect gold version) for pointing this out to them. They had promised to correct the error last year after the Gaylord Perry jersey, but such was not the case. Now they have "promised" to sell the incorrect jersey for half-price on their website $150.... We'll see.

I'm assuming you took that jersey. Can we see some pics?

Jayworld, while I share your passion regarding Padre brown, I don't think the 1978 wordmark nor the '70s mustard yellow would work in a 21st century package.

I DO know that when the Padres eventially decide to return to brown (either as a primary or as a secondary color to blue) it will be hailed in the San Diego market and jersey and cap sales will skyrocket.

that is ugly because it is tan/khaki

Technically, yes - ND's are gold. However, their gold is pretty desaturated looking, especially in certain lighting conditions. It is nothing like say, USC's gold. That said, do you think the Padres would look a lot better if they used ND's "khaki-ish" gold rather then the straight khaki?

LT

Technically, yes - ND's are gold. However, their gold is pretty desaturated looking, especially in certain lighting conditions. It is nothing like say, USC's gold. That said, do you think the Padres would look a lot better if they used ND's "khaki-ish" gold rather then the straight khaki?

LT

no, I can't put my finger on it but I just don't like their uni set. It does not look good to me. That being said, they need to go back to brown,orange, and yellow. Thats the color scheme I like

LT

no, I can't put my finger on it but I just don't like their uni set. It does not look good to me. That being said, they need to go back to brown,orange, and yellow. Thats the color scheme I like

Well, no problem, Redsfan. I can appreciate an man's honest opinion. I am not a Padre fan, so I cannot relate to the tradition/nostalgia aspect. However, in their own right, though, I do like the Navy/Khaki (gold) combo.

LT

I'm exactly the opposite. I liked the blue and orange (although I preferred the pinstripes to the later snow whites). I esp. liked the simple block and shadow of the road grays.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Archived