Notre Dame in Green

MJD802

it wasn't the jerseys, it was South Central getting a lucky break :cursing:

ironic...as a Badger fan, my boys were the beneficiaries of several lucky breaks, and as an Irish fan my other boys are the victims of just one...damn I hate Leinart, even when he fluffs up he comes up smellin like roses :evil:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ironic...as a Badger fan, my boys were the beneficiaries of several lucky breaks, and as an Irish fan my other boys are the victims of just one...damn I hate Leinart, even when he fluffs up he comes up smellin like roses :evil:

roses really smell like boo-boo... :D

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It would be better in gold country if the badgers would have just recovered the onside, instead we got it on the 4 because it kicks and somehow stays in bounds.

and the punter...ugh. Take the safety moron.

And the fumble...ugh.

Typical Gophers. :cursing::cursing:

Anybody know why the Irish changed from green to blue in the first place however many years ago?

You have it backwards. Blue has been ND's traditional color since its founding.

Back in the 1920s during the Knute Rockne days, the Notre Dame varsity generally wore blue while the freshman squad wore green. But, on several occasions the varsity team did wear green ? simply for purposes of distinction when the Irish opponent also came out in blue. Games against Navy, for example, in the late 1920s featured green-clad Notre Dame teams, to avoid confusion with the Navy?s blue uniforms.

Rockne also used the green as a psychological ploy.

The Green Bay Packers adopted the navy for their original jerseys - Curly Lambeau played for Rockne in his freshman (and only) year at ND.

SportsCenter just ran an item on the ticker, reminding us that Notre Dame is 0-4 in its last four games in the green jerseys.

Personally, I think they looked very sharp. One of the few good alts out there.

can you even buy one these green replicas with the gold numbers? they're pretty sharp...

All I've seen on the official Notre Dame sites is the old Willingham-era green replicas with the interlocking "ND" on the sleeves. I don't think they ever made authentics of those available. I don't remember seeing the replicas available for sale until the following season, but they might have been available earlier.

can you even buy one these green replicas with the gold numbers? they're pretty sharp...

All I've seen on the official Notre Dame sites is the old Willingham-era green replicas with the interlocking "ND" on the sleeves. I don't think they ever made authentics of those available. I don't remember seeing the replicas available for sale until the following season, but they might have been available earlier.

The 02 green authentics were available at the ND bookstore in #3. Rumor has it these ones will be available as well. My buddy at ND Law is looking out for me and will let me know when they're available.

spikes.jpg

ND doesn't wear them every year...only on occassion. The oddest use of the Green Jersey was probably when they wore navy for the 1st half...then Gerry Faust had the team change into the green for the second half....

Are you sure that they weren't wearing the blue in the pre-game, and changed to green before the kickoff? That's how I remember it.

It's where I sit.

I'm going to have to go against the crowd and say I hated these green jersies. They would look much better with white numbers, like some of the older ones had. I kept thinking I was watching Baylor or UAB.

...both of whom use white numbers on their green jerseys.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Dang, next time ND needs to just break out the green for an easy homecoming game against some patsy team (assuming they play any). Otherwise, we may never see green again.

Regarding the history, I can add that during the Montana years, they wore green every week. It was a bright kelly green and even the road white jerseys had green numbers.

LT

Archived