Phillies brass reject mascot name...

TBGKon

http://tampatrib.com/Business/MGBMUHGSZBE.html

I just found this article, and since I am an avid fan of the Clearwater Threshers baseball club, I figured I would post it.

Apparently, the mascotless Threshers wanted to name their mascot "Tug McJaws" after the late Phillies reliever Tug McGraw. But apparently an outside legal analyst told them that it would be trademark infringing upon McDonald's restaurants and Universal, who owns the rights to the movie Jaws.

Personally, I feel that this is total BS. Tug McJaws is a good name and gives rememberance to a Phillie great. I will be sending an email to info@threshersbaseball.com and letting them know how I feel. I will also include some other ideas that I come up with for the mascot. If any of you out there feel compelled enough to email, go ahead.

Wow! When I read the beginning of this post I thought they rejected the name because of some sexual innuendo.

Which part? Being the Tugger, or being named McJaws? :lol:

I miss Tug. Got to meet him years ago when I was much younger. What a genuinely nice guy he was. I was hoping the Phillies would retire his #45, but they keep citing a rule that the player needs to be in the Hall of Fame before they'd retire his number (which is ostensibly their "Pete Rose" defense...). But Richie Ashburn's #1 had been retired before 1980, and he didn't get into the HOF for almost 20 years after that. What gives?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Wow! When I read the beginning of this post I thought they rejected the name because of some sexual innuendo.

Which part? Being the Tugger, or being named McJaws? :lol:

I miss Tug. Got to meet him years ago when I was much younger. What a genuinely nice guy he was. I was hoping the Phillies would retire his #45, but they keep citing a rule that the player needs to be in the Hall of Fame before they'd retire his number (which is ostensibly their "Pete Rose" defense...). But Richie Ashburn's #1 had been retired before 1980, and he didn't get into the HOF for almost 20 years after that. What gives?

It sucks how they let numbers get worn by tons of players and then retire them. Look at Jim Bunning. 14 was worn by countless players and coaches before they retired it. Even #1 was worn before it was retired.

Even if they decided to retire 45, it has been tainted by the likes of (get this-) Jeff Brantly, Chris Bock, Yorkis Perez, Terry Mulholland, David Palmer, Greg Jelks, and probably others.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know... call him Duff McShark... what... what do you mean the simpsons did it... k, but really what havent the simpsons done, next thing you are going to tell me theres a team called the isotopes... oh there is... but its not like they are in albequerque... oh they are... hmmmmm

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Why not just use the name Tug McGraw or simply McGraws?

If they throw a fit over the sue of "Mc" of "Jaws" then just come out and say it....

WE WISH TO HONOR TUG McGRAW by calling our team the McGraws.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I know... call him Duff McShark... what... what do you mean the simpsons did it... k, but really what havent the simpsons done, next thing you are going to tell me theres a team called the isotopes... oh there is... but its not like they are in albequerque... oh they are... hmmmmm

simpson78.jpg

simpson61.jpg

"Simpsons did it..."

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Archived