Looking for a good argument?

CS85

If everyone in Texas is a die hard Cowboys fan, then why did Houston bother to ask the NFL for another team?  Why didn't they just become part of "Cowboy Nation", if the Cowboys are soooooo irresistable?  they are the Cowboys, they aren't the freaking "Borg".

Could it be that, with no teams in Los Angeles and no teams in Houston, the NFL had zero representation in 2 of the 5 largest media markets in the United States? Makes for a more compelling argument than putting a team in Jacksonville, at the very least...

I'm no Texan, but is there any kind of intrastate rivalry between Dallas and Houston? I know Pennsylvania is intractably split between Steelers (if you hear "Stillers", you're there) Nation and Eagles (if you hear "Iggles"... or "F&%* YOU!!", you're there... ah, home sweet home :D ) Nation. If one of those teams left the state, there's little chance that the fans of the departed team would switch over to a team on the other side of the state, just because they'd now be "Pennsylvania's Team". And the fans of the team that stayed put would just ignore them anyway, in all likelihood.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't the Alamodome a bit small, considering all the other NFL stadiums hold 70-90,000? Would the league want a team to move to the smallest stadium?

RickV hit it on the head: the NFL's problem with the AlamoDome isn't so much the maximum capacity of 65,500, but the fact that there are fewer than 50 luxury suites (38, if I'm not mistaken). Still, it would ultimately be Mr. Benson's decision as to whether or not he could make a go of it financially with so few suites.

As for the contention that "all the other NFL stadiums hold 70-90,000", nothing could be further from the truth. Of the NFL's 31 current stadiums (including, for this discussion, the Superdome), 16 are listed by their NFL tenants/owners as having football seating capacities below 70,000. Another 12 current stadiums are listed by their NFL tenants/owners as having football seating capacities of between 70,000 and 79,999. There is one stadium each in the 50,000 range, the 80,000 range and the 90,000 range.

Several of the newest NFL stadiums don't seat in excess of the 70,000 mark: Cincinnati (65,535), Detroit (65,000), New England (68,756), Philadelphia (68,532), Pittsburgh (64,450), Tampa Bay (66,000) and Tennessee (68,798) all fall short of the 70,000-seat threshold. What's more, next season Arizona moves from a stadium with a capacity of 73,234 to a new facility seating just 63,320. Indianapolis' new home is listed as seating 63,000. The talk in Minnesota has been of a 68,000-seat facility.

In other words, the AlamoDome wouldn't be absolutely dwarfed by other NFL facilities, nor would it be the league's smallest stadium.

If Mr. Benson decides to move his team to San Antonio, he will do it for a number of reasons:

* He views the AlamoDome - even with its small inventory of luxury suites - as being a superior facility to the hurricane-damaged Superdome... a facility he felt was antiquated before the storm.

* He views the San Antonio Metro Area as being a growth market when compared to the New Orleans Metro Area. Even before Hurricane Katrina struck and threatened to significantly reduce it's long-term population base, the New Orleans Metro Area was the 40th-ranked in population in the country, compared to the San Antonio Metro Area which was ranked 30th. More importantly, the San Antonio Metro Area was the 13th-fastest growing (8.3% growth), while the New Orleans Metro Area was the 50th-fastest growing (0.2%). And that doesn't even take into account the explosive growth of the nearby Austin-Round Rock, TX Metro Area, which is the 4th-fastest growing Metro (13% growth) in the nation.

* He views the San Antonio Metro Area as providing a greater opportunity to establish relationships with corporate partners. San Antonio is home to the headquarters of five Fortune 500 companies - SBC Communications (#33), Valero Energy Corporation (#34), United Services Automobile Association (#185), Clear Channel Communications (#229) and Tesoro Petroleum (#237). Meanwhile, New Orleans is home to the headquarters of just one Fortune 500 company - Entergy (#217). Again, the nearby Austin-Round Rock Metro Area bolsters the Central Texas region's fortunes in this category, with Dell (#31) and Temple-Inland (#372) cracking the Fortune 500.

In short, Mr. Benson has probably been eyeing this move for quite some time. While it's unfortunate that Hurricane Katrina's wrath may have expedited his time-table for such a move, there is every reason to believe that it had a significant chance of occurring in no matter what. It is no doubt painful to those New Orleans residents who will return to the area, but it is also part-and-parcel of the modern business of sports.

How about NO NFL teams in NYC? THe Giants Moved to East Rutherford in 1976, and The Jets in 1984. Since these teams play at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, then the teams are legally obligated to change the their names from the New York Jets and New York Giants to the New Jersey Gaints and The New Jersey Jets respectively. IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Isn't the Alamodome a bit small, considering all the other NFL stadiums hold 70-90,000? Would the league want a team to move to the smallest stadium?

RickV hit it on the head: the NFL's problem with the AlamoDome isn't so much the maximum capacity of 65,500, but the fact that there are fewer than 50 luxury suites (38, if I'm not mistaken). Still, it would ultimately be Mr. Benson's decision as to whether or not he could make a go of it financially with so few suites.

As for the contention that "all the other NFL stadiums hold 70-90,000", nothing could be further from the truth. Of the NFL's 31 current stadiums (including, for this discussion, the Superdome), 16 are listed by their NFL tenants/owners as having football seating capacities below 70,000. Another 12 current stadiums are listed by their NFL tenants/owners as having football seating capacities of between 70,000 and 79,999. There is one stadium each in the 50,000 range, the 80,000 range and the 90,000 range.

Several of the newest NFL stadiums don't seat in excess of the 70,000 mark: Cincinnati (65,535), Detroit (65,000), New England (68,756), Philadelphia (68,532), Pittsburgh (64,450), Tampa Bay (66,000) and Tennessee (68,798) all fall short of the 70,000-seat threshold. What's more, next season Arizona moves from a stadium with a capacity of 73,234 to a new facility seating just 63,320. Indianapolis' new home is listed as seating 63,000. The talk in Minnesota has been of a 68,000-seat facility.

In other words, the AlamoDome wouldn't be absolutely dwarfed by other NFL facilities, nor would it be the league's smallest stadium.

The Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis holds only 66,000 for Rams games.

How about NO NFL teams in NYC? THe Giants Moved to East Rutherford in 1976, and The Jets in 1984. Since these teams play at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, then the teams are legally obligated to change the their names from the New York Jets and New York Giants to the New Jersey Gaints and The New Jersey Jets respectively. IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!

:blink: . I'm waiting for the punchline...

The NY/NJ JetroGiants play well within the NYC metropolitan area and media market. Giants Stadium is within 8 miles of the NYC boundaries.

That's like saying Dallas and Buffalo don't have teams.

How are the Giants and Jets legally obligated to do anything? If they were, wouldn't they have done it decades ago? <_<

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Saints vs Buffalo - Attendance 59,000

Saints vs Atlanta - Attendance 65,500 - Sell out

Neither one of those teams has Dallas anywhere in its name.

so, does this mean the nfl should jump to put teams in mexico city...or tokyo. san antonio is a joke..why did they build the alamo dome? any reason? whats it for? and why a dome in texas? i cant even understand a retractable roof in SA..its a one pro sport town at best, in a league where there are a lot of bush league towns (read: sacramento, orlando, memphis)

Saints vs Buffalo - Attendance 59,000

Saints vs Atlanta - Attendance 65,500 - Sell out

Neither one of those teams has Dallas anywhere in its name.

so, does this mean the nfl should jump to put teams in mexico city...or tokyo. san antonio is a joke..why did they build the alamo dome? any reason? whats it for? and why a dome in texas? i cant even understand a retractable roof in SA..its a one pro sport town at best, in a league where there are a lot of bush league towns (read: sacramento, orlando, memphis)

Hey, dont think that putting a team in Mexico City or Tokyo is out of the question. I'm thinking Mr. Tagliabue would seriously like to put a team in Mexico City at least. And what do you know about San Antonio to call it a joke? Have you ever lived here? Spent any extended period of time here? The Alamodome was built specifically to try and lure the NFL here during the last round of expansion, when Jacksonville and Charlotte were awarded franchises instead. And are you asking if the Alamodome is a retractable roof? If you are, it isnt, its a fixed roof stadium.

metslogo_215.gif

Benson is just using this as an excuse though he does not have to he has an out of his lease with the city coming up and he began saying last year if they didn't build him a new stadium he would move.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Alamodome was built specifically to try and lure the NFL here during the last round of expansion, when Jacksonville and Charlotte were awarded franchises instead. And are you asking if the Alamodome is a retractable roof? If you are, it isnt, its a fixed roof stadium.

Actually, I have been to San Antonio, and enjoyed it. A little hot for my liking, but whatever.

