Your opinion of this new college logo?

Jungle Jim

Sorry for being a prick, but here goes...

Looks like the Phantom of the Opera with a Musketeer hat coming out of Aladdin's genie bottle. And he's smiling too much.

"Lindsay Wilson" is too small.

Shrinking/slanting "Blue Raiders" wordmark not preferred.

Extra line under sword unclear -- is that movement or the sword?

I'd go with more sword, less man, edgier wordmark.

Overall, it's just too inconsistent in too many aspects. Too many styles seem to be happening here. The block wordmark does not blend seamlessly with the curviness of the logo. The shapes used in the logo do not do a good enough job of defining the areas and telling me what everything is. It's kind of a blob effect at some places, while others are rendered pretty well. It seems to have too much detail in some areas, like the hand, then not enough in others, maybe a liitle more to tel me there is a feather on his hat. The only grey in the entire mark is the grey in the sword, which is rendered pretty badly in addition. What's with the negative space in the middle of his sleeve? Definitely potential, but lots of room for improvement. I also don't know that a Musketeer is the best model for a team called the Raiders, though I suppose it works on some levels. That's not the main issue here.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't think the block font works with the rest of the logo. While the "raider" in the logo is highly stylized the font is very plain.

The text also doesn't follow the curve/angle of the sword nor does it really flow with the curves under the "raider". It looks to me like the text is being forced to fit in open white space rather than flowing with the image of the "raider".

That sword doesn't look like it is in his hand either. It looks like an arm was drawn separately from the sword and just laid over the top of it. It reminds me of those static cling games I had when I was a kid where you could put a static cling GI Joe on a glossy battlefield photo and you'd have to lay static cling weapons over their hands or bodies.

I think the theme of the logo could work though if cleaned up a bit. I should know because I was in a graphic design class in college for about 2 weeks before I dropped it. That makes me an expert.

Well, I do have a few problems with this one:

1. The detailed raider doesn't go with the lack of detail on the sword. The sword looks like it's made of paper.

2. The wordmark looks more like old west while the raider is a muskateer.

3. A different facial expression might look better.

But it could always be improved.

Very good observations, one and all. I can't say I disagree with anything that's been said. Step back about five feet and none of this will be an issue, however, as the whole thing just turns into a big black and blue blob. This thing has been showing up on blue tee shirts, with near disastrous results.

:blink:

Thanks again for the comments. Anybody got more to add?

Jungle Jim, why so interested in our opinions on this one?

because its 100% absolutley not his :P

No, it's not mine...seriously. I don't have the artistic talent to design a logo, even one as bad as this one. Actually, the reason I was seeking well-educated opinions was because my school just adopted this logo a couple of weeks ago, and I really was disappointed by it. I didn't state my opinion up-front because I didn't want to prejudice anyone here, but I don't know why I didn't go ahead and state why I was interested. I thought perhaps some of the experts here would convince me that it's not that bad, but it appears my first impression was right.

It's the college's first-ever athletic logo, in 102 years of existence! Last year, the college played an exhibition basketball game against Louisville at Freedom Hall, and the only logo the college had to submit to be used for the on-screen graphics for the TV broadcast was the logo it uses for academic and promotional purposes. It's the dome on the on-campus chapel building (pictured below). After that game, plenty of jokes flew around about our being The Fighting Chapels, so the college decided it was time to adopt an athletic mascot and logo. Anyway, here's the logo that started the Fighting Chapels thing:

lindsey_wilson_logo.gif

The way the Raiding Musketeer is holding and swinging his sword is ultra-awkward. The sword is being swung with the concave face of the sword as the leading edge, which doesn't look right. Worse still, he looks like he is bent very far forward, almost like he tripped and is about to fall on his face. Finally, based on the grip of the sword, he is making the equivalent of a tennis one-handed backhand swing with his sword. Not a very powerful offensive maneuver.

The other stuff:

- the colors are rough. It's either 2 shades of blue plus black, which never looks good; or it's 3 shades of blue, which is at least 1 too many.

- the type is too irregularly sized, and you can't tell what the school's name is unless you're up close.

- the type makes an effort to conform to the logo's contours some of the time, and is aligned straight other times.

The concept could be great, but there's a lot that needs to be fixed with this.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived