Looking for a good argument?

CS85

AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

An open letter to our fans Louisiana and the Gulf Coast, written by Saints Owner Tom Benson. This letter appeared in a full-page ad in Wednesday's editions of the New Orleans Times-Picayune and the Baton Rouge Advocate and will appear again in Friday's editions.

OPEN LETTER TO OUR FANS IN LOUISIANA AND THE GULF COAST

TOM BENSON WANTS TO RETURN TO NEW ORLEANS.

I WAS BORN IN NEW ORLEANS, WENT TO SCHOOL AT OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA NEAR ST. ROCH PARK IN THE 8TH WARD, ATTENDED ST. ALOYISOUS HIGH SCHOOL, AND ATTENDED LOYOLA UNIVERSITY. NEW ORLEANS IS MY HOMETOWN.

IT IS MY INTENTION AND GOAL THAT MY GRANDCHILDREN WILL CARRY ON MY LEGACY OF OWNING THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS. BOTH ARE CURRENTLY AND ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN THE OPERATION OF THE SAINTS. RITA BENSON LEBLANC IS A KEY EXECUTIVE AND HER BROTHER IS A SAINTS ADVISOR AND BOTH ACT AS DIRECTORS.

THE PAST FEW WEEKS HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST. HOWEVER, IN SPITE OF THE DIFFICULTIES, I HAVE MADE AND WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN CONTRIBUTIONS ANNUALLY TO NEW ORLEANS CHARITIES, WHICH IN MY OPINION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER FOR OUR COMMUNITY.

ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS I HAVE REFUSED LUCRATIVE OFFERS TO SELL THE SAINTS IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THEIR PRESENCE IN NEW ORLEANS.

HOWEVER, WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO MOVE OUR OPERATIONS SINCE FEDERAL AND STATE AUTHORITIES TOOK OVER OUR TRAINING FACILITY IN NEW ORLEANS WITHOUT NOTICE OR PERMISSION. THE ONLY OTHER CHOICE WAS TO FORGO THE SEASON.

After reviewing the reports about our team and the abundance of wide-sweeping negative media commentary and columns, I offer this:

NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE TEAM, because no decision has been made about the future of New Orleans. Our city endured one of the worst catastrophes in history and I clearly stated in the days following that it is our desire to be at the table during the rebuilding and revitalization of our city. However, there are many factors that will affect the future of our team, the same factors that will affect the future of many other companies when faced with the decision to return to the city of New Orleans. No one within our organization has offered or made any official comment about what our long term plans are, since the factors that will determine our situation are still unresolved. That is why we have not stated anything publicly, because it is still too early to determine. But my desire is to return to New Orleans.

It must be stated that we and the NFL have made no decision relative to the future of the Saints. It is remarkable that we have been able to continue operating under the circumstances, a testament to our staff and the assistance we have received in San Antonio as well as Baton Rouge.

San Antonio is a city in which I have deep relationships and I am grateful to them for allowing us access to their facilities. We have been displaced, but yet we forge on to represent New Orleans and the region with pride and determination. We have retained nearly 97% of our workforce, many of whom still remain separated from their families.

Our training facilities in New Orleans were utilized by the government for relief efforts. The Superdome has suffered damage that may keep it offline indefinitely. Operating an NFL team requires months of planning and because of that, we need to look at all of the options that are available to our team in the immediate future.

It must be made very clear that the future of our team in New Orleans will be determined by factors that are yet unresolved, such as, economics and facilities, the very issues that we have struggled with prior to Hurricane Katrina.

I am aware that the many comments and speculation coming out of Texas and other places only inflame the emotions of our fans, and rhetoric of the media in New Orleans. Many cities desire an NFL franchise and the politicians of these cities are going to continue to voice this desire. Our own Mayor did a similar thing in leading the campaign to bring the Hornets to New Orleans from Charlotte. Yet, when the subject matter of the Saints arises, comments from our current Mayor are made without a single phone call being placed to our team to check on our plans or to get the facts. If the Saints and Tom Benson were as important to the city as the Mayor of our city has claimed in the recent past, why such harsh comments, when a simple phone call could have saved him from embarrassment.

I take the responsibility of owning this team seriously. I understand that of all the businesses that may never return to New Orleans, the thought and discussion of the Saints not returning to New Orleans is a subject that will garner the most intense scrutiny of the public and media. A direct result of this scrutiny has been the many negative editorials and columns written or said about me. These are from some media people who have never run a company and have no clear understanding of how to run a successful business. In fact, many New Orleans businesses have either moved, permanently closed, or are dramatically downsizing, because of this tragic event. We are one company from New Orleans that has poured its heart and soul into staying afloat and on track. We wish nothing but the best and the speediest recovery for the many businesses and families affected by the hurricane.

In retrospect, I can say that I am very proud of our organization and how we have responded. We did not fold, we did not suspend, we did not downsize, we have continued to operate and represent the city and fans of New Orleans. When the time is right and the factors that are yet unresolved, are resolved, a decision on the future of the team will be made. Until then, we should all work together to find answers to the many questions that remain unanswered in making New Orleans a better city than it was prior to this catastrophe.

Sincerely,

Tom Benson

Owner-New Orleans Saints

For those of you unwilling to take the time to read this whole thing, I have boiled it down for you . . .

"Dear New Orleans. I love you guys, really, I mean it. That being said I'm moving the Saints, but don't blame me, blame the city and state officials who wouldn't kiss my ring. Therefore, please continue to patronize the businesses I will continue to operate in your city. Thanks."

LOL

metslogo_215.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I read on profootballtalk.com that the leagues plan is to have the Saints move to SA for next year and then in 07 to LA . Meanwhile the Jags owner seems to be making a play for LA and if not maybe they are the team to relocate to SA. Maybe they could be the team to move back to NO. My question is where does this leave the Chargers? They will definetly be losing the leverage they had before with the city of SD.

Why does the NFL has such a hard-on for Los Angeles? They couldn't keep TWO franchises in that city. Why bother giving them another chance with the Saints?

I say they should go to San Antonio. Tom Benson is from there and they've been based in San Antonio since Katrina hit the city. Also, it won't screw up the divisional format since San Antonio would stay in the NFC South with Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Atlanta.

NFL COULD MOVE SAINTS TO L.A.

According to The Washington Post, the National Football League will consider moving the Saints from La. to L.A. if New Orleans cannot recover from the damage wrought by Hurricane Katrina.

Citing "three sources familiar with the league's deliberations on the matter," The Post says that the Saints would spend a year in San Antonio before sliding farther West for a permanent locale in the nation's No. 2 market, which the Rams and Raiders both abandoned after the 1995 season.

The revelation comes a day after Saints owner Tom Benson purchased a full-page ad in The New Orleans Times-Picayune containing a too-little, too-late effort to put the locals' minds at ease as to the future of the franchise.

Is it a coincidence that Benson's open letter (which undoubtedly was written and/or revised heavily by the league office) was released as the Saints struggle to sell tickets to the cavernous Tiger Stadium on the campus of Louisiana State University? We think not.

And we're not saying that Benson should be forced to stay in New Orleans if there is no economic viability in doing so. But like some of our higher-profile national politicians, who make decisions at a visceral level and then spend their time looking for ways to embrace facts that support them and ignore evidence that doesn't, Benson (as the widespread rumors and reports go) jumped on the notion of using Katrina as a ticket out of town before any proof as to whether post-disaster New Orleans would be able to support a pro football team could be gathered.

As a result, Benson has latched onto spurious arguments regarding matters such as the allegedly poor condition of the team's training facilities. According to The San Antonio Express-News, Louisiana officials have declared the building to be "in very good condition."

(Look for Benson to now try to leak to the media that the wife of the guy who said that is a covert operative in the CIA.)

The NFL, obviously far more skilled than Benson in matters of public relations, realizes that it's important to say all of the right things until a prudent decision can be made, even if it seems inevitable that the decision will be that the team cannot remain in New Orleans. This way, the league has a full opportunity to plan the best way to break the news to the football world, and the league can come up with ideas for placating the locals -- such as by guaranteeing that the Super Bowl will be played in New Orleans once every five years.

