Philadelphia Blue Jays

Korkie

2892.gif

I was looking at the Phillies page on the main site and it raised some questions. I know that the Phillies were nicknamed the Blue Jays, but I thought they never actually changed the name. It got me thinking a little. Did they actually offically change the name? If they did why did they change it back after only one or two years?

Also, does anyone else (esp. our Philly contingent) wished they kept the nickname like I do. It has a nice ring to it and isn't as abstract or goofy as Phillies which, despite tradition and all the Phils gear I own, is lame.

One more question, what do you think the Toronto Blue Jays name would have been if the Phils kept the moniker?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

According to the baseball encyclopedia they did officially change the name -- according to phillies fans they did not.

My guess is the name was just as popular as the islanders fisherman logo and met the same fate.

As for the current blue jays -- they were going to be named the Blues originally, so I'll go with that.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I have no particular dog in this fight. But since they never took the word "Philles" of the front of the jersey, I don't think one can really say that they officially changed the name.

I suppose we should inform the baseball hall of fame of their errors ;)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Apparently they had hoped that either that name would take place of Phillies and/or that the names would be interchangable (Like the Senators being called the Nationals). Niether idea took.

philly.png

According to the team, they did not officially change their name, and are the "oldest continuous one-city one-name" franchise in pro-sports.

I'm not old enough to argue this too much, but it seems to be the consensus in these parts. But then again it's the Phillies, so f-them anyway.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have no particular dog in this fight.  But since they never took the word "Philles" of the front of the jersey, I don't think one can really say that they officially changed the name.

I suppose we should inform the baseball hall of fame of their errors ;)

Where do they say that?

Sorry, I was responding to Chris, asking where the Hall of Fame said that "Blue Jays" was the official nickname.

I was referring to the official mlb baseball encyclopedia, which i assume the hof has a hand in

The Baseball Encyclopedia is no longer the official encyclopedia of MLB. Total Baseball became the official encyclopedia about seven or eight years ago. My copy is at work, so I don't know what they say about the Philly "Blue Jays".

Thanks for all the knowledge. :notworthy:

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I have a Phillies media guide handy, and if you're interested, here's what it says:

"In an effort to stimulate more interest in the club, Bob Carpenter Jr., the new president, announced a contest was being held to find a nickname for the Phillies. The name Blue Jays was chosen from among 623 suggestions.

Although it still maintained the official Phillies title, the club was known as Blue Jays for the 1944 and 1945 seasons. The new name was used heavily during that time, but then usage began to drop off in the following years. The Blue Jays name never appeared in the newspapers after 1947."

The Toronto baseball team should have been the MAPLE LEAFS. I present these reasons: First, the minor league baseball team had used the name going back to the nineteenth century. The hockey club didn't adopt the sobriquet until 1927.

Other cities adopted their longstanding minor league name upon entering the major leagues- Baltimore ORIOLES, (1954), Los Angeles ANGELS (1961) and Milwaukee BREWERS (1970).

I know about Jack Diminico's semi-pro Maple Leafs. The owners of the MLB club should have paid him a few bucks and purchased rights to the name. :flagcanada:

But then again it's the Phillies, so f-them anyway.

Agreed.

Hey :cursing:

It's one of those situations where you are allowed to yell at your kid, but if someone else does it, you have to beat them up. The Phillies are like my kid, in a weird sort of way.

Did they change their colors and/or uniforms when they were (unofficially) the Blue Jays?

1943 (pre bluejays)

nl_1943_philadelphia.gif

1944-45 (bluejays as unofficial nickname - note the sleeve patch)

nl_1944_philadelphia.gif

1946 (post bluejays)

nl_1946_philadelphia.gif

This is a good time to ask how come I can't see certain pictures? For instance, the last reply, with from what I'm guessing looks like 3 pictures pasted in. But on my computer it renders like a single . (period) without any picture. Yet some pictures I can see fine.

Thanks for your help.

Archived