Washington Capitals

P.I.L.L.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the CC...

as for the #'s I had on the front... no idea of another hockey team doing that~ was just experimenting. as for no "capital" reference ?... what can I say~ there's (stars) same as they're current screaming eagle uni~ which only other reference to the capital / capitol is a patch of the alernate capital/hockey stick (clipart) jumble on the shoulder. That logo is so bad, I can't even look at it.

I swore I wouldn't get sucked into this one.....but it's the Caps.....my boys. So I must.

Your eyes are too big. They are also blue, which is a problem.

The pen and ink sketch style would be hard enough to work into an emblem because it's not defined by anything. But if you must, work off your original idea where the lines go down on the left, and up on the right. Make it a "flag in the breeze" motif. As though the Eagle and flag are one amorphous entity.

These colors are pretty garbage. While I love black in the current Caps scheme there is no place for it in this one. And the earth tone gold/silver whatever doesn't have enough ooomph.

And while we're at it, red is a primary color in this concept but appears nowhere in the logo itself.

The stars on the sleeves would never be visible with gloves on.

The Capitals are a hotbutton issue here anyway.....with some devout believers (myself included) that the current look (minus the black and plus the old blue road) are some of the finest unis ever designed..........opposite a majority of people craving a return to r/w/b or that hideous never used concept you see floatin' around.

I'd like to think I could be fair with a new idea, even though I love the blue n bronze. But this concept is all over the map....lacks the most base polish and consistency that your Nats one at least has.

I don't mean to get down on you. I appreciate your hard work and wish you success.

But this ain't it. Keep at it.

And PS - That Capitol Dome logo is awesome. Obvious? yes. Simple? Yes. Cliche? Sure. Until someone shows me a better version though.....a little respect. It's one of those logos that seems like you've seen it a million times and would be lame because of it. No real boundaries broken or trends set per say. But it is the picture of effective and well done. Says it all. Awesome. Better as a secondary of course, but awesome none-the-less.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I swore I wouldn't get sucked into this one.....but it's the Caps.....my boys. So I must.

Your eyes are too big. They are also blue, which is a problem.

The pen and ink sketch style would be hard enough to work into an emblem because it's not defined by anything. But if you must, work off your original idea where the lines go down on the left, and up on the right. Make it a "flag in the breeze" motif. As though the Eagle and flag are one amorphous entity.

These colors are pretty garbage. While I love black in the current Caps scheme there is no place for it in this one. And the earth tone gold/silver whatever doesn't have enough ooomph.

And while we're at it, red is a primary color in this concept but appears nowhere in the logo itself.

The stars on the sleeves would never be visible with gloves on.

The Capitals are a hotbutton issue here anyway.....with some devout believers (myself included) that the current look (minus the black and plus the old blue road) are some of the finest unis ever designed..........opposite a majority of people craving a return to r/w/b or that hideous never used concept you see floatin' around.

I'd like to think I could be fair with a new idea, even though I love the blue n bronze. But this concept is all over the map....lacks the most base polish and consistency that your Nats one at least has.

I don't mean to get down on you. I appreciate your hard work and wish you success.

But this ain't it. Keep at it.

And PS - That Capitol Dome logo is awesome. Obvious? yes. Simple? Yes. Cliche? Sure. Until someone shows me a better version though.....a little respect. It's one of those logos that seems like you've seen it a million times and would be lame because of it. No real boundaries broken or trends set per say. But it is the picture of effective and well done. Says it all. Awesome. Better as a secondary of course, but awesome none-the-less.

gracias senor sterling... sometimes, I get one right. As for going back to the original lines on this eagle logo, I'll attempt to work that way again, 'cause the shape of it (now) is more "standard", and not as dynamic as it was before. but w/ no black? hmmmmm... don't know about that one. btw, can't convey gold w/o using a gradient, and god forbid I do that HERE ! may just do it anyway though...

gracias senor sterling... sometimes, I get one right.

What are you thanking him for? Appears to me that he just ripped your design to shreds. I could be wrong...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

gracias senor sterling... sometimes, I get one right.

What are you thanking him for? Appears to me that he just ripped your design to shreds. I could be wrong...

He did, but he did it in the right way.

Thats called constructive criticism.

As for going back to the original lines on this eagle logo, I'll attempt to work that way again, 'cause the shape of it (now) is more "standard", and not as dynamic as it was before. but w/ no black? hmmmmm... don't know about that one. btw, can't convey gold w/o using a gradient, and god forbid I do that HERE ! may just do it anyway though...

