College Football Rivalry Wager Announcement!

amare32

Too bad theres no Navy fans for the upcoming Army/Navy next month.

I like Navy. Although I don't hate Army.

Army/Navy is one of those weird rivalrys where you don't completely hate the other team.

I can say I don't hate Navy. Maybe its better to say I hate Navy football when they play Army. Otherwise, in bowl games and all, you gotta root for them.

Air Force on the other hand....thats a completely different story.

And I guess I could do the FSU one, being I'm an FSU fan. (Gotta be a fan of a decent team when you like Army!)

Exactly. Except for the FSU part, you're dead on. :P It's especially compounded by the fact that my father went to Navy and a good bud of mine is currently in the Army football program.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bet is accepted!!! GO SPARKY GO DEVILS

:notworthy: ...GO DEVILS!!! Oh and Amare, if you want another person in this bet I will be more then happy to get in...I mean its a safe bet on my side :D

I have only one signature to be marred by Sparky's sick mug.

But if you'd like the honor wearing the RED and BLUE of the mighty University of Arizona Wildcats, I'm happy to extend to you the opportunity.

If you really think it's a safe bet on your side, you're clearly a product of the ASU "education" system.

You overestimate your abilities. You underestimate ours. And you don't know your history.

Proving once again that ASU only issues BS degrees.

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

hey I already know it's going to be a great game, too bad I won't be there, i'm going to be out of town at that time which really sucks, but don't worry Amare, I hope you really BEAR Down(If ya know what I mean...)Cant wait to see you in colors of Maroon and Gold. Also why not have someone make a sig to see who the better team was...

ASU's pattern is to exhibit tremendous self-regard -- they claimed they were Pac-10 title / national title contenders this year, again.

Their arrogance is then belied by their consistently disappointing results, such as this season's 5-4 (3-3 Pac-10) record.

The embarassment of which is regularly compounded by a loss to my own University of Arizona Wildcats, including last season's 34-27 defeat to an Arizona team that entered the game w/ a 2-8 record.  Arizona leads the all-time series 44-33-1, including a 15-7-1 split since 1982.

This despite ASU's laughable fantasy that they are a "football school."    :rolleyes:

In fact, ASU is middling at football (and our personal whipping boys), terrible in basketball and solid only in baseball.  Where they really excell is in their ratio of athletes arrested for murder, sexual assault, etc.

Arizona is a bona fide basketball powerhouse.  We have a nationally ranked baseball program.  And as evidenced by our 52-14 whupping of UCLA, we are on the cusp of having a formidable football program under the leadership of Coach Mike Stoops.

So Sparky, get ready to have that unjustifiedly smug smirk smacked off your face.  November 25 in Tempe, Arizona will kick ASU's yellow asses up and down the field.

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

I neglected to add: ASU is fabulous at earning NCAA sanctions --

ASU gets 2-year probation from NCAA

Cited for lack of institutional control

Jeff Metcalfe

The Arizona Republic

Nov. 10, 2005

Arizona State received a two-year probation from the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions today Thursday for impermissible financial aid and lack of institutional control.

The penalty is the same as that imposed by the Pac-10 in early June. It is not directed toward any ASU team or coach and does not prevent any postseason participation.

ASU began an internal investigation into extra benefits received by former tailback Loren Wade4 and a second unidentified athlete from former compliance department assistant Wendy Adams. That led to the discovery of unrelated problems in financial aid monitoring resulting in impermissible aid of $4 to $8334 being granted to 614 athletes between fall 2002 and summer 2004.

The larger aid issue resulted in the finding of lack of institutional control. The committee, chaired by Alabama law professor Gene Marsh, also imposed what is known as a "show cause penalty" against Adams. Any NCAA school seeking to hire Adams for athletically related work over the next six years must appear before the committee to determine if her activities should be limited.

"The intentional violations of NCAA bylaws by someone in a position responsible for preventing the very violations she committed resulted in a finding of unethical conduct," and the show cause penalty, Marsh said.

Marsh praised ASU for its immediate response and complete cooperation with the Pac-10 and NCAA.

The probationary period runs through Nov. 9, 2007. ASU officials are required to audit all aspects of its financial aid and textbook distribution during that time and report to the Pac-10 and NCAA.

"Some systems weren’t right," said Virgil Renzulli, ASU vice president of public affairs. "We’ve corrected those, and we’ll be super vigilant. This allows us to move on."

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

i'd rather be a party school and be in stripes any day than be in Tucson!!! All BS aside you know this will be a good game, and you know that respect is there, so all I can say is good luck mildcats and good luck to you Amare

What is this, the Arizona-Arizona State thread?!?

Fluff the WildKittens and Fluff the Sun Dorks. U-Dub is the only way to go if you're for the Pac-10.

i'm sorry but the Washington Puppies aaaarrrreeee???

Oh wait hang on lets see where they are in the Pacific 10!!

#5 Arizona State(5-4(3-3))

#8 Arizona(3-6(2-4))

#10 PUPPIES(1-8(0-6))

So if you notice, The Washington Puppies are not the way to go since they are pretty much the suckiest team in the Western United States, at least we know both teams have a chance to make it to a bowl while Willingham and his Puppies are going to crying to themselves for the next 3 years...

i'm sorry but the Washington Puppies aaaarrrreeee???

Oh wait hang on lets see where they are in the Pacific 10!!

#5 Arizona State(5-4(3-3))

#8 Arizona(3-6(2-4))

#10 PUPPIES(1-8(0-6))

So if you notice, The Washington Puppies are not the way to go since they are pretty much the suckiest team in the Western United States, at least we know both teams have a chance to make it to a bowl while Willingham and his Puppies are going to crying to themselves for the next 3 years...

Sorry, but even an devout Washington fan wouldn't stoop so low as to admit that they are worst then Wazzu and Idaho and Utah State and New Mexico State.

See, four teams that U-Dub is much better then. Make it five when they beat amare's WildKittens this weekend (Too bad your Sun Dorks got away, lilg. There's always next year).

See, four teams that U-Dub is much better then. Make it five when they beat amare's WildKittens this weekend (Too bad your Sun Dorks got away, lilg. There's always next year).

Your grasp of unreality rivals that of an ASU apologist. Impressive.

'Willie factor' at UA can't be good for ASU

Dan Bickley

The Arizona Republic

Nov. 11, 2005 12:00 AM

TUCSON

The meow has become a roar.

It has football fans at Sparky U very frightened.

"We're closing the gap," Arizona coach Mike Stoops said. "And that's going to add fuel to the rivalry."

Like the fire wasn't hot enough.

So bear down, buckle up and step into Arizona State's worst nightmare. The intrastate rival is no longer a football doormat.

After a rough initiation, Stoops has caught the scent of success, and he's bounding around like a bloodhound on the trail. Arizona's freshman quarterback, Willie Tuitama, seems to be covered with stardust, reminding observers of a young Jake Plummer.

And with their jaw-dropping victory over an unbeaten UCLA team last weekend, the Wildcats have a top-10 pelt on the wall, something ASU will fail to accomplish in 2005.

"I'm sure people that watched that game couldn't believe what they were seeing," Stoops said. "But our belief is as high as it has ever been. You win when you're ready to win, and now the screw is starting to turn."

For ASU alumni, the timing couldn't be worse. It's bad enough that November brings basketballs out of the closet, where the rivalry between two state schools devolves into the Globetrotters and the Generals. But this watershed moment in Stoops' program has had a remarkable ripple effect.

In California, two highly coveted twins from Simi Valley - Cory (6 feet 5, 255) and Ricky Elmore (6-5, 235) - reportedly committed to Arizona after the unexpected torching of UCLA. In Oklahoma, it prompted questions as to how Mike's brother, the celebrated Bob Stoops, lost by 17 points to the same UCLA team in September.

In Phoenix, it cast a heavy pall over the Sun Devils' season.

ASU now must go on the road to play the seething Bruins, a team coming off a 38-point drubbing. And because the Wildcats play Washington at home, there's a strong chance that Arizona will arrive in Tempe for the annual hissing match with a three-game winning streak.