For now, the league apparently has persuaded Benson (again) to pretend that he hasn't already made a decision on the matter, while the league takes its time to reach what very well could be the exact same conclusion.

IF NOT THE SAINTS, THEN THE JAGS?

At a time when the NFL is eyeing the Saints for the vacuously vacant L.A. market, it appears that there's another candidate to load up the truck and move to Beverleeee.

According to The Florida Times-Union, the Jaguars could be leaving Jacksonville.

On Tuesday, the city notified the team that it would not be permitted to operate its electronic signage at Saturday's Georgia-Florida game. In response, Jags vice president Bill Prescott says that the move could force, well, a move.

"Based on their actions today, yes [the Jaguars will be forced to move],'' Prescott said. "Based on the actions I've seen over the last week, yes. Obviously, if they're taking revenues away, it'll happen sooner rather than later. . . .

"If you're cutting off our revenue source, any reasonable person would sit here and say, 'What are they trying to tell you?'" Prescott said. "They're trying to tell you to move.''

So after 10 years of no team in Los Angeles, we could now have a situation in which the Saints and the Jags are jostling for the spot.

And we suspect that some Saints fans will greet the news by clamoring for the Jags to move to New Orleans and become the new Saints.

Stay tuned.

• 1 year later...

Just an update for the "Saints are done in New Orleans" crowd:

For 2007, all Superdome luxury suites are sold out. The Superdome is again sold out for the year and the current waiting list for season tickets stands at 20,000.

The same rule applies to every sports team everywhere: put a quality product on the field/court/diamond/etc. and you will be successful, even in a place with all the legitimate issues New Orleans faces at the moment. It's really that simple. With that said, even the most passionate Saints fan could never had imagined their success in rebuilding the team from the ground up. What a great surprise.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

For 2007, all Superdome luxury suites are sold out. The Superdome is again sold out for the year and the current waiting list for season tickets stands at 20,000.

The same rule applies to every sports team everywhere: put a quality product on the field/court/diamond/etc. and you will be successful, even in a place with all the legitimate issues New Orleans faces at the moment. It's really that simple. With that said, even the most passionate Saints fan could never had imagined their success in rebuilding the team from the ground up. What a great surprise.

Tickets are great, but the NFL gets the vast majority of its money from TV rights and advertising revenue. Time will tell if the NFL and its corporate partners think the rebuilt New Orleans is pulling its fair share when it comes to the revenue pool. As much as L.A. sucks when it comes to die-hard pro football fans, it provides a few million more eyeballs glued to the tube.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Tickets are great, but the NFL gets the vast majority of its money from TV rights and advertising revenue. Time will tell if the NFL and its corporate partners think the rebuilt New Orleans is pulling its fair share when it comes to the revenue pool. As much as L.A. sucks when it comes to die-hard pro football fans, it provides a few million more eyeballs glued to the tube.

By that logic, the Green Bay Packers also aren't pulling their weight when it comes to revenue. Pack 'em up and move them to LA too.

Let's just have every freakin' team in Southern Cal or the metro NY area.

The same could have been said about the Penguins, and yet they almost moved...why? They needed a new stadium. Ultimately that will determine the Saints' future in New Orleans.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow. First, some of the people on this board said the Saints had not been supported in New Orleans for years before Katrina. Answer: that's complete and utter crap.

Then they said that post-Katrina New Orleans could never support an NFL team. Answer: the Superdome was sold out with season tickets for the first time ever.

Then they said that tickets and fan support were nice but the real test was the high-dollar revenue from corporate suites. Answer: they've sold those out too.

So now the litmus test is TV revenue?

Talk about a moving target. Forgive me if I simply shake my head and wonder what will convince you or anyone else that the Saints are viable in New Orleans. <_<

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Let's just have every freakin' team in Southern Cal or the metro NY area.

Eh, it's been done.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ticket sales mean support obviously... just ask the NHL!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived