Steelers screwed out of overtime in loss

WJMorris3

Found this gem on ESPN.

Tom Brady, among the league's best in late-game drives, led the Patriots down field for the winning score against the Steelers in 1:21 on Sunday.

But could he have done it in 29 seconds?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Monday that an error was made by the clock operator and officiating crew in the Steelers-Patriots game that resuletd in 52 seconds being added to the game clock.

The NFL confirmed that at the error occured at the beginning of the fourth quarter. With 14:51 remaining, Steelers receiver Cedric Wilson ran a reverse and was held to no gain; the play ran the clock down to 13:59.

A false start was called on Steelers guard Kendall Simmons on the next play, but instead of resetting the clock to 13:59, the clock operator set it back to 14:51 -- the time before Wilson's running play began. No one noticed the error, including the officiating crew.

Mike Pereira, the NFL's senior director of officiating, spoke to coaches Bill Cowher and Bill Belichick about the error on Monday.

With those extra 52 seconds in place, the Steelers rallied to tie the game 20-20 on Ben Roethlisberger's 4-yard TD pass to Hines Ward with 1:21 remaining.

But that was enough time for Brady to lead the Patriots into position for Adam Vinateri, the league's best clutch kicker, to make a 43-yard field goal with one second remaining to beat the Steelers 23-20 at Heinz Field.

Now not that I'm a Steelers fan, I'm not, but how come it seems that the NFL makes mistakes to hurt the Steelers? I remember one year that the NFL had to apologize for officiating mistakes in three of their games, and if we remember, they were part of the infamous Thanksgiving game in '98, with the botched coin toss. Just seems weird, that's all I'm saying.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waaaaaaaaaah.

By that logic, the Steelers wouldn't have had time to tie the game, and they should've lost 20-13.

Gimme a break.

If you want to really assign blame, let's grill Bill Cowher for not spending his last timeout while the Pats are setting up for what was the winning FG. At least give your team a chance to take a shot down the field - which you should be able to do with :08 or so left on the clock.

Instead, by leaving the TO in his pocket, Cowher forced his team to hope for a desperation kickoff return against a good defensive unit.

*That* is what cost the Steelers the game.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I remember the days when Red Sox and Patriot fans were nice laid back individuals. They accepted their place, and all they could hope for was a Super Bowl/World Series victory. Then they won a super bowl. Everyone was happy for them. Still pretty forgiving considering their past history. Then they won another. Didn't really get bad until the Red Sox won the World Series. Then they turned into complete jerks. Its refeshing to see that winning doesn't change a team's fan base.

I remember the days when Red Sox and Patriot fans were nice laid back individuals. They accepted their place, and all they could hope for was a Super Bowl/World Series victory. Then they won a super bowl. Everyone was happy for them. Still pretty forgiving considering their past history. Then they won another. Didn't really get bad until the Red Sox won the World Series. Then they turned into complete jerks. Its refeshing to see that winning doesn't change a team's fan base.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing reading this enlightening bit of banter.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Cards fan? :therock:

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Waaah Boo-Hoo. Typical Steeler Fan. Did it ever occur to you that The Patriots are just a better team? If your Steelers are so great it should have never been close in the first place. You can't beat the Patriots. Deal with it.

GO BROWNS!

How many times does Will have to say he's not a Steelers fan?

In fact, I don't think a single Steelers fan has posted in this thread yet...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

I'll tell you why, because after getting p!opted on all these years, it's our turn to bask in the sun. Sports here in New England isn't just sport, it's religion. Everything sets us off, pisses us off. We're very touchy. We've always been like this, the only difference is that people pay more attention to what we say and how we act now.

Pat, mi amigo, if you don't like it: piss off.

:P

I remember the days when Red Sox and Patriot fans were nice laid back individuals.  They accepted their place, and all they could hope for was a Super Bowl/World Series victory.  Then they won a super bowl.  Everyone was happy for them.  Still pretty forgiving considering their past history.  Then they won another.  Didn't really get bad until the Red Sox won the World Series. Then they turned into complete jerks.  Its refeshing to see that winning doesn't change a team's fan base.

I'll tell you why, because after getting p!opted on all these years, it's our turn to bask in the sun. Sports here in New England isn't just sport, it's religion. Everything sets us off, pisses us off. We're very touchy. We've always been like this, the only difference is that people pay more attention to what we say and how we act now.

Pat, mi amigo, if you don't like it: piss off.

:P

AND, those who piss us off are the ones that haven't won anything for quite some time (minus New York fans in there)

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived