Washington Capitals

P.I.L.L.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that bird looks to be too much of a nancy boy to be a hockey logo.

yeah, his "hair" (feathers) were a bit out of control... anyway, I tried a conventional outline, but it didn't look right on the white one... also, trying to figure out the best way to minimize the pallete... anyway, it's coming along... and for those who don't think it works for the Caps, oh welllllllllllllll :rolleyes:

UPDATED 9-6 Constructive Criticism still appreciated...

624_capsjersey5.jpg

One thing right off the back, the feathers are angular, but the beak is curvilinear. Take some artistic freedom and match them up (either both angular or both curvilinear). I believe going angular will create a stronger logo. I like the focus on just the eagles head though. Maybe come up with a wordmark to make a complete package.

who's the pretty birdie? who's the pretty birdie?

you're a pretty pretty birdie! yes you are.

in all seriousness, this is just too tame to be a hockey logo. the outlines aren't bold enough, the big eyes remind me of a kewpie doll, the weird feathers coming off the side of the face just don't work, in my opinion.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Oh dear God.  Stop.  Just please stop.  You're embarrassing yourself with this.

Almost as much as your claim that the Caps stole their logo from you in the first place.

Psst. That was the Nats

Psst.

He was referring to this post...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

It all makes sense now...P.I.L.L. could come up with the greatest design ever (not that this is, mind you) and it would get ripped to shreds because he's a narcissist and as a newbie pissed off a great deal of established and contributing members. I was wondering where the issue originated. Very interesting I must say, it should be required reading for all newbies of how not to conduct yourself. Seems to me that he will never gain credibility on this board, which is sad because he's definately an out of the box thinker, but you can't go pissing off established members and behaving unethically.

Just my $.02

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It all makes sense now...P.I.L.L. could come up with the greatest design ever (not that this is, mind you) and it would get ripped to shreds because he's a narcissist and as a newbie pissed off a great deal of established and contributing members. I was wondering where the issue originated. Very interesting I must say, it should be required reading for all newbies of how not to conduct yourself. Seems to me that he will never gain credibility on this board, which is sad because he's definately an out of the box thinker, but you can't go pissing off established members and behaving unethically.

Just my $.02

It's that, true, but the point simply is that his work is nothing short of glorified clip art, and yet he expects to be treated as a professional artist. The shady dealings/outright lies are just further caution for anyone with a shred of professionalism to stay away from him.

I remember that email.........

I'm sure you do Joshua... and if I didn't before, I sincerely apologize to you and to anyone I offended. At that time, I was being extremely defensive...

anyway, as I said before, all of us make mistakes, and hopefully we learn from our weaknesses, insecurities, etc... especially those who have nothing to contribute but redundant, negative (spiteful) rhetoric.

Ofcourse, I can understand a degree of cynicism... especially w/ how I came across initially... but at this point, it's simply unwarranted.

~CJ

Without allowing the past to serve as prelude, I am just not liking this concept at all. On the good side, the white striping helps the blue jersey. But on the other side, the logo still doesn't work - not only do the shapes that comprise the head not work well together, but the feather effects on the sides still convey motion that would mean the two sides of the head collided with each other. If a bird is in flight, the feathers wouldn't trail off the body in that fashion. It looks unnatural. And since it's the focus of your concept, it makes the concept look improper.

Now: the uniform number on the right chest? No sleeve numbers? One assymetrically placed number, where it doesn't belong? Looks like a contrived attempt to go with a TATC vibe. Major step backwards after a significant change for the better.

If this concept were on life support, I'd pull the plug. Sorry.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Don't know if I'm feeling the logo quite yet, but the striping pattern is unique. What was your rationale for putting the secondary number up front rather than on the sleeves? I've only seen one professional team do it: the WHA's Chicago Cougars during the early-mid 1970's. Did you use this as a precedent, or were you not originally aware of this?

QPR%20Sig.png

Without allowing the past to serve as prelude, I am just not liking this concept at all.  On the good side, the white striping helps the blue jersey.  But on the other side, the logo still doesn't work - not only do the shapes that comprise the head not work well together, but the feather effects on the sides still convey motion that would mean the two sides of the head collided with each other.  If a bird is in flight, the feathers wouldn't trail off the body in that fashion.  It looks unnatural.  And since it's the focus of your concept, it makes the concept look improper.

Now: the uniform number on the right chest?  No sleeve numbers?  One assymetrically placed number, where it doesn't belong?  Looks like a contrived attempt to go with a TATC vibe.  Major step backwards after a significant change for the better.

If this concept were on life support, I'd pull the plug.  Sorry.

I disagree. I still think there's alot of room for improvement, and I'm always happy to see a new original logo and design for an older team.

There simply isn't enough new original logos on this board. Granted, this logo isn't nearly as good as the one they have now, but it's original and that takes WAY more effort than the mounds of tiny tweaks you have to sift through to get to the REAL concepts on these boards.

Good job trying something original. Take the constructive criticism and ignore the immature bashing (here I'm refering to "your logos still suck" comments made earlier).

UPDATED 9-6 Constructive Criticism still appreciated...

624_capsjersey5.jpg

My thoughts as one of only 3 Capitas fans in the entire country:

1. The bird just doesn't look tough/mean enough to be a hockey logo

2. The gap between the sleeve stripes and the red jersey stripes looks bad

3. If you're going back to Red, White & Blue, please remember that RED was the Caps main color

4. There's no reference or mention of Capitals anyway or indeed any link.

5. The TV nubers on the left chest look awkward, and would look really crowded when there's a captains 'C' or 'A' there

6. Don't show have completed concepts, let's see the back of the jerseys with nameplates and numbers.

Archived