chicago wnba on 9/20

goforbroke

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really wasn't kidding that much. i think sacramento monarchs is really clever. its a take off of kings and the logo is like a monarch butterfly - although the colors are wrong. i mean could that be any more on the nose for a women's version of the kings? -- without callin them the queens i guess.

and some of the logos are pretty decent... i liked the sting before they went orange, and the liberty uniforms are nice. its not all that bad

and as far as fans... most of them probably don't post here but they do draw like 8-10,000 a game which is not bad at all.

i think the chicago team will be something with wind.

chicago breeze (which we will of course refer to as the chicago bras)

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

My money's on Zephyrs.  (I know one person who'll be happy...)

Zephyrs makes sense, but it rhymes with Heifers. Don't think it'll make it, but you never know.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Interesting read about the WNBA from The Sports Guy (ESPN.com)

If you don't feel like reading it, though, here's the synopsis..."they're trying so desperately to make it seem like it's fun to watch women to play basketball professionally, when it's really not"

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The name and colors probably won't be related to the Bulls in any way since the team is owned by a different group and plays at a different arena--other than being NBA-affiliated teams in Chicago, they're unrelated.

That's a good point.

Ugh.

Bill Simmons stole my point, which is this: I don't mind women's sports. And I don't even like the NBA. Give me a college or even decent high school game, and I'm set. But stop forcing the WNBA on me, as if being constantly bombarded by ads will somehow make me reconsider the league! It's just not good basketball, and the NBA is funneling millions and millions of dollars into a venture that will not yield them money. Give the money to the people ravaged by the hurricane; at least then, the money is going to a good cause. This is not a good cause, and the quixotic quest for legitimacy is embarrassing.

This is not to say that women's athletics aren't worth watching; I find many women's sports enjoyable and competitive. The WNBA just isn't one of them.

And now they're expanding? Why? Has Chicago stood up and clamored for women's basketball?

And the WNBA has just about cornered the market on hideous team names. Only the MLS and the Collective Name Outbreak (Fire, Mutiny, Revolution, Galaxy, Clash, Burn, Wiz, Crew) keeps the WNBA from setting the bar here.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The MLS names are horrible, but you gotta love the unintentional comedy when Kansas City (before they became the Wizards) took on Dallas, in the painful Wiz and Burn game. :D

i'm surprised the wnba has lasted as long as it has.

When the WNBA debuted, didn't another (non-NBA affiliated) women's pro league begin as well? I can't remember the name of the league or any of the teams, but I am sure it happened. In fact, I think the WNBA actually began some months after this league...

LT

EDIT: Yep, there sure was.

The American Basketball League of 1996 was an attempt to establish an independent professional basketball league for women in the United States. At the same time the ABL was being formed, the National Basketball Association was creating the Women's National Basketball Association. The ABL got off the ground first, but was unable to compete against the WNBA, which was backed by the NBA. The ABL lasted two full seasons; 1996-97 and 1997-98. The Atlanta Glory and Long Beach folded prior to the start of the 1998-99 season. The ABL disbanded on December 22, 1998 with most teams having played about 12 games of the 1998-99 season.

ABL Women's Basketball

I think this league, without the NBA collective identity, would have been more original and held my interest better.

The MLS names are horrible, but you gotta love the unintentional comedy when Kansas City (before they became the Wizards) took on Dallas, in the painful Wiz and Burn game. :D

GO WIZ! FEEL THE BURN!

Ow...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

How about the Chicago RedBulls.

Named after the energy drink of same name. They could get a big sponsorship and use the redbull drink logo and colors.

Or BullRiders Riders BullRunners GoldCoast Landlords Slumlords Cabbies Mobsters

Or my favorite.....Drum Roll Please.......The LOOPS. It says it all and works best if RedBulls sponsorship idea falls through.

LOOPS would have a nice cursive looping written logo and could use the L(train system) as a logo. RR tracks going down the side of pants with girders incorporated in a secondary logo to mimic the elevated portions.

Archived