That could ruin Thanksgiving dinner.

Already, ASU fans are on edge. During an interview with Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., about the late Pat Tillman, talk show host Bill O'Reilly remarked how Tillman attended the University of Arizona. It is an unpardonable sin and predictably caused a message-board fury.

But now the Wildcats are earning their national praise on the football field. Even worse, they've finally found an impact quarterback, something they never have in Tucson. This is a program that hasn't produced a NFL quarterback in three decades (Bill Demory, who played for the New York Jets in 1973-74).

While ASU has stamped out a succession of QB royalty - Danny White, Mark Malone, Mike Pagel, Jeff Van Raaphorst, Paul Justin, Jake Plummer, Andrew Walter - the Wildcats have never had a first-team, All Pac-10 quarterback in its history.

Then Tuitama stepped on the field, and the effect has been magical. Even the defense seems to run faster with this kid behind center.

"There is definitely a Willie factor, ain't no question about it," Stoops said. "His poise, his leadership skills and his ability to make plays are something we haven't had around here. Willie brings another dimension to our team, and kids just migrate toward him."

So now, after 1 1/2 years of rebuilding, a task Stoops calls "the hardest thing I've ever done in my life," the results are finally starting to show. The Wildcats are no longer a Pac-10 punch line or a blocking sled for opponents. It's November in a basketball town and everyone's talking about football. The stink of John Mackovic has finally left the city.

"People thought I was crazy when I first said this, but I wouldn't have come here if I didn't think we could compete for a championship," Stoops said.

For the first time since Stoops landed at Arizona, no one is laughing at his brash claims. And palms are starting to sweat in Tempe, where Halloween could go on well past Thanksgiving.

Too bad theres no Navy fans for the upcoming Army/Navy next month.

If I'm unable to find any Georgia Tech fans here, I'll take Navy, since they have Georgia Southern's old coach....

paynomind is a georgia tech grad, and superfan.

Your grasp of unreality rivals that of an ASU apologist. Impressive.

Grasp of unreality, eh amare?

Washington 38, Arizona 14 (FINAL)

I guess I can say that YOU had that grasp of unreality and not me. Now, with those WildKittens taken care of, it's time to focus on not only beating Waz-Spew and bringing back the Apple Cup to Seattle, but to make OMMF and Tenecious G look like total dummies for rooting for the enemy...

Your grasp of unreality rivals that of an ASU apologist.  Impressive.

I guess I can say that YOU had that grasp of unreality and not me. Now, with those WildKittens taken care of, it's time to focus on not only beating Waz-Spew and bringing back the Apple Cup to Seattle, but to make OMMF and Tenecious G look like total dummies for rooting for the enemy...

Touché. :D

agreed

agreed

How'd that whole UCLA thing work out for you, lilg?

Where they really excell is in their ratio of athletes arrested for murder, sexual assault, etc.

You think I'm kidding? Just another day at Arizona State Penitentiary...er, University.

Former ASU football player accused of police assault

Sarah Muench

The Arizona Republic

Nov. 18, 2005 12:00 PM

A former Arizona State University football player was arrested early Friday after he attacked a Tempe police officer outside of a bar, police said.

Authorities allege that Nicholas Patrick Johnson, 21, a former ASU defensive end, spun around Tempe police Sgt. James Click and punched him in the face, knocking him out with a broken nose and fractured cheek bone.

Click was hospitalized and is set to undergo reconstructive surgery this weekend.

At about 2 a.m., Click and several other officers were called to a fight at ACME Roadhouse Bar at 955 S. Rural Road in Tempe and while attempting to break it up, Johnson knocked Click out, grabbed another officer and threw him to the ground and punched a bouncer in the face, police said.

Police used a Taser on Johnson and arrested him on two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and one count of misdemeanor assault.

Johnson is a Chandler High graduate who was dismissed from ASU's football team for a rules violation in 2003.

Johnson, who took over for All-America defensive end Terrell Suggs in 2002, was arrested in 2003 on counts of misdemeanor assault and criminal damage when he and another player got in a fight.

