Steelers screwed out of overtime in loss

WJMorris3

Just so I can give in some time error and anti Pats stuff...

In SB XXXVI, to go along with a couple other calls (including a non called obvious grounding on the Pats game winning drive), Vinetari's kick went through with at least one second left on the clock, but the refs allowed time to expire.

And minus the Music City Miracle and The Play, how many times has the game been won on a last-second kickoff return?

And about this whole 42 seconds thing, here's how I would regulate it: I'd simply take out the last 42 seconds of the game altogether, ending the game in a draw. I'd probably get lynched by both parties.

Not often, but I've never been one to give up at any point any the game. Anything is possible, and I was ticked that they didn't get their one chance. And then, the grounding was a horrific noncall that would have ended the Pats chances.

Oh well, it's over now, and while I haven't completely recovered, what's done is done. The Rams should have never given the Pats a chance in that game, but they stopped doing what had been successful all year, and what happened happened.

On another only kind of anti-Pats note...is anybody else tired of hearing Adam Vinitari called the "best clutch kicker ever?"

The guy simply does his job and has a bunch of chances in "clutch" situations. I can't recall (not saying they've NEVER happened) one of his so called "clutch" kicks being a kick that any other kicker shouldn't be EXPECTED to make. (Perhaps in the 2001 AFC championship game with the conditions as they were, but I still don't think the distance was much.)

I'll be my homer self and say I'll take Jeff Wilkins in the clutch any day over Vinitari. I remember the 2003 playoff game (might have taken place in 2004) vs. the Panthers that the Rams ended up losing in OT (thanks Martz and Bulger). I was at that game, and Jeff Wilkins was amazing. He had come through all day with FGs and good kickoffs. Then, we we absolutely needed an onside kick, the guy kicked a perfect one.......and then ran into the mess and recovered it. It was unbelievable. The only thing that prevented him from having perhaps the best kicking performance in the history of the NFL was a missed FG that would have won it in OT, but it was a 53 yarder that was right on line and fell JUST short.

Oh well, I ranted a bit and then went off topic...my bad.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
funny thing nobody mentioned that this game was played at Heinz Field and not Gillette...maybe if it had been in New England the Steelers would have had a slight case, but this conspiracy theory dies on that fact alone....

unless a Pats timekeeper knocked out the regular Steelers timekeeper with cloraform stole his clothes and impersonated him thus robbing the Steelers of their precious time

MMUAHHH HA HA HA....

at least that's what happens in spy movies.

EXCELLENT point.

Not that I really wish to throw fuel on the fire (since I've already stated my opinion), but how is this an excellent point? Is the home team in charge of the officiating nowadays? Even if you are suggesting that the people running the clock are hired locally (I believe they are), it really doesn't say anything that refutes the idea of a conspiracy theory.

funny thing nobody mentioned that this game was played at Heinz Field and not Gillette...maybe if it had been in New England the Steelers would have had a slight case, but this conspiracy theory dies on that fact alone....

unless a Pats timekeeper knocked out the regular Steelers timekeeper with cloraform stole his clothes and impersonated him thus robbing the Steelers of their precious time

MMUAHHH HA HA HA....

at least that's what happens in spy movies.

EXCELLENT point.

Not that I really wish to throw fuel on the fire (since I've already stated my opinion), but how is this an excellent point? Is the home team in charge of the officiating nowadays? Even if you are suggesting that the people running the clock are hired locally (I believe they are), it really doesn't say anything that refutes the idea of a conspiracy theory.

it is simply more likely that the home timekeeper wouldn't purposely screw the home team...in my opinion it was a simple mistake, there was confusion and hey that's life - it happens.

On another only kind of anti-Pats note...is anybody else tired of hearing Adam Vinitari called the "best clutch kicker ever?"

The guy simply does his job and has a bunch of chances in "clutch" situations. I can't recall (not saying they've NEVER happened) one of his so called "clutch" kicks being a kick that any other kicker shouldn't be EXPECTED to make. (Perhaps in the 2001 AFC championship game with the conditions as they were, but I still don't think the distance was much.)

The two kicks against the Raiders in the '01 divisional game in the snow, the '03 divisional game against the Titans he kicked a 40+ yarder when it was 0 degrees outside, and then the two Super Bowl winning kicks are pretty clutch, IMO.

The thing about the Super Bowl winners was they they were over 40 yards (easily missable), and in the Panthers game, he missed two kicks before kicking one to WIN THE GAME.

Plus, he's been winning games since '96...I don't have the stat in front of me, but I think he's only missed one kick in the closing moments of the game, ever (1999, in Kansas City when he hit the goalpost).

I can think of at least 15 kickers in the league right now that would have missed more than half of all those kicks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Fair enough, he's good in the clutch, but I still don't think it's fair to call him the best clutch kicker ever.

Perhaps they aren't all kicks you expect any kicker to make, but I can think of at least 5-10 who I would guess would make all of them.

The thing is Vinitari just has those oppurtunities (which means he plays on teams that just barely win, btw...I know winning is winning...)

You're right...he does have a lot of opportunities, but he nails it 99.9999999% of the time. When "clutch" comes up, people think of the one guy you want out there to make the kick, and I'll take Vinatieri.

And also, Vinatieri is greatly helped by the fact that Norwood missed in XXV. So a Super Bowl-winning kick is not that easy... and yet, Vinatieri has made two of them from long distances, and not just by the tiniest of margins. He drilled the two kicks, perfectly, right down the middle, no question about it. His "clutch" label comes from experience, and perfect delivery - who else can say they've done that?

It's like Jordan in basketball - would you rather have someone else besides Jordan to take the last shot??

Well, see Jordan is considered by a HUGE percentage of people to be the best basketball player in the history of the game. I don't think you'll find Vinitari with the same percent to be the best kicker in football.

Anyways, I'm not trying to say he's not good in the clutch, I just think it's unfair to a lot of really good kickers who don't get those chances to say that he's the best clutch kicker ever.

Well, see Jordan is considered by a HUGE percentage of people to be the best basketball player in the history of the game. I don't think you'll find Vinitari with the same percent to be the best kicker in football.

I don't care if he's the best basketball player ever...the amazing thing about Jordan is that he made those clutch shots time and time again, which adds to his legacy. He still could be the best basketball player ever, and never make a game winning shot.

My point remains...who would you rather have besides Jordan taking the last shot? Who would you rather have attempting a game winning FG?

I just think it's unfair to a lot of really good kickers who don't get those chances to say that he's the best clutch kicker ever.

That's the thing about sports, though, is that people will have chances and others will not. Fairness doesn't really come into play.

Archived