I think the proper thing to do is to return the Saints to New Orleans, as they would have been there had the hurricane not come through - at least for the time being. Who knows what Benson would've done had disaster not struck? But while I do think the Saints should come back to New Orleans, Rick's last point does raise the question: WTF was the NFL thinking putting a team in Jacksonville in the first place? Anyone who watched the Super Bowl realized that the city may fall within Florida's borders, but it ain't Miami or the Keys, or Tampa Bay. San Antonio is clearly a better choice than Jacksonville; and for those making fun of the NBA for setting up shops in 1-horse towns like San Antonio, Memphis, Sacramento, Salt Lake City and Portland... what about Jacksonville? Even the NBA won't go there, so what does that say?

2007nleastchamps.png

The Alamodome hosted a Saints "home" game and even if the stadium was not sold out, the fans in attendance supported the team wholeheartedly.

I have a hunch that the Saints could be headed for San Antone. Imagine the team as the San Antonio Saints. Kinda has a nice ring to it. The Los Angeles Saints? Uh, probably not.

LEONARD WEIRICH

SILVER SPRING MD

FAN OF THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS SINCE 2000

FAN OF THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SINCE 2001

FAN OF THE SEATTLE MARINERS SINCE 1995

FAN OF THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS SINCE 2005

FAN OF THE WASHINGTON CAPITALS SINCE 1974

FAN OF THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS SINCE 1979

FAN OF THE TAMPA BAY STORM SINCE 1991

If all you were ever offered for a meal was fried chicken, you'd think it was the best thing in the world, if Steak then became available, why wouldnt you switch to thinking steak was the best.

The New Orleans Saints are hardly the "steak" of the league, my friend.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If all you were ever offered for a meal was fried chicken, you'd think it was the best thing in the world, if Steak then became available, why wouldnt you switch to thinking steak was the best.

The New Orleans Saints are hardly the "steak" of the league, my friend.

Just an analogy, my friend, not to be meant literally or even figuratively.

metslogo_215.gif

1 - The Saints aren't going to be in San Antonio long - I love the city, been there many times; great community, but I'd hate to see the "Big Easy" loss their team.

Time will tell. If they go anywhere, please, back to Na'Luns.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Just received this e-mail:

AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

An open letter to our fans Louisiana and the Gulf Coast, written by Saints Owner Tom Benson. This letter appeared in a full-page ad in Wednesday's editions of the New Orleans Times-Picayune and the Baton Rouge Advocate and will appear again in Friday's editions.

OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

TOM BENSON WANTS TO RETURN TO NEW ORLEANS.

I WAS BORN IN NEW ORLEANS, WENT TO SCHOOL AT OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA NEAR ST. ROCH PARK IN THE 8TH WARD, ATTENDED ST. ALOYISOUS HIGH SCHOOL, AND ATTENDED LOYOLA UNIVERSITY. NEW ORLEANS IS MY HOMETOWN.

IT IS MY INTENTION AND GOAL THAT MY GRANDCHILDREN WILL CARRY ON MY LEGACY OF OWNING THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS. BOTH ARE CURRENTLY AND ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN THE OPERATION OF THE SAINTS. RITA BENSON LEBLANC IS A KEY EXECUTIVE AND HER BROTHER IS A SAINTS ADVISOR AND BOTH ACT AS DIRECTORS.

THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST. HOWEVER, IN SPITE OF THE DIFFICULTIES, I HAVE MADE AND WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN CONTRIBUTIONS ANNUALLY TO NEW ORLEANS CHARITIES, WHICH IN MY OPINION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER FOR OUR COMMUNITY.

ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS I HAVE REFUSED LUCRATIVE OFFERS TO SELL THE SAINTS IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THEIR PRESENCE IN NEW ORLEANS.

HOWEVER, WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO MOVE OUR OPERATIONS SINCE FEDERAL AND STATE AUTHORITIES TOOK OVER OUR TRAINING FACILITY IN NEW ORLEANS WITHOUT NOTICE OR PERMISSION. THE ONLY OTHER CHOICE WAS TO FORGO THE SEASON.

After reviewing the reports about our team and the abundance of wide-sweeping negative media commentary and columns, I offer this:

NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE TEAM, because no decision has been made about the future of New Orleans. Our city endured one of the worst catastrophes in history and I clearly stated in the days following that it is our desire to be at the table during the rebuilding and revitalization of our city. However, there are many factors that will affect the future of our team, the same factors that will affect the future of many other companies when faced with the decision to return to the city of New Orleans. No one within our organization has offered or made any official comment about what our long term plans are, since the factors that will determine our situation are still unresolved. That is why we have not stated anything publicly, because it is still too early to determine. But my desire is to return to New Orleans.

It must be stated that we and the NFL have made no decision relative to the future of the Saints. It is remarkable that we have been able to continue operating under the circumstances, a testament to our staff and the assistance we have received in San Antonio as well as Baton Rouge.

San Antonio is a city in which I have deep relationships and I am grateful to them for allowing us access to their facilities. We have been displaced, but yet we forge on to represent New Orleans and the region with pride and determination. We have retained nearly 97% of our workforce, many of whom still remain separated from their families.

Our training facilities in New Orleans were utilized by the government for relief efforts. The Superdome has suffered damage that may keep it offline indefinitely. Operating an NFL team requires months of planning and because of that, we need to look at all of the options that are available to our team in the immediate future.

It must be made very clear that the future of our team in New Orleans will be determined by factors that are yet unresolved, such as, economics and facilities, the very issues that we have struggled with prior to Hurricane Katrina.

I am aware that the many comments and speculation coming out of Texas and other places only inflame the emotions of our fans, and rhetoric of the media in New Orleans. Many cities desire an NFL franchise and the politicians of these cities are going to continue to voice this desire. Our own Mayor did a similar thing in leading the campaign to bring the Hornets to New Orleans from Charlotte. Yet, when the subject matter of the Saints arises, comments from our current Mayor are made without a single phone call being placed to our team to check on our plans or to get the facts. If the Saints and Tom Benson were as important to the city as the Mayor of our city has claimed in the recent past, why such harsh comments, when a simple phone call could have saved him from embarrassment.

I take the responsibility of owning this team seriously. I understand that of all the businesses that may never return to New Orleans, the thought and discussion of the Saints not returning to New Orleans is a subject that will garner the most intense scrutiny of the public and media. A direct result of this scrutiny has been the many negative editorials and columns written or said about me. These are from some media people who have never run a company and have no clear understanding of how to run a successful business. In fact, many New Orleans businesses have either moved, permanently closed, or are dramatically downsizing, because of this tragic event. We are one company from New Orleans that has poured its heart and soul into staying afloat and on track. We wish nothing but the best and the speediest recovery for the many businesses and families affected by the hurricane.

In retrospect, I can say that I am very proud of our organization and how we have responded. We did not fold, we did not suspend, we did not downsize, we have continued to operate and represent the city and fans of New Orleans. When the time is right and the factors that are yet unresolved, are resolved, a decision on the future of the team will be made. Until then, we should all work together to find answers to the many questions that remain unanswered in making New Orleans a better city than it was prior to this catastrophe.

Sincerely,

Tom Benson

Owner-New Orleans Saints

We all should have a better idea after this weekends game. Benson, Tags and Blanco (LA Gov) are going to meet to discuss the teams future. Eventhough the city will have a smaller population, most of the season ticket holders have returned or plan on returning. The Saints also draw from the region (MS, AL, Western FL). Even with Katrina, there won't be a lack of fans that go to the games.

I'd be willing to bet the Saints never play another game in New Orleans.

This team became Los Angeles' team the moment Katrina slammed into New Orleans...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

An open letter to our fans Louisiana and the Gulf Coast, written by Saints Owner Tom Benson. This letter appeared in a full-page ad in Wednesday's editions of the New Orleans Times-Picayune and the Baton Rouge Advocate and will appear again in Friday's editions.

OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

TOM BENSON WANTS TO RETURN TO NEW ORLEANS.

I WAS BORN IN NEW ORLEANS, WENT TO SCHOOL AT OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA NEAR ST. ROCH PARK IN THE 8TH WARD, ATTENDED ST. ALOYISOUS HIGH SCHOOL, AND ATTENDED LOYOLA UNIVERSITY. NEW ORLEANS IS MY HOMETOWN.

IT IS MY INTENTION AND GOAL THAT MY GRANDCHILDREN WILL CARRY ON MY LEGACY OF OWNING THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS. BOTH ARE CURRENTLY AND ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN THE OPERATION OF THE SAINTS. RITA BENSON LEBLANC IS A KEY EXECUTIVE AND HER BROTHER IS A SAINTS ADVISOR AND BOTH ACT AS DIRECTORS.

THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST. HOWEVER, IN SPITE OF THE DIFFICULTIES, I HAVE MADE AND WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN CONTRIBUTIONS ANNUALLY TO NEW ORLEANS CHARITIES, WHICH IN MY OPINION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER FOR OUR COMMUNITY.

ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS I HAVE REFUSED LUCRATIVE OFFERS TO SELL THE SAINTS IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THEIR PRESENCE IN NEW ORLEANS.

HOWEVER, WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO MOVE OUR OPERATIONS SINCE FEDERAL AND STATE AUTHORITIES TOOK OVER OUR TRAINING FACILITY IN NEW ORLEANS WITHOUT NOTICE OR PERMISSION. THE ONLY OTHER CHOICE WAS TO FORGO THE SEASON.

After reviewing the reports about our team and the abundance of wide-sweeping negative media commentary and columns, I offer this:

NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE TEAM, because no decision has been made about the future of New Orleans. Our city endured one of the worst catastrophes in history and I clearly stated in the days following that it is our desire to be at the table during the rebuilding and revitalization of our city. However, there are many factors that will affect the future of our team, the same factors that will affect the future of many other companies when faced with the decision to return to the city of New Orleans. No one within our organization has offered or made any official comment about what our long term plans are, since the factors that will determine our situation are still unresolved. That is why we have not stated anything publicly, because it is still too early to determine. But my desire is to return to New Orleans.

It must be stated that we and the NFL have made no decision relative to the future of the Saints. It is remarkable that we have been able to continue operating under the circumstances, a testament to our staff and the assistance we have received in San Antonio as well as Baton Rouge.

San Antonio is a city in which I have deep relationships and I am grateful to them for allowing us access to their facilities. We have been displaced, but yet we forge on to represent New Orleans and the region with pride and determination. We have retained nearly 97% of our workforce, many of whom still remain separated from their families.

Our training facilities in New Orleans were utilized by the government for relief efforts. The Superdome has suffered damage that may keep it offline indefinitely. Operating an NFL team requires months of planning and because of that, we need to look at all of the options that are available to our team in the immediate future.

It must be made very clear that the future of our team in New Orleans will be determined by factors that are yet unresolved, such as, economics and facilities, the very issues that we have struggled with prior to Hurricane Katrina.

I am aware that the many comments and speculation coming out of Texas and other places only inflame the emotions of our fans, and rhetoric of the media in New Orleans. Many cities desire an NFL franchise and the politicians of these cities are going to continue to voice this desire. Our own Mayor did a similar thing in leading the campaign to bring the Hornets to New Orleans from Charlotte. Yet, when the subject matter of the Saints arises, comments from our current Mayor are made without a single phone call being placed to our team to check on our plans or to get the facts. If the Saints and Tom Benson were as important to the city as the Mayor of our city has claimed in the recent past, why such harsh comments, when a simple phone call could have saved him from embarrassment.

I take the responsibility of owning this team seriously. I understand that of all the businesses that may never return to New Orleans, the thought and discussion of the Saints not returning to New Orleans is a subject that will garner the most intense scrutiny of the public and media. A direct result of this scrutiny has been the many negative editorials and columns written or said about me. These are from some media people who have never run a company and have no clear understanding of how to run a successful business. In fact, many New Orleans businesses have either moved, permanently closed, or are dramatically downsizing, because of this tragic event. We are one company from New Orleans that has poured its heart and soul into staying afloat and on track. We wish nothing but the best and the speediest recovery for the many businesses and families affected by the hurricane.

In retrospect, I can say that I am very proud of our organization and how we have responded. We did not fold, we did not suspend, we did not downsize, we have continued to operate and represent the city and fans of New Orleans. When the time is right and the factors that are yet unresolved, are resolved, a decision on the future of the team will be made. Until then, we should all work together to find answers to the many questions that remain unanswered in making New Orleans a better city than it was prior to this catastrophe.

Sincerely,

Tom Benson

Owner-New Orleans Saints

For those of you unwilling to take the time to read this whole thing, I have boiled it down for you . . .

"Dear New Orleans. I love you guys, really, I mean it. That being said I'm moving the Saints, but don't blame me, blame the city and state officials who wouldn't kiss my ring. Therefore, please continue to patronize the businesses I will continue to operate in your city. Thanks."

Archived