Click, an 8-year Tempe police veteran, was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn where he remains hospitalized.

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

Where they really excell is in their ratio of athletes arrested for murder, sexual assault, etc.

You think I'm kidding? Just another day at Arizona State Penitentiary...er, University.

Sarah Muench

The Arizona Republic

A former Arizona State University football player was arrested early Friday after he attacked a Tempe police officer outside of a bar, police said.

Authorities allege that Nicholas Patrick Johnson, 21, a former ASU defensive end, spun around Tempe police Sgt. James Click and punched him in the face, knocking him out with a broken nose and fractured cheek bone.

Click was hospitalized and is set to undergo reconstructive surgery this weekend.

At about 2 a.m., Click and several other officers were called to a fight at ACME Roadhouse Bar at 955 S. Rural Road in Tempe and while attempting to break it up, Johnson knocked Click out, grabbed another officer and threw him to the ground and punched a bouncer in the face, police said.

Police used a Taser on Johnson and arrested him on two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and one count of misdemeanor assault.

Johnson is a Chandler High graduate who was dismissed from ASU's football team for a rules violation in 2003.

Johnson, who took over for All-America defensive end Terrell Suggs in 2002, was arrested in 2003 on counts of misdemeanor assault and criminal damage when he and another player got in a fight.

Click, an 8-year Tempe police veteran, was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn where he remains hospitalized.

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

amare,

I agree that ASU doesnt have the cleanest record, but you are taking taking this out of context...The ONLY reason you dont see this kind of stuff down in Tuscon is because the sad state the city of Tuscon is in...Pretty much all of your police force has to deal with the boarder security while the Tempe police are literally EVERYWHERE...I am not saying anything bad about police because I have a cousin who is currently part of the Phoenix Police, but the Tempe police force is like nothing I have ever seen before...Anyways...you hate ASU, I hate UofEH and anything related to Tuscon...lets just leave it at that without constinently bring up news stories that are simply aimed at leaving ASU look terrible...And trust me...there are pleanty of news stories to show just how horrible of a place Tuscon is.

PopHeading-1.gif

Sarah Muench

The Arizona Republic

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

amare,

I agree that ASU doesnt have the cleanest record, but you are taking taking this out of context...The ONLY reason you dont see this kind of stuff down in Tuscon is because the sad state the city of Tuscon is in...Pretty much all of your police force has to deal with the boarder security while the Tempe police are literally EVERYWHERE...I am not saying anything bad about police because I have a cousin who is currently part of the Phoenix Police, but the Tempe police force is like nothing I have ever seen before...Anyways...you hate ASU, I hate UofEH and anything related to Tuscon...lets just leave it at that without constinently bring up news stories that are simply aimed at leaving ASU look terrible...And trust me...there are pleanty of news stories to show just how horrible of a place Tuscon is.

You're welcome to make the case against UA any way you like. I can take the heat.

As for the exploits of the ASU athletic department, all I've done is present stories originally reported by the good folks at The Arizona Republic -- ASU's hometown paper.

If the stories make ASU look terrible, well ... the truth hurts.

I believe in moderation in virtually every aspect of my life. I even try to be fair to Republicans, cos I know there are some reasonable ones out there.

The one indulgence I allow myself is to savage the Sun Devils.

It's good fun and there's just too much ammunition at my disposal to resist -- baseless arrogance, ugly uniforms, widespread criminality and corruption in the athletic department, fratboy pornographers, plastic fantastic co-eds and (last but not least) a pitiful record against the University of Arizona.

Believe me, it's not personal. Some of my best friends are Sun Devils. This is about your school, not you. No hard feelings, pal.

BEAR DOWN, ARIZONA!

Oh, no no no...

This is not the Arizona-Arizona State thread, remember? Plus, a certain WildKittens fan that's here should be a little more quieter before I start rubbing in Washington's win over said WildKittens.

Oh, and that other Sun Dorks fan doesn't have much really to begin with.

Now, just to find OMMF and give him a piece of my mind for that pic of the Space Needle covered in that Waz-Spew flith...

Archived