I have to agree that the logo doesn't need black. It seems out of place without black being anywhere else on the uniform. That goes for the beak color as well. Having logo colors that don't appear on the uniform somehow works for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but as a rule it just doesn't look right. If you could work those colors into the uniform, or remove them from the logo, it would work better. I liked the original lines here too. When I first I saw it and thought "Wow!". I think you could get away with using a gradient to show a metallic color. I have done the same to show metallic gold football pants. The challenge is in doing it convincingly.

Getting rid of the black you just added would help. Don't resort to using the crutch of the sports uniform and throw black in where it needn't be.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• 1 month later...

UPDATED 10-27 Constructive Criticism still appreciated...

622_capsjersey10.jpg

Like Cole, I strongly agree w/ the Caps returning to RW&B primarily, w/ touches of black, bronze or Gold...

these are still a work in progress... some inconsistencies, which I'm sure will be immediately pointed out, as usual... but it's much closer to being done now.

pardon me for not having numbers yet, that's just the last thing I work on.

I like the White Set a lot (my one quibble is having an asymmetric design with the single shoulder crest.), but the eagle on the reds still looks off to me. Some of it are the feathe 'tufts' on the right hand side going up, when on most eagles in that pose they would be going down, as you have on the left. Also, lose the black, it's not needed RW&B with gold accents is plenty.

Like Cole, I strongly agree w/ the Caps returning to RW&B primarily,  w/ touches of black, bronze or Gold...

Go for the gold. Bronze is the color of those who finish 3rd. It doesn't send the right message if they're comfortable wearing bronze over gold. Psychiatric head games in action!

these are still a work in progress... some inconsistencies, which I'm sure will be immediately pointed out, as usual... but it's much closer to being done now.

1. I actually prefer the new logo crest to the eagle, which still looks wrong - like it smacked beak-first into a glass window. The feathers don't go up on one side of the head, and down on the other side. If they're supposed to represent motion, the two sides of the head are moving in different directions. Either way, it looks off, and I can't get past it (I know this is not the first time I mentioned it, but it's the first thing I see). Also, I don't know of any eagles that have dark blue eyes.

1a. That said, I don't like the idea of 2 different crests on the jerseys - the height of inconsistency in the only of the 4 big sports leagues that rely exclusively on logos as the means of team identification (and almost never use wordmarks the way baseball and basketball do). I do prefer the 2nd one, but even that could use a slight redesign to make the Capitol dome the focus instead of the wordmark.

2. The sleeve striping varies from home to road jersey, especially toward the cuffs of the sleeves. Again, consistency across the design would be nice.

3. The asymmetry of the eagle head patch on the left shoulder. Either go with one on each shoulder, on not at all. Baseball uniforms look fine with asymmetrical patches, but hockey uniforms usually don't.

4. On the Capitol dome/wordmark logo, I'm not sure that a red star - the traditional symbol of Communism - belongs front and center on the crest.

Hope this helps...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• 4 weeks later...

At the risk of repeating what has been said many times about this project (as well as the baseball logos)- you really need to stop.

And then start over again if you really want to make a viable alternative logo.

There is no consistency to your work that ties the various primary, secondary, and wordmarks together as a cohesive identity package. Each may work well (more or less) on their own, but put together their flaws are evident. Lots of nice ideas perhaps, but mashing them all together almost never works. Take the most recent update-

The Caps logo with the Capital dome is rendered quite smoothly- even with whatappear to be reflection lines along the curves suggesting a smooth, reflective surface. While that's not how the actual building looks, I can take it as artistic license. But then the eagle head, which would be suited to a curved, streamlined shape, has jagged angles and hard edges to spare. The beak in particular looks like a robo-beak. And the lines on either side- the left side with angles pointing down and the right with the points angled up? Lose them. Again- they may have had their origin in an idea along the lines of "what if I tried this...? How would that look?"- but you've tried the idea and it doesn't look good.

I know you're really trying and you have amazing perserverance, (and I know criticism, whether Constructive Criticism or not will have no effect) time to put this one aside for a while. If for nothing else than to let your reputation improve. There seems to be an attitude of "I'm going to keep putting this out there until someone else validates it and I don't care who dislikes it because their opinions aren't woth anything." It seems rather aloof for someone who has recieve balanced perspective critiques from many talented artisits here.

Archived