Notre Dame in Green

MJD802

I'm going to have to go against the crowd and say I hated these green jersies. They would look much better with white numbers, like some of the older ones had. I kept thinking I was watching Baylor or UAB.

...both of whom use white numbers on their green jerseys.

Yeah, you busted me good. :D

I meant that green/gold makes me think of Baylor or UAB. Notre Dame is dark blue and gold.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did all the Irish fans go??

i guess they aren't as prevalent as badwagon jumping USC fans.

speakin for myself, I'm right here ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Now, there's a difference between what I have seen Notre Dame do in the past to last Saturday. First off, these were a forest green with gold numbers. I haven't seen those before. In the Montana years, they were more of a Philadelphia Eagles 70s-era kelly green with bright yellow and white.

In several bowl games recently, you have seen Notre Dame wearing white jerseys with green numerals.

Other Irish sports teams have gone to odd colors. When Notre Dame's men's basketball team broke UCLA's winning streak, they wore yellow. In the 1992-93 season, when the Irish played Syracuse, Notre Dame wore neon green.

Last year, Notre Dame's men's hoopsters wore gold lame for a game or two. And so too was the case with the women's lacrosse team when it was in the Top 10 a couple of years ago.

Now, there's a difference between what I have seen Notre Dame do in the past to last Saturday. First off, these were a forest green with gold numbers. I haven't seen those before.

As I recall, the last few times they have worn green it has been dark green, although this year's have been the darkest yet. Prior to this USC game, the last time they wore green was two or three years ago when Ty Willingham's undefeated team was upset (yet again) by Boston College. That was a darker green as well. They wore it to help them get revenge for previous upsets to B.C. and - well - it didn't work :cursing:

LT

actually, it's been more like the aforementioned old Eagles green in the times ND wore green in the Holtz/Davie/Willingham era...but yeah, this time it was more like Packers green.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

It's pretty close, all right. But the numbers are reversed - Wolf's design was to keep the white numbers, and outline them in gold.

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT: there's a mockup of that design at the Green Bay Packers Uniform Database (link in my sig)

As a lifelong Packer fan, I'm actually almost sorry that he didn't pull the trigger.

It's pretty close, all right. But the numbers are reversed - Wolf's design was to keep the white numbers, and outline them in gold.

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT: there's a mockup of that design at the Green Bay Packers Uniform Database (link in my sig)

As a lifelong Packer fan, I'm actually almost sorry that he didn't pull the trigger.

That's a hell of a website you got there Gothamite...also like the mockup of the proosed green and gold combo you put there (which do look alot like the ND green jerseys from Saturday's game).

I'd love to have a site like yours dedicated to Patriots unis...that'd be something I'd definitely love to do someday.

It's pretty close, all right.  But the numbers are reversed - Wolf's design was to keep the white numbers, and outline them in gold.

That's a hell of a website you got there Gothamite...also like the mockup of the proosed green and gold combo you put there (which do look alot like the ND green jerseys from Saturday's game).

I'd love to have a site like yours dedicated to Patriots unis...that'd be something I'd definitely love to do someday.

Well, there's something close for the Pats - Football Uniforms Past and Present. It starts in 1959, so at least you can have representations of all the uniforms they wore....

Thanks for the kind words.

For all of you S.I. subscribers, there are three 2-page photo spreads in the front of this week's NBA preview issue of the USC-Notre Dame game. Good shots of the green jerseys as well as the SC roads.

Archived