Anyone know of Wisconsin 'W' with tail?

iowahoo

Just got back from Madison today and enjoyed the place a lot! Had a lot of fun pregame at Lucky's and the first half was a fun one, but that 3rd quarter got us!

Anyway, reading the Wisconsin program on page 75 there is a blurb about Barry Alvarez hiring a firm to "update" the Wisconsin W logo when he took over in the early 90s (sound familiar Hayden Fry disciple??)

So the thing was designed by a Rayovac artist and here is the part that stuck me:

"[Alvarez] entertained 15-20 designs in 1990 before Rayovac artist Rick Suchanek developed the "Motion W," which originially included a tail at the back of the logo. Alvarez thought the tail was a bit much, but when it was removed, decided to go with it."

WisconsinBadgers4.GIF

Anyone have any images of this tailed W? Any guesses on what it looked like?

fade.gif

beats me...i'm thinkin either some underline, a la the Twins M, or baseball style. I know one thing, it woulda been hard to make the latter happen without it looking forced, like on Oklahoma's baseball jerseys.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

beats me...i'm thinkin either some underline, a la the Twins M, or baseball style. I know one thing, it woulda been hard to make the latter happen without it looking forced, like on Oklahoma's baseball jerseys.

I think that it was some underline myself. It would probably have a flare at the bottom left part of the underline for the tail. But, that is just my guess.

I've never heard of that. I like the logo the way it looked.

By the way, I don't care how bad our D is--Omar Jacobs is the real fluffing deal.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've never heard of that.  I like the logo the way it looked.

By the way, I don't care how bad our D is--Omar Jacobs is the real fluffing deal.

Brian Calhoun is the real deal too. On Wisconsin!

Bucky

Yeah, he made me forget about Anthony Davis in a hurry.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Maybe it was a cute little badger tail on the back of the W. Badgers have tails, right?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

No he's not; he can't run for more than 6 yards at a time!

Last time I checked, a man who has a career completion percentage of more than 65%, who has a career touchdown to interception ratio of 50:5, and who trounced a pretty decent Wisconsin defense for 458 yards and 5 touchdowns last week is the real deal despite not being a great runner. I'm pretty sure BG isn't getting better receiving recruits than Wisconsin. <_<

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Brian Calhoun is the real deal too. On Wisconsin!

Bucky

Yeah, he made me forget about Anthony Davis in a hurry.

who? :D oh, that guy who used to be in the trainer's room all the time, right? ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Just got back from Madison today and enjoyed the place a lot! Had a lot of fun pregame at Lucky's and the first half was a fun one, but that 3rd quarter got us!

Anyway, reading the Wisconsin program on page 75 there is a blurb about Barry Alvarez hiring a firm to "update" the Wisconsin W logo when he took over in the early 90s (sound familiar Hayden Fry disciple??)

So the thing was designed by a Rayovac artist and here is the part that stuck me:

"[Alvarez] entertained 15-20 designs in 1990 before Rayovac artist Rick Suchanek developed the "Motion W," which originially included a tail at the back of the logo. Alvarez thought the tail was a bit much, but when it was removed, decided to go with it."

WisconsinBadgers4.GIF

Anyone have any images of this tailed W? Any guesses on what it looked like?

Here is what I thought of when I read that:

WISC.jpg

Not that it makes a lot of sense...but then again, maybe that's why it was removed???